JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
October 25th, 2012 at 2:29:53 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I meant ground (sorry to dash your hopes). I don't have a coffee mill, so whole beans would be less than useless in that situation.

I've mentioned before I'm not a purist. If I were I'd ahve to turn myself in for having instant.

I understand. When I go back and read my comments, I asked myself when I became such a coffee snob. There was a time, that a cup of Folgers was just fine.

(last off topic post for me)
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
October 25th, 2012 at 3:37:54 PM permalink
Coffee and tea drinker here. At home, I use Folgers. Why? I drink a lot, and coffee is expensive. The big jar of Folgers ground (I forget how many ounces) is $10 at most groceries. Black Silk is the best variety, I think. I have trouble making that last a month, so I estimate I go through 1.66 jars a month. That's $16 a month, which is more than I pay for cable. What I REALLY can't understand is the people who can afford to get a $4.25 latte at Starbucks every morning.

The great thing about coffee is you can scale your obsession as much as you want. Typical progression:
Instant crystals --> drip coffee with pre-ground beans --> drip coffee with whole beans+grinder --> drip coffee with freshly roasted whole beans + grinder --> french press/espresso/pour-over ... whatever!

I tried the whole beans+grinder method for a while and while it was undeniably much better, it was too much of a pain to grind the beans in the morning, not to mention loud. Price-wise it was only slightly more expensive (used Eight O' Clock Bean brand).

If I am too lazy to make coffee, I'll have tea, which I like just as much. Favorite brand is P&G Tips, which is very easy to find in U.S. stores nowadays. It just doesn't get much better than that. Other English brands are quite good, except (surprisingly) Tetley, which blows.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 25th, 2012 at 6:20:48 PM permalink
Adagio does great lose leaf tea in the US... but I have four tea shops here, one of whom blends their own. Loose leaf tea with big leaves is a different beast to the finings in a tea bag. I love both.

TETLEY blows. Some of that will be due to the water, but some is because its the scrag ends of the low quality leaves. PG tips was my parents go to, but the superstores own brand has this wonderful honest flavour that gets better the longer its brewed. PG tips does not work well with water here for some reason, while the Yorkshire blends do.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 25th, 2012 at 8:25:24 PM permalink
Does anyone remember coffee bags? I think they were Folgers, but I'm not sure. Essentially they were like tea bags and worked the same way, except with ground coffee rather than tea. The idea was to have brewed coffee without the fuss of a coffee maker.

Unsurprisingly, they seem to have failed.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
November 5th, 2012 at 7:26:22 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Does anyone remember coffee bags? I think they were Folgers, but I'm not sure. Essentially they were like tea bags and worked the same way, except with ground coffee rather than tea. The idea was to have brewed coffee without the fuss of a coffee maker.

Unsurprisingly, they seem to have failed.

Hardly, I get them at my local Ralph's. Quite good actually.

• Jump to: