reno
reno
Joined: Jan 20, 2010
  • Threads: 124
  • Posts: 721
February 27th, 2015 at 8:47:49 AM permalink
The observable universe has more than 100 billion galaxies. Our own Milky Way is home to around 300 billion stars. One reasonable estimate of the stellar population is 70 billion trillion (7 x 1022) stars. But Earth is the only place in the universe with intelligent life.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 312
  • Posts: 8659
February 27th, 2015 at 10:23:47 AM permalink
Quote: reno

Earth is the only place in the universe with intelligent life.



?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
reno
reno
Joined: Jan 20, 2010
  • Threads: 124
  • Posts: 721
February 27th, 2015 at 10:42:54 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

?



Sarcasm.

Out of trillions of planets, the probability that Earth is the only one with intelligent life is extraordinarily low.

A better argument against the existence of extraterrestrial UFOs is that the physical distance between planets (measured in millions of light years) prevents aliens from a distant part of the universe from visiting Earth. Even that argument has its flaws, but at least it's rational.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 312
  • Posts: 8659
February 27th, 2015 at 12:47:19 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Sarcasm.

Out of trillions of planets, the probability that Earth is the only one with intelligent life is extraordinarily low.

A better argument against the existence of extraterrestrial UFOs is that the physical distance between planets (measured in millions of light years) prevents aliens from a distant part of the universe from visiting Earth. Even that argument has its flaws, but at least it's rational.



how sweet would it be if we discover aliens in our lifetime? OK, probable in the extreme it's not intelligent life, and unlikely perhaps at all odds, but we have a shot, it may be up to the Russkies and things aren't going well with them these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_Jupiter_System_Mission_%E2%80%93_Laplace
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1399
  • Posts: 23626
February 27th, 2015 at 4:25:54 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Out of trillions of planets, the probability that Earth is the only one with intelligent life is extraordinarily low.



Why is it that none of them seem to have found us?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
Joined: Jun 13, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2233
Thanks for this post from:
CrystalMath
February 27th, 2015 at 4:53:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Why is it that none of them seem to have found us?

Last week while clearing some yard debris I came across a small anthill at the edge of my property. Are they aware they've been found? They are tiny little ants that I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't happen to kneel down to dig up a weed. I left them alone, since the little critters are way at the back, and don't annoy me. For now.
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1399
  • Posts: 23626
February 27th, 2015 at 5:13:35 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

Last week while clearing some yard debris I came across a small anthill at the edge of my property. Are they aware they've been found? They are tiny little ants that I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't happen to kneel down to dig up a weed. I left them alone, since the little critters are way at the back, and don't annoy me. For now.



They will be aware they've been found when I pour moulten aluminum down their hole.

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 312
  • Posts: 8659
February 27th, 2015 at 6:12:31 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Why is it that none of them seem to have found us?



"why havent we found them?" is also being asked. A lot of effort going into searching for signals.

my own theory is that the universe is such a dangerous place that intelligent life keeps getting wiped out.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
February 27th, 2015 at 6:13:58 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

They will be aware they've been found when I pour moulten aluminum down their hole...



I guess if E.T. is gonna do something with your hole, a probe is not the worse thing in the universe... hehe


That is a cool sculpture, but what happens when the entombed ant carcasses start to rot?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 151
  • Posts: 20042
February 27th, 2015 at 6:36:56 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

"why havent we found them?" is also being asked. A lot of effort going into searching for signals.

my own theory is that the universe is such a dangerous place that intelligent life keeps getting wiped out.

Or they wipe themselves out... just like we probably will.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪

  • Jump to: