dk
dk
  • Threads: 20
December 2nd, 2009 at 2:42:54 PM permalink
I'm working on putting together a combined golf/poker tournament with my co-workers. The basic structure is:

Part 1) Play an 18-hole round of golf
Part 2) Play a poker tournament where your starting stack is based on your golf score (lower score=more chips)

I feel comfortable in creating a blind structure for the poker tournament, but I was hoping for suggestions on other aspects.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding:
-how to translate golf scores into chip stacks (e.g., start with 20,000-100*golf score)
-how to get people to use the same method of scoring in golf--seems like everyone has a different level of "strictness" when it comes to adhering to the rules (and many don't know the actual rules)
-how to make the event more fun (e.g., bonus starting chips for # drinks consumed--up to a limit)
-a good name for this type of tournament ("Grip It & Flip It" was the title given to me, but I think it could be better)
-any other suggestions

Thanks.
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
December 2nd, 2009 at 11:05:16 PM permalink
Quote: dk

I'm working on putting together a combined golf/poker tournament with my co-workers. The basic structure is:

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding:
-how to translate golf scores into chip stacks (e.g., start with 20,000-100*golf score)
-how to get people to use the same method of scoring in golf--seems like everyone has a different level of "strictness" when it comes to adhering to the rules (and many don't know the actual rules)
-how to make the event more fun (e.g., bonus starting chips for # drinks consumed--up to a limit)
-a good name for this type of tournament ("Grip It & Flip It" was the title given to me, but I think it could be better)
-any other suggestions

Thanks.

The easiest way to solve the chip stack problem would be to take whatever the par score for the course you decide is and use that as your starting point so if the par score is 70 and your round total is 70 you get 25000 chips. Then add or deduct 1000 chips or so for every point over or under par.

To get people on the same page rule wise, I would suggest as the organiser writing the rules yourself. This would be a good way for you to set out the rules in a way everyone could understand and to cover anything you deem necessary.

on the poker side, to add a little crazyness you could always add in things such as any player winning a pot with 7-2 offsuit and showing the hand has to be given 100 chips by everyone at the table.

As for the name - Ace in The 19th Hole (in one)

i know it sucks.But hoped I helped anyway.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 3rd, 2009 at 2:05:27 AM permalink
I would award chips according to the order of finish in golf. For example:

1st = 10,000
2nd = 7,500
3rd = 5,000
4th = 4,000
5th = 3,000
etc.

Another idea, either alterantively or in addition, would be to award a certain number of chips per skin.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: