odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 310
July 17th, 2019 at 4:52:16 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Did the qualifying hand have to use both of their hole cards to form the high hand, or would a hand using only one hole card, or playing the board have counted as well?

Dealer's choice and sometimes there were 4 community cards only, but if anyone had played holdem and the board had the best hand, since there would be no loser, no bad beat. We did play some Omaha too, and you have to use 2 of your cards by rule already.*

Come to think of it, there was one guy who called a game "8 card poker" that used a house hand and you had to beat the house hand or that meant no winner and redeal, with the pot building. It's such a friendly game you could fold and get back in for the redeal LOL. The house and the players had 4 cards and the community cards were 4 cards turned over one at a time. So the house could pull a bad beat on one of the players I guess. He'd lose what he was betting and have a chance to get it back. I'm inclined to declare that a non-qualifier, what would you do? appreciate the feedback.

*just looked that up to be sure it's always played that way.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 17th, 2019 at 7:27:05 AM permalink
I’d say you have to use at least one card from your hand to qualify. Otherwise, it could easily be possible for the board to qualify, resulting in a split jackpot.

Did the presence of the jackpot encourage players to stay in with hands they would usually fold?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 310
July 17th, 2019 at 7:43:26 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Did the presence of the jackpot encourage players to stay in with hands they would usually fold?

I think that kind of thinking will be inevitable, however, it was so new to most of them I'm fairly sure it wasn't in play this last game. Except me, of course, who's had lots of time to think about it. A good situation did not arise, though, for me.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder

• Jump to: