1 vote (3.03%)

33 members have voted

RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
June 17th, 2017 at 11:38:53 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

R.I.F.

You're overly generous but if you got it, why not? More than once, a high tier card holder has cut in front of me in line at a buffet when I'm next to be waited on. Standing there, trying not to think bad thoughts in my head about the person, the cashier informs me that the person has used their comp to buy my buffet. Random acts of kindness like that, especially in sin city, really warms the heart.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 978
June 17th, 2017 at 12:38:20 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

If somebody asked me to split a $180 tab for wine I never drank I would laugh in their face right at the table and tell them pound sand.

I've told this story before so please forgive me. A friend of mine was a pretty high roller at the Wynn and his host invited him and a guest (me) to a nice dinner. The host made it clear to my friend that he would comp the dinner and my friend would just have to get the tip. My friend relayed this to me, so we agreed to split the tip before the dinner.

When it comes time to order wine, I defer to the host, who seems to know wines better than me. He said, "How about a blah blah blah." I replied something like, "You're the expert at this table." Only me and the host drank the wine.

When it comes time to pay the tip I look at the check and see this guy ordered a $1,000 bottle of wine! I had absolutely no idea. It tasted no better than a $40 bottle I can get at Total Wine & More. My friend then sees the check and says he will pay half the tip on the food but he didn't have any wine so didn't feel obligated to tip on that. To be honest, he had a good point. At this point I said "I don't think the rules of etiquette say you have to tip the whole way on a $1,000 bottle of wine." To this, the host replied, with more than a hint of attitude, "Well, just tip 10% on the wine then." So I did.

In telling this story, I've been told the host ordered such an expensive bottle so his friends in the waitstaff would get a bigger tip.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 7
June 17th, 2017 at 12:54:07 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

At this point I said "I don't think the rules of etiquette say you have to tip the whole way on a $1,000 bottle of wine." To this, the host replied, with more than a hint of attitude, "Well, just tip 10% on the wine then." So I did.

Me: "How about this: I had two glasses out of that bottle of wine. When I go to a bar, I usually tip $1 per drink. So you're getting a $2 tip on that bottle of wine."

Just kidding... I don't think I have the balls to do something like that. I agree with you that the standard rules of etiquette shouldn't apply here. ESPECIALLY if the host more or less surprised you with the cost after the fact. It that situation I probably just would have peed in my pants a little at the $1,000 price tag, dropped a $20 bill on the table, and got the hell out of there as fast as I could while everyone was giving me dirty looks. Screw 'em for trying to trick me.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 978
June 17th, 2017 at 1:19:54 PM permalink
For what it is worth, I went onto some wine forums after this incident to see if anyone had asked about tipping etiquette on ultra-expensive wine. Suffice it to say, there was a lot of heated debate on the topic from both sides. As you would expect, people who worked in the restaurant business basically said, "If you can afford the wine, you can afford to tip the whole way." The other side argued that it doesn't take any extra effort to pour a $50 bottle than a $5000 bottle. The other side disputed this argument, saying better crystal will be used for a $5000 bottle and they will do a lot more ceremony around it, like decanting it. In my case, I didn't notice any extra ceremony, but $1,000 for a bottle of wine may not impress anybody at the Wynn, where some bottles can cost five figures. Suffice it to say, it was a controversial topic.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 17th, 2017 at 2:08:35 PM permalink

As you would expect, people who worked in the restaurant business basically said, "If you can afford the wine, you can afford to tip the whole way."

That's a BS argument, if you ask me. You don't tip based on what you can "afford," you tip based on service. The service and effort put into serving a bottle of wine is a fraction of the service and effort put into preparing and serving a multi-course meal. Yeah, if I can afford a $1,000 bottle of wine, I can certainly afford a $200 tip. But what did you do to EARN that $200? Waving a cork under my nose and using the "guest glasses" is not worth $200.

I don't buy the "ceremony" argument, either. I've been in nice restaurants, gotten a $40 bottle of wine, and they did the whole pomp and circumstance -- examining the label, passing around the cork, pouring a sample/tasting glass, decanting into a separate bottle, etc.... what else do they do for $1,000 bottle??

Anyway, like I know what I'm talking about when it comes to wine.... haha... it all tastes like sour grape juice to me.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 68
June 17th, 2017 at 2:10:17 PM permalink

If somebody asked me to split a $180 tab for wine I never drank I would laugh in their face right at the table and tell them pound sand.

My date drank much of it. I'm responsible for her, no?
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 17th, 2017 at 2:50:48 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

My date drank much of it. I'm responsible for her, no?

Okay, I had to go back and re-read the details.

I don't know. It sounds like a lose-lose situation. From an etiquette standpoint I suppose you should be responsible for her, but it also sounds like she was taking advantage of you.
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
June 17th, 2017 at 2:55:59 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

You're overly generous but if you got it, why not? More than once, a high tier card holder has cut in front of me in line at a buffet when I'm next to be waited on. Standing there, trying not to think bad thoughts in my head about the person, the cashier informs me that the person has used their comp to buy my buffet. Random acts of kindness like that, especially in sin city, really warms the heart.

This works both ways... I have top cards all over town. I am always in the special line but many times the cashier waves the regular line ahead of me. At times it will happen a few times before they notice me. Some of these rubes rush the cashier not realizing I'm in the VIP line. I get steaming over it. Not one time has the regular line ever paid for my buffet. Don't they know that I have the highest card in the joint and have put a few 100k of coin in this month down 10k in cash? This depends on what Buffet though since some are set up with better VIP lines. I think why the F do I have this top card... it doesn't do sh-t for me... SOBs cutting in front of me all the time lol!!

I have one really useless top card that takes about 1mil coin in to get. I can't use it to jack hardly any lines. I don't think many people have it... it really is difficult to obtain. This card is really useless but the mail is unreal so it evens out.
Last edited by: monet0412 on Jun 17, 2017
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 68
June 17th, 2017 at 3:13:47 PM permalink

Okay, I had to go back and re-read the details.

I don't know. It sounds like a lose-lose situation. From an etiquette standpoint I suppose you should be responsible for her, but it also sounds like she was taking advantage of you.

I'm not sure she was aware of the prices and pretty sure she was simply used to men falling all over her. I put 100% of the blame on him.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
KevinAA
KevinAA
  • Threads: 2
July 9th, 2017 at 10:52:25 PM permalink

I've told this story before so please forgive me. A friend of mine was a pretty high roller at the Wynn and his host invited him and a guest (me) to a nice dinner. The host made it clear to my friend that he would comp the dinner and my friend would just have to get the tip. My friend relayed this to me, so we agreed to split the tip before the dinner.

When it comes time to order wine, I defer to the host, who seems to know wines better than me. He said, "How about a blah blah blah." I replied something like, "You're the expert at this table." Only me and the host drank the wine.

When it comes time to pay the tip I look at the check and see this guy ordered a $1,000 bottle of wine! I had absolutely no idea. It tasted no better than a $40 bottle I can get at Total Wine & More. My friend then sees the check and says he will pay half the tip on the food but he didn't have any wine so didn't feel obligated to tip on that. To be honest, he had a good point. At this point I said "I don't think the rules of etiquette say you have to tip the whole way on a $1,000 bottle of wine." To this, the host replied, with more than a hint of attitude, "Well, just tip 10% on the wine then." So I did.

In telling this story, I've been told the host ordered such an expensive bottle so his friends in the waitstaff would get a bigger tip.

I would have tipped zero. That was extortion and should not be tolerated.

• Jump to: