Poll

1 vote (10%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (20%)
1 vote (10%)
1 vote (10%)
1 vote (10%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (20%)
1 vote (10%)
1 vote (10%)

10 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1426
  • Posts: 24454
February 25th, 2019 at 5:46:30 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Here are the betting favorites for the 2019 Academy Awards and the probability of winning, as suggested by the going odds:

Award Winner Odds
Best Picture Roma 68.75%
Best Director Alfonso Cuaron 92.08%
Best Actor Rami Malek 84.47%
Best Actress Glenn Close 84.91%
 Best Supporting Actor Mahershala Ali 92.08%
Best Supporting Actress  Regina King 69.70%
Best Animated Feature Film  Spider-Man 93.06%
 Best Foreign Language Film Roma 92.59%
 Best Cinematography  Roma 90.91%
Best Original Song  Shallow - Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born 95.24%



Hit all of them except Best Picture and Best Actress. Glad I didn't bet this year. I probably wouldn't have bet Best Picture, but Best Actress would have wiped winnings in every other category and more.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1426
  • Posts: 24454
February 25th, 2019 at 5:49:07 AM permalink
As a bit of trivia, and correct me I'm wrong, but I believe the only two times Spike Lee was up for best picture were for Do the Right Thing and BlacKKKlansman. Do the Right thing lost to Driving Miss Daisy, a movie about a black chauffeur for a white client. This year he lost to a movie about a white chauffeur for a black client.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
ams288
ams288
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 5640
February 25th, 2019 at 5:52:08 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

As a bit of trivia, and correct me I'm wrong, but I believe the only two times Spike Lee was up for best picture were for Do the Right Thing and BlacKKKlansman. Do the Right thing lost to Driving Miss Daisy, a movie about a black chauffeur for a white client. This year he lost to a movie about a white chauffeur for a black client.



“Every time somebody is driving somebody I lose. They changed the seating arrangement.” - Spike Lee to the press last night in the green room
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 3393
February 25th, 2019 at 5:53:09 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

As a bit of trivia, and correct me I'm wrong, but I believe the only two times Spike Lee was up for best picture were for Do the Right Thing and BlacKKKlansman. Do the Right thing lost to Driving Miss Daisy, a movie about a black chauffeur for a white client. This year he lost to a movie about a white chauffeur for a black client.


This is correct.

Last night Spike Lee threw a fit when he didn’t win and stormed out of the room. Jordon Peele talked him down and he returned to his seat.

I’ve always thought Spike Lee was a jerk based on other incidents, and last night confirmed.
ams288
ams288
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 5640
February 25th, 2019 at 5:56:44 AM permalink
Lots of liberals are upset about Green Book winning for some reason. I don’t get it.

I haven’t seen it so I have no strong feelings whatsoever. And I’d still like to see it.

I just think it’s interesting that it was directed by Peter Farrelly, one half of the “Farrelly Brothers” who directed comedies like Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin, and There’s Something About Mary. Never would have guessed he’d be an Oscar winner one day.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 3393
February 25th, 2019 at 6:31:33 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Lots of liberals are upset about Green Book winning for some reason. I don’t get it.

I haven’t seen it so I have no strong feelings whatsoever. And I’d still like to see it.

I just think it’s interesting that it was directed by Peter Farrelly, one half of the “Farrelly Brothers” who directed comedies like Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin, and There’s Something About Mary. Never would have guessed he’d be an Oscar winner one day.


Because many on the far left are virtue signalers who get outraged recreationally.

They are upset because it has a white hero in a film about racism.

Anyone upset about it should be ignored. It was a great movie.
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 5903
February 25th, 2019 at 6:39:48 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Lots of liberals are upset about Green Book winning for some reason. I don’t get it.

I haven’t seen it so I have no strong feelings whatsoever. And I’d still like to see it.

I just think it’s interesting that it was directed by Peter Farrelly, one half of the “Farrelly Brothers” who directed comedies like Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin, and There’s Something About Mary. Never would have guessed he’d be an Oscar winner one day.




I'm ok with the win. It is what it is. People in the industry voted for this movie.
I have heard that the family of the piano player are unhappy about the inaccuracy of the movie but what movie is accurate
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 4139
February 25th, 2019 at 8:09:00 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob


That's how much the public hated B/W.



So, enthusiastic use of new technology equates to unbridled vitriol of old technology?

Look at all these people driving cars... that's how much they hate horses.

Hey, Evenbob... why are you using a computer to communicate? Do you really hate writing letters and making phone calls that much?

Why are you on a forum to learn about gambling? Do you really hate books that much?

Quote: MaxPen

The libs are seeing Trump's hair in the stage design. He is definitely living in their heads...lol
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/02/oscars-stage-designed-to-look-like-trumps-hair/
Personally, I don't remotely see it or any resemblance for that matter.



LOL... that article quotes TWO WHOLE TWEETS from people basically saying, "That kind of looks like Trump's hair" and Gateway Pundit melts down and thinks "teh libz are losing their minds! Hur hur hurr!" Gotta invent reasons to be outraged to keep the Trump Train running, I guess.....
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1426
  • Posts: 24454
February 25th, 2019 at 8:13:14 AM permalink
This was a weak year for movies, in my opinion, but somebody had to win. Movies I saw that were up for best picture were:

Bohemian Rhapsody
A Star is Born
BlacKKKlansman
The Favourite

All of them were good movies, but none of them great. If you put a gun to my head and make me vote for one, and "none of the above" weren't an option, I think I would go with BlacKKKlansman, not so much based on that movie alone, but I think Spike is overdue.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
michael99000
michael99000
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2112
Thanks for this post from:
aceofspadesRogerKint
February 25th, 2019 at 8:49:08 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

, but I think Spike is overdue.



Gamblers fallacy

  • Jump to: