Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 3799
September 21st, 2020 at 12:31:54 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Everything is a longer walk than it looks like it will be.



Oh that's for damn sure. Walking from one end to the other of Caesar's looks easy but it must be at least three miles.
NO KILL I
megapixels
megapixels
Joined: Feb 5, 2011
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 96
September 21st, 2020 at 7:26:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

... I seriously can't think of a single one. I can't think of any ATM's branded to a bank either, but could be wrong on that. As Angela said, I would use an ATM that isn't in a casino, like at Walgreens, if you must.



Capital One 360 checking allows you to use the Allpoint ATMs for free that are located all over the strip.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1343
  • Posts: 22221
September 25th, 2020 at 2:50:17 PM permalink
Here is my next video on money-saving advice in Vegas. I welcome all comments.


Direct: https://youtu.be/UoXPIeLgOkw
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 95
  • Posts: 4382
September 25th, 2020 at 4:41:50 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

An upcoming video with Angela will be on the topic of Vegas scams. Here is a list we put together, but we welcome other suggestions and comments if some of these should not be considered a scam.

1. Paid parking
2. Resort fees
3. Reservations.com
4. Concession and franchise fees
5. Charging to use mini-fridge
6. Welcome to Vegas sign photo-people
7. “Free CD” people
8. Street entertainers
9. Gift shop prices
10. Water sellers on strip
11. Timeshare pitches
12. Long-hauling cab drivers
13. Night club promoters
14. Hypnotist / lip-synch shows
15. ATM fees
16. “Hot babes direct to you.”
17. Three card monty.
18. West rim Grand Canyon


I saw the video, but don't remember seeing anything about "hypnotist/lip-synch shows" or "the west rim of the Grand Canyon." What scams are involved with these?

Was there a mention of water sellers on the Strip? I assume you're talking about the scam where some people selling water (usually on/near the pedestrian bridges) will fill old bottles with tap water and either (a) snap new caps on them (they're not that hard to get), or (b) put old caps on them, then "do you the favor" of removing the cap for you to hide the fact that the bottle had already been opened.

And pardon me for being pedantic, but "three-card monte" is spelled with an E, not a Y. Also note that there is usually a big difference between "the Monte" and the shell game; in Monte, the "winning card" is always somewhere on the table, whereas in the shell game, the operator removes the pea from the shell, then slips it back in as he is revealing the "winning" shell. (Did somebody ask, "What prevents you from betting on the right card in Monte"? There are a number of ways; for example, as you are about to bet, one of the shills will also try to make a bet, and the dealer will accept only his bet (a "rule" conveniently ignored when multiple people try to bet on the "bent corner" card), and if worse comes to worse, the associate whose job it is to beat the winner up and take his money.)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 95
  • Posts: 4382
September 25th, 2020 at 5:05:43 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Here is my next video on money-saving advice in Vegas. I welcome all comments.


Here are a couple, but they are tied to particular hotel chains.

1 - The Caesar's and MGM credit cards. Caesar's usually gives you 1% of your purchases in credits that can be used at their hotels and restaurants; I think MGM is more like 3%, but you have to jump through some hoops to use them. The points build up quickly when you use the cards for things like paying your cable bill.

2 - MGM has been running something called "MyVegas" for years; it is online slots and blackjack where you can earn "loyalty points" that can be cashed in for various discounts or even tickets to shows. Note that some of the shows are quite popular and tickets always seem to be sold out (there was a time when they were "reset" every day at 7 AM Pacific - this is how I got a free ticket to Love - but too many people discovered this), and more and more of them require that you stay at an MGM property, but you can still get some good deals, and note that the site is free (it makes money from people who feel they have to buy additional chips).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1343
  • Posts: 22221
September 25th, 2020 at 8:31:55 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

I saw the video, but don't remember seeing anything about "hypnotist/lip-synch shows" or "the west rim of the Grand Canyon." What scams are involved with these?



I decided to leave that out. However, my opinions on the West Rim will be made known in my next video.

Quote:

Was there a mention of water sellers on the Strip? I assume you're talking about the scam where some people selling water (usually on/near the pedestrian bridges) will fill old bottles with tap water and either (a) snap new caps on them (they're not that hard to get), or (b) put old caps on them, then "do you the favor" of removing the cap for you to hide the fact that the bottle had already been opened.



There was some kind of mistake in the editing and that part, which ran rather long, didn't make it in. Angela and I cover it briefly in the next video. Angela believes that is in fact what is happening, where I'm skeptical of it.

Quote:

And pardon me for being pedantic, but "three-card monte" is spelled with an E, not a Y. Also note that there is usually a big difference between "the Monte" and the shell game; in Monte, the "winning card" is always somewhere on the table, whereas in the shell game, the operator removes the pea from the shell, then slips it back in as he is revealing the "winning" shell. (Did somebody ask, "What prevents you from betting on the right card in Monte"? There are a number of ways; for example, as you are about to bet, one of the shills will also try to make a bet, and the dealer will accept only his bet (a "rule" conveniently ignored when multiple people try to bet on the "bent corner" card), and if worse comes to worse, the associate whose job it is to beat the winner up and take his money.)



Is there a question in there somewhere?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1343
  • Posts: 22221
Thanks for this post from:
Zuga
October 6th, 2020 at 5:18:54 PM permalink
The third of the three Mike & Angela on the Strip videos is out. Sorry it went on so long. It's still in private mode so I can make edits if anything is obviously flawed. I welcome all comments.


Direct: https://youtu.be/uC5eLD8Kei0.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
TinMan
TinMan
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 151
October 6th, 2020 at 6:01:46 PM permalink
I think the length is fine. One potential “flaw” (which may or may not be worth correcting or possible to correct) is there are a few times you’re switching between shots and it appears you did a countdown of “1, 2, 3.” A few times the “3” part of that is still audible. Not really a big deal so if it’s hard to edit I think it’s fine to leave in.
If anyone gives you 10,000 to 1 on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I am going to be a very rich dude.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1343
  • Posts: 22221
October 6th, 2020 at 6:35:16 PM permalink
Quote: TinMan

I think the length is fine. One potential “flaw” (which may or may not be worth correcting or possible to correct) is there are a few times you’re switching between shots and it appears you did a countdown of “1, 2, 3.” A few times the “3” part of that is still audible. Not really a big deal so if it’s hard to edit I think it’s fine to leave in.



Yeah, I noticed that. I need to pause more between 3 and starting to speak. In those cases, I went right into it after "3" and it was hard to do a perfect cut.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1343
  • Posts: 22221
October 10th, 2020 at 6:08:33 PM permalink
Here is my first of several videos on fun/silly/simple games you might play at your next poker night. The first is on Screw Your Neighbor. Enjoy! I welcome all comments.



Direct: https://youtu.be/2VJLsg0Wrpc

I analyze the two-player situation, but where aces are low, in my Screw Your Neighbor page.
Last edited by: Wizard on Oct 10, 2020
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

  • Jump to: