AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 10th, 2013 at 12:35:35 PM permalink
Hey good folks!

The time has come for my next Vegas trip, this coming Spring. For the first time, I'm dragging along my better half :). She has never been to Vegas and isn't really a gambler, but she loves laying out in the sun and reading, and unfortunately I have never made it to a pool on all of my ten trips to Vegas, being more concerned with partying and gambling.

And I'll just head off right here that I don't care to hear thoughts about "Why would you bring a non-gambler to Vegas?!?!!" (looking at you, EvenBob). Tickets are booked, the trip is happening, I will teach her to play a few games and aside from that she can keep herself entertained.

Checking out what I can get for free or nearly-free from the good folks at Total Rewards, I'm considering between Flamingo, Harrah's, Rio, and (ugh) Quad.

Flamingo
This is where I'm leaning. I have stayed at the Flamingo many, many times and I know the remodeled rooms are acceptable. My GF won't mind the fact that the property is old and kind of dumpy as long as the room is not run-down or dirty. Also the location is a known quantity. This is the only room I'm considering that isn't free, but it would only be $38 or $58 total for a 5-night stay depending on if I wanted a strip view or not. So I can handle that, and it's worth paying for a known quantity.

I have heard the pool is nice, but I have never been there. Looking at the website, looks like there are actually 2 pool areas. The "Beach Club" pool would probably be where she would end up, as a "non-stop pool party" is not really her speed.

Harrah's
I have never stayed here, but I can get a "Deluxe" or "Premium" room for free. Any feedback on these room types? Pool looks basic but functional.

Rio
I don't really want to stay at the Rio, since it's off-strip, but I know there's a shuttle that will get you to the strip, and worst case it's only about a 15-20 minute walk (looking at Google, haven't done this personally). But I can get a "Deluxe Studio Suite" for free, and the pool area here does look pretty swank. I know SOOPOO hangs out there, so I'll have to make sure the GF is ready to turn down propositions from wealthy doctors [just poking fun here :)].

Quad
I hesitate to even consider it, but I don't know how much has been remodeled. Also I can get a "Luv Tub" room for free, which would be hilarious. Could also get a "Deluxe" room for free. I hate these effin' room names, couldn't they just call them "nice, recently remodeled" rooms versus "dank, old rooms?" I guess that wouldn't be great for marketing.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. If you have any guidance, I'm all ears!
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
December 10th, 2013 at 1:02:35 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I don't really want to stay at the Rio, since it's off-strip, but I know there's a shuttle that will get you to the strip, and worst case it's only about a 15-20 minute walk (looking at Google, haven't done this personally). But I can get a "Deluxe Studio Suite" for free, and the pool area here does look pretty swank. I know SOOPOO hangs out there, so I'll have to make sure the GF is ready to turn down propositions from wealthy doctors [just poking fun here :)].

First make sure you are late enough to really be spring... If you are thinking March some pools won't even be open yet. I have stayed at Harrah's, Rio, and Flamingo. For just the pool I'd definitely pick Rio. Last time I was there there were two diifferent pools in the same location at different temperatures, as well as a small 'sand beach' pool. Due to being off the strip they probably had more land access than any of the other options. The Flamingo pool is also nice. The last time I stayed at Harrahs we walked over to the Flamingo to use their pool.....
Being off the strip is no big deal. I like walking, and Caesar's, as an example, is probably less than 10 minutes at a comfortable pace. I also always rent a car, as they are so cheap in Vegas, and parking is always free, and the 5 days rental will cost you way less than $200.
If things work out for me I'll be back the end of April, and we can share pool experiences. I won't hit on your girlfriend........
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
December 10th, 2013 at 1:16:54 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

First make sure you are late enough to really be spring... If you are thinking March some pools won't even be open yet. I have stayed at Harrah's, Rio, and Flamingo. For just the pool I'd definitely pick Rio. Last time I was there there were two diifferent pools in the same location at different temperatures, as well as a small 'sand beach' pool. Due to being off the strip they probably had more land access than any of the other options. The Flamingo pool is also nice. The last time I stayed at Harrahs we walked over to the Flamingo to use their pool.....
Being off the strip is no big deal. I like walking, and Caesar's, as an example, is probably less than 10 minutes at a comfortable pace. I also always rent a car, as they are so cheap in Vegas, and parking is always free, and the 5 days rental will cost you way less than $200.
If things work out for me I'll be back the end of April, and we can share pool experiences. I won't hit on your girlfriend........

I will be there late enough. I'd prefer not to discuss exact dates, but I'll PM you as the time approaches.

Thanks for the thoughts! I feel pretty comfortable with the Flamingo, but it sounds like the walk to Rio isn't that bad. I just wish I had done it once on one of my previous trips just for reference.
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 3
December 10th, 2013 at 1:51:11 PM permalink
The walk to the Rio from the strip sucks. You're walking over the I-15 overpass, and the sidewalks are pretty terrible the whole way. I've only done it during the day, and I don't think I'd even try it at night. This is coming from someone who has no problem walking from Mandalay Bay to The Wynn.

There are free shuttles from the Rio to Harrahs and Ballys. I would plan on those an cabs as your mode of transport to the strip if you stay at the Rio.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 10th, 2013 at 2:16:04 PM permalink
The Rio has by far the best pool "experience" of those 4. Harrah's isn't bad; you reach it on the 4th floor. I wouldn't stay in a hot tub suite; it takes a lot of room and you smell the chemicals while you're sleeping. The Flamingo is an unknown to me, so I can't give you a contrast worth hearing, since you've stayed there and I've only played there.

The shuttle service between TR properties is reasonably convenient. I think they advertise it as going every 1/2 hour; I would say it's closer to 40 minutes, but it works.

It's been a while, but the MGM Grand used to offer a day package to their pool that wasn't too expensive for non-hotel guests. They have a lazy river and several other nice things in their pool area. If you stayed at Harrah's, Flamingo, or Quad and used the monorail, it stops at all of those properties pretty directly. If your girlfriend wanted a pool adventure one day, it might well be worth her doing that.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
December 10th, 2013 at 2:23:13 PM permalink
I've stayed at all except Quad. If you are looking for a recommendation based on swimming pool, it's easily Rio, and then Flamingo. Harrah's pool is no more than a 50'x25' hole filled with water stuck between two buildings. Not impressive at all, in fact it's kind of depressing.

I don't know about the Quad, but given that the the rooms are still the same as they were when it was the IP (at least as of 3 months ago), and they sucked according to friends who stayed there because it was a 'deal', I don't have high hopes for the pool.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
December 10th, 2013 at 7:16:04 PM permalink
I think we'll stick with Flamingo. Some day I'll try Rio, but not on this trip. Harrah's pool sounds lame. Quad, yeah not even gonna go there.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
December 10th, 2013 at 9:17:49 PM permalink
Can someone help me confirm that I'm not going crazy? A week or so ago, I could have sworn that on the TR reservations page, it had some kind of disclaimer indicating that resort fees are waived for Platinum or above. Am I just going crazy? Did I make this up? I don't see it anywhere now...
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
December 10th, 2013 at 11:27:52 PM permalink

Can someone help me confirm that I'm not going crazy? A week or so ago, I could have sworn that on the TR reservations page, it had some kind of disclaimer indicating that resort fees are waived for Platinum or above. Am I just going crazy? Did I make this up? I don't see it anywhere now...

Pretty sure that's correct; fees are waived for Platinum and up. I'll see if I can find the link.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
December 10th, 2013 at 11:48:09 PM permalink
I fake-booked Harrah's LV for tonight to see how it added up and got it to the subtotal page, then hovered over the information icon next to the resort fee to get
THIS PICTURE (I took a screen shot and cropped it). Short of that, I couldn't find where they discussed it.

But this says pretty clearly that they will not charge the resort fee if you're Platinum (I'm Gold at the moment).
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
December 11th, 2013 at 5:31:27 AM permalink
If you're platinum or above the fees are waived. I'd think twice about Flamingo with the link construction and mob scene foot traffic to the brand new attraction. Time for an off strip experience. She'll love the Rio pool and you'll like the better gaming opportunities at the Palms and Gold Coast. If I'm wrong, take the strip shuttle.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
December 11th, 2013 at 7:27:15 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I fake-booked Harrah's LV for tonight to see how it added up and got it to the subtotal page, then hovered over the information icon next to the resort fee to get <snip>
THIS PICTURE (I took a screen shot and cropped it). Short of that, I couldn't find where they discussed it.

But this says pretty clearly that they will not charge the resort fee if you're Platinum (I'm Gold at the moment).

Thanks Babs, that is the same message I remembered seeing, and then couldn't find anymore. I just tried again and if I am logged out, then I see the same icon and message. But if I log in, it doesn't show up. Probably because I am currently Platinum. (There is still a resort fee disclaimer in the fine-print verbiage.) My platinum tier will have expired before this trip, but I will probably just end up getting the TR Visa card and then get my free bump back to Platinum.

Okay, next question for the CET comp experts. If you get the fee waived, do you still get the amenities? In the past I have survived without in-room internet, but I will need it this time. If I have to pay, so be it, just want to get my expectations straight.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
December 11th, 2013 at 9:45:43 AM permalink
AAA88,

As others have said, the RIO pool is probably the nicest of the choices. I think it comes down to how adventurous is your GF during the day?

If she is content to stay by the pool, or the spa, I would book RIO. She will be very happy. And the Show in the Sky is pretty cool.

However, if she is okay wandering on her own, the RIO is not convenient to the strip, for a newbie. If she wants to go to the shopping mall, or the Forum shops, or PH, etc., she will find that MUCH easier to do from Flamingo.

I speak from experience.
I have stayed at RIO with my wife 3x, first time around our 5th of 13 trips to Vegas. We both enjoy it a lot. We don't mind walking, and we have walked to the strip over the I-15 route a few times. We have done it at dusk, but any later than that we just pay the cab fare. I'm not really afraid to walk it, but why tempt fate?

I took my 25 yo daughter to RIO on her only trip out there, and that did not go as well. I was in a golf tournament, and she was on her own. As a first time visitor, she was mostly interested in the strip. We walked the back route from RIO, under the I-15, into the back of Caesars. While it was shorter, I felt it was also more sketchy. I would not have wanted her to walk it alone.

So, if your gf is willing to venture on her own, stay on the strip.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
December 11th, 2013 at 10:19:11 AM permalink
I echo RaleighCraps remarks. I have stayed in the Rio 3 times, Flamingo once, and the the Quad once (in addition to many stays other places).

The Quad is a hole. I would never take a first timer there, unless they didn't plan on sleeping. I am willing to stay there by myself because I can tolerate a shitty room.

The Flamingo is nice enough, and I liked there pool when I stayed there (it was for a bachelor's party). I thought it was a fun scene.

The Rio is by far the nicest, but the walk sucks, and wouldn't recommend it for a first timer. The pool was fun, but I found large variance in its level of fun.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
December 12th, 2013 at 9:56:09 AM permalink

Okay, next question for the CET comp experts. If you get the resort fee waived [due to >= Platinum status], do you still get the amenities? In the past I have survived without in-room internet, but I will need it this time. If I have to pay, so be it, just want to get my expectations straight.

Still looking for an answer to this question, if any kind forum members happen to know. If not, I'll resort to actually calling them (the horror!) and reporting back. And if THAT fails, then I will hopefully be able to definitively answer the question after we actually go on the trip :).
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
December 12th, 2013 at 9:59:56 AM permalink
No internet included if you get the resort fee waived. One of the big reasons why I rarely take rooms at CET nowadays.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
December 12th, 2013 at 10:18:00 AM permalink
Charging guests for an internet connection has to be a pretty lucrative deal for the hotel.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
December 12th, 2013 at 1:32:42 PM permalink
Quote: Alan

Charging guests for an internet connection has to be a pretty lucrative deal for the hotel.

I think the room card last month said 9.95/day for internet via ethernet cable; not sure about wifi charges. I paid the resort fee involuntarily, but also had my own wifi via tablet to which I tethered my laptop. I found the hotel wifi difficult and spotty (as they said it would be; some kind of construction was interfering with it.) If your smart phone has the capability, I'm guessing you'll be happier using that for a wifi base than whatever the hotel provides.

I think the reference they made in the disclaimer I posted was in reference to charging you a la carte for it at the Platinum level. I could be wrong.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
December 12th, 2013 at 1:53:11 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think the room card last month said 9.95/day for internet via ethernet cable; not sure about wifi charges. I paid the resort fee involuntarily, but also had my own wifi via tablet to which I tethered my laptop. I found the hotel wifi difficult and spotty (as they said it would be; some kind of construction was interfering with it.) If your smart phone has the capability, I'm guessing you'll be happier using that for a wifi base than whatever the hotel provides.

I think the reference they made in the disclaimer I posted was in reference to charging you a la carte for it at the Platinum level. I could be wrong.

Yeah, if you have a smart phone, it's better to just set up a wifi hotspot. And the fact they waive the fee for platinum and higher but will charge you if you want to use the service is such BS. It's is basically a way to screw over Gold members.

Quote: MidwestAP

I've stayed at all except Quad. If you are looking for a recommendation based on swimming pool, it's easily Rio, and then Flamingo. Harrah's pool is no more than a 50'x25' hole filled with water stuck between two buildings. Not impressive at all, in fact it's kind of depressing.

I don't know about the Quad, but given that the the rooms are still the same as they were when it was the IP (at least as of 3 months ago), and they sucked according to friends who stayed there because it was a 'deal', I don't have high hopes for the pool.

Never been to Rio's pool, but Flamingo is the highest choice of the remaining ones. It's pretty damn busy at times though, especially in the "Go pool". There also is a smallish water side in the kid pool area. Since my g/f and I are big kids, we went down it too a few times.

Sadly, I thought Quad's pool was nicer than Bally's. Neither are anything to talk about though.

At the moment, none of the rooms are remodeled at Quad, but they are supposed to start soon.
  • Jump to: