MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
June 30th, 2013 at 11:17:21 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Just simple logic. When you are "intolerant" it is because of something going against what you believe. If you are more prone to saying, "anything is fine with me" then you really believe in nothing.

I think you're using some poor phrasing. "Anything" covers a lot of ground and I doubt you're going to find many people that say "anything is fine with me," so I'm not sure why you'd bother with such an example.

For me, many things are fine. I don't care what consenting adults do outside of the public eye. I don't care if people don't want to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. I think owning guns is perfectly alright if you're not a felon convicted of a violent crime or a lunatic.

On the other hand, I don't want to partake of every single thing consenting adults can do behind closed doors. I always wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle. And I own a single gun at this time and have no longing for a weapon with a large capacity magazine.

What I believe in is freedom. Freedom for people to make their own decisions about their own lives.

I also think "tolerance" is an unfortunate word to use for these issues. It has a connotation that I don't think serves us very well.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
June 30th, 2013 at 11:19:02 PM permalink
Quote: YesThereReal

I heard their no such thing as athiest is that true? I dont no if shoudl believe it.

Yup, there really are atheists (well, maybe not in a foxhole, but I've never been there so can't say for sure), believe it.

Also a strong belief in a spell checker is recommended. :)
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
June 30th, 2013 at 11:21:34 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I hate to say it, but conservatives tend to broadly group everyone together and pronounce either "good" or "evil" on one or the other.

And that is my GENERALIZATION on liberals and conservatives. hah ha ha.

And like most generalizations it does nothing to foster understanding.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 175
June 30th, 2013 at 11:42:00 PM permalink
Quote: MonkeyMonkey

And like most generalizations it does nothing to foster understanding.

What? Conservatives often overgeneralizing to declare things one way or the other. Yes, it fosters much less understanding.
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
June 30th, 2013 at 11:47:24 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

What? Conservatives often overgeneralizing to declare things one way or the other. Yes, it fosters much less understanding.

Sorry, I don't come across enough conservatives to believe that is some kind of wide spread behavior, therefore your assertion isn't worthy of comment and can have no validity.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 175
June 30th, 2013 at 11:56:27 PM permalink

Sorry, I don't come across enough conservatives to believe that is some kind of wide spread behavior, therefore your assertion isn't worthy of comment and can have no validity.

isn't worthy of comment

Except it was apparently.
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
July 1st, 2013 at 1:27:46 AM permalink

Yup, there really are atheists (well, maybe not in a foxhole, but I've never been there so can't say for sure), believe it.

There are no atheists in foxholes because godfearing folk shoot them in the back for Jebus.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
July 1st, 2013 at 3:03:56 AM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

There are no atheists in foxholes because godfearing folk shoot them in the back for Jebus.

I'm guessing that was supposed to be funny?

It fails to meet that criteria for me for a couple reasons:
- As I recall Tillman was a pretty good guy that gave up a promising future to serve his country. And he ended up dead. That pretty well sucks and isn't funny.

- While not particularly religious myself, I think making fun of someone's spiritual beliefs (the Jebus remark) to be in extremely poor taste. Every time the usual suspects haul out the Flying Spaghetti Monster I think, Wow, what a bunch of *****. A religious belief is typically a deeply held tenet and making fun of it is (to me) in the same neighborhood as making fun of someone's mother. So, again, not funny.

But hey, YMMV.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 1st, 2013 at 10:35:26 AM permalink

A religious belief is typically a deeply held tenet and making fun of it is (to me) in the same neighborhood as making fun of someone's mother.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Believing in invisible incorporeal dragon is insanity; it doesn't become less crazy because the book that says so is 1,000 years old, all it becomes is legitimized insanity.

Religious people, their religions and their tenets should be mocked and discredited tirelessly, indiscriminately and mercilessly, in hope that it may save at least a few potential victims from acquiring one of these infectious mental diseases.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
July 1st, 2013 at 10:45:46 AM permalink
Quote: P90

Religious people, their religions and their tenets should be mocked and discredited tirelessly, indiscriminately and mercilessly, in hope that it may save at least a few potential victims from acquiring one of these infectious mental diseases.

Replace "religious" with "homophiles" and tell me how such a statement would play.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: