Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 24th, 2012 at 1:45:15 PM permalink
I've been a coffee addict for years. I like all the different kinds of drinks that coffee amkes possible. In particular those involving espresso.

I like to say that espresso is to coffee as gold is to metal: precious.

Lately the fad is Nestle's "Nespresso" machines. In short, I don't like them. What I don't like is that the coffee perforce must be purchased in two-cup capsules, which are the only way the machines work. This seems too expensive for me. Besides, I've tried several varieties and none are as good as the regular, mid-quality, quasi-generic espresso I get at the grocery store for use in my Krupps dual-use coffee maker. Never mind the higher quality grounds available here and there.

The Nespresso machine, it must be said, is very convenient. I make espresso seldom because it's rather a chore. But my machine cost me about $70 five years ago, and a pound bag of espresso grounds goes for $10 or so.

There are some beautifl, semi-pro, automated espresso machines. You put water in one side, whole roasted beans on the other, and the machine grinds the coffee and amkes either espresso or regular in minutes. best of all they're self-cleaning, removing the grounds when they're done (to a third bin). You clean them once a day by flushing them with water. Alas, they're expensive. the cheaper ones, without attachments for frothing milk, go for around $1,000 <sigh>

Any thoughts?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
jc2286
jc2286
  • Threads: 2
October 24th, 2012 at 1:53:21 PM permalink
I suppose coffee drinkers could form their own religion. Would that make Juan Valdez their messiah?
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2012 at 1:54:39 PM permalink
Quote: jc2286

I suppose coffee drinkers could form their own religion.

That would be ridiculous. Coffee is its own religion.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 24th, 2012 at 1:55:24 PM permalink
There are many that cost less than $1000. I picked up a Saeco Odea at Costco last year for about $350 (it was on sale):
http://www.costco.com/Saeco-Odea-Giro-Plus-Automatic-Espresso-Machine.product.11762878.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=saeco+odea&langId=-1&storeId=10301
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
October 24th, 2012 at 3:09:13 PM permalink
I love my Nespresso. I use it at my office and it saves me $$ as a sttarbucks is right across the street. The espresso pods come in sleeves of 10 for usually $6.00...you can only order them from Nespresso so I usually buy 8-10 sleeves at a time. They have great variety and all have a distinct "crem'e" (sp?). I don't make espresso drinks per say... I just fire up two pods add a splash of hot water and drink it black. The starbucks machine, the new one is very good as it has both coffee and froth pods..very bad ass if you like the traditional drinks. They wont have the variety of nespresso though.

For Regular Coffee I have the Technivorm Moccamaster it is simple and makes very good very hot coffee but you really need a good grinder like theirs that can make a fatter grind.

Coffee press is as close as you are going to get IMO if you don't buy a real espresso machine (and adjustable grinder) or a nespresso type device. Its all about creating the pressure as the water is forced through the grounds....don't buy cheap it wont be worth it unless you go old school- http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/bialetti-moka-express-9-cup-espresso-maker/?pkey=ccoffee-manual-espresso-machines
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." — E.E. Cummings
Scotty71
Scotty71
October 24th, 2012 at 3:10:33 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

There are many that cost less than $1000. I picked up a Saeco Odea at Costco last year for about $350 (it was on sale):
http://www.costco.com/Saeco-Odea-Giro-Plus-Automatic-Espresso-Machine.product.11762878.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=saeco+odea&langId=-1&storeId=10301

Costco almost always sells high quality stuff. I would trust ME on that if you are looking for that type of machine.
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." — E.E. Cummings
Scotty71
Scotty71
October 24th, 2012 at 3:10:33 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Costco almost always sells high quality stuff. I would trust ME on that if you are looking for that type of machine.
Scotty71
Scotty71
October 24th, 2012 at 3:15:00 PM permalink
Here is the starbucks machine: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/electrics/electrics-starbucks/?cm_type=lnav
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2012 at 3:22:30 PM permalink
Quote: Scotty71

I just fire up two pods add a splash of hot water and drink it black.

If you're going to do that, you may as well just nuke generic cola ;)

Quote:

The starbucks machine,

Stop right there. Starbucks roasts its beans too far. All their coffee has a faint burnt taste to it

Quote:

Coffee press is as close as you are going to get IMO if you don't buy a real espresso machine

I've a real espresso machine. I'd pit my Krupps against any pro machine at any coffee house. The only drawback is you can only make two cups at a time (two cups of couble espresso, that is).

BTW, $6 for 10 capsules comes out to about $0.60 per cup of double espresso. That's highway robbery, even if it's cheaper than "high" end places like Starbucks. I've checked what the grocery store sells espresso grounds for and it comes to about $6.50 per pound, and that should be good for at least 75 coups of double, or about $0.08 per cup. More likely less per cup, as I'm sure one pound should yield 100+ cups of double.
Scotty71
Scotty71
October 24th, 2012 at 3:36:57 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

If you're going to do that, you may as well just nuke generic cola ;)

Stop right there. Starbucks roasts its beans too far. All their coffee has a faint burnt taste to it

I've a real espresso machine. I'd pit my Krupps against any pro machine at any coffee house. The only drawback is you can only make two cups at a time (two cups of couble espresso, that is).

BTW, $6 for 10 capsules comes out to about $0.60 per cup of double espresso. That's highway robbery, even if it's cheaper than "high" end places like Starbucks. I've checked what the grocery store sells espresso grounds for and it comes to about $6.50 per pound, and that should be good for at least 75 coups of double, or about $0.08 per cup. More likely less per cup, as I'm sure one pound should yield 100+ cups of double.

1. I like caffeine and enjoy the taste the same way I like scotch.... preferences vary and only drink hot coffee or espresso black.
2 .then dont fawn over a nespresso..your cheap but quality machine has drawbacks.
3. Price is only a consideration in the absence of value... and I dont want a big setup in my office so nespresso is great for me, the cost is insignificant.
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
October 24th, 2012 at 3:36:59 PM permalink
Nareed,

This is the Espresso maker we have. It's made by Bialetti. I think around USD$30 for the 6 cup model as shown.

My daughter was visiting in Italy and brought us our first one. We are now on our 3rd. It makes espresso easily and quickly. Enough for one or 2 people. It comes in a 1,3,6,9 and 12 cup models. Fill the bottom with water, pack the basket with coffee, screw the top on, place on burner and wait about 10-15 minutes. It's really pretty good. Just my suggestion.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2012 at 3:52:42 PM permalink
Here's a link to a photo of my Krupps:

http://www.mylamppost.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/krups-xp1500-espresso-machine.jpg

I make regular coffee on it two or three times a day (I have it at the office and about 6-8 of us drink regularly). I make espresso maybe twice a month. I don't make capuccino often, but it can do that, too. The machine is 5 years old or so, and it's in perfect working order (I take very good care of it). As I said, I'd pit the quality of each cup against a pro mahcine at any coffee house.

So I get good quality coffee at very low prices. Why would I waste money on a Nespresso machine with expensive capsules of indifferent flavor?

Oh, this all comes from the fact that the boss got a Nespresso for the office. He uses it, and so does one other coworker. The rest of us don't like it. I gave it a shot and it dind't measure up. I use it on occasion only when I want decaf. I eman, if it's not going to be real coffee, then the flavor or lack thereof does not matter ;)
Scotty71
Scotty71
October 24th, 2012 at 4:02:00 PM permalink

So I get good quality coffee at very low prices. Why would I waste money on a Nespresso machine with expensive capsules of indifferent flavor?

You wouldn't, you asked for input that you didnt want.
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2012 at 4:27:20 PM permalink

You wouldn't, you asked for input that you didnt want.

I thought I'd get some opinions for it.

No offense, but the notion of mixing espresso with water to make "Americano" seems odd at best (I won't say what it seems like at worst). It's popular in some coffee places, especially ones that don't have regular coffee makers but rely solely on espresso. I've tried it, and it's not good at all. It tastes like watered down espresso.

The only thing worse I've come across, coffee-wise, is "iced espresso." That tastes like cold, watered-down espresso, yuck!
Scotty71
Scotty71
October 24th, 2012 at 6:51:11 PM permalink

I thought I'd get some opinions for it.

No offense, but the notion of mixing espresso with water to make "Americano" seems odd at best (I won't say what it seems like at worst). It's popular in some coffee places, especially ones that don't have regular coffee makers but rely solely on espresso. I've tried it, and it's not good at all. It taInnterestuiastes like watered down espresso.

The only thing worse I've come across, coffee-wise, is "iced espresso." That tastes like cold, watered-down espresso, yuck!

I wouldnt say its much water maybe 2 tablespoons..I've never ordered an americano so I dont know what the ratio would be. I agree about starbucks having a burnt roast. I drink strictly black coffee and I can happily add some water to mellow that out a tad.

I guess my point about nespresso is they have many many types so Im not sure what you tried. Ive had one that was heinous that was in a variety mix given to my wife. You have to try some to see what you like..william sonoma will let you sample in the store but they dont sell the capsules. Not worth the money if you are happy with what you have.
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
October 24th, 2012 at 7:00:29 PM permalink
Trying to figure out why I even read this thread. I drink coffee black, with sweetener and that's it. Maxwell House is fine with me, and I can't stand Starbucks. (It tastes way too earthy.) When I want to go hog wild, I'll add a shot of Amaretto to a tall mug of coffee.

I guess that makes me the equivalent of a Pabst Blue Ribbon drinker posting on a Micro brew thread about Rogue or Stone breweries.

Still, it is interesting to see how serious some people are about their morning cup . . .
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2012 at 8:03:23 PM permalink

I wouldnt say its much water maybe 2 tablespoons..I've never ordered an americano so I dont know what the ratio would be.

Usually one single shot of espresso in a cup of hot water.

I never add water to brewed coffee, except in emergencies (ie I need to leave before the coffee will cool down enough to drink it fast, and I really need the caffeine and there's no diet coke). I will add some to instant coffee if I need it to cool quickly, or I'll use ice. But only n instant, which is pretty mediocre anyway.

Quote:

I guess my point about nespresso is they have many many types so Im not sure what you tried.

The boss brought over a big box with a variety of types (BTW, they're hard to tell apart; embossed script ona shiny surface is hard to read). Some smell nice, but I haven't tasted one that's good enough to drink regularly.
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2012 at 8:08:13 PM permalink
Quote: Toes14

Still, it is interesting to see how serious some people are about their morning cup . . .

Oh, no. My morning cup is instant and water. I don't have time to do the full coffee ritual (I told you this is a religion). That is, set up the filter, measure the coffee, add the water, get the machine going, cooling the basket and carafe, washing everything well. I'd rather sleep an extra 20 minutes.

At the office I fire up the Krupps and make good coffee. Speaking of which, I should go down to Walmart and buy a half kilo of what the house blend at a coffee stand right outside. Their espresso is really good, and they do use it in the frozen cappuccino...
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
October 24th, 2012 at 9:53:05 PM permalink

Oh, no. My morning cup is instant and water. I don't have time to do the full coffee ritual (I told you this is a religion). That is, set up the filter, measure the coffee, add the water, get the machine going, cooling the basket and carafe, washing everything well. I'd rather sleep an extra 20 minutes.

At the office I fire up the Krupps and make good coffee. Speaking of which, I should go down to Walmart and buy a half kilo of what the house blend at a coffee stand right outside. Their espresso is really good, and they do use it in the frozen cappuccino...

If you are going to the trouble to brew good coffee, try some coffee from a local roaster. That grocery store coffee may have been roasted 6 months ago or longer. I know you enjoy it, but freshly roasted coffee makes a big difference. If any of y'all are in Austin try some from Andersen's Coffee on Kerby Lane. House blend is $9.95 a lb. It is the best coffee I have ever had at any price. If you go on Tuesday or Thursday afternoon you can get it roasted the same day.

Tip #2. I don't do espresso, but for brewed coffee, brew it a little stronger than you like and then dilute it with water heated on the stove while the coffee is brewing. It is less bitter than using less ground coffee to begin with. Experiment for the right dilution.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2012 at 7:08:16 AM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

If you are going to the trouble to brew good coffee, try some coffee from a local roaster.

I do, sometimes. But I won't waste time and money for office coffee. Besides, I do get reimbursed for grocery store coffee, but not for other types.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 25th, 2012 at 7:33:13 AM permalink
Juan Valdez was killed at the age of 83 by coffee lovers who caught him picking beans from the sunny side of the mountain.

Having to make two cups at a time is a small price to pay, most people take coffee as a social event. Coffee bars, chocolate cafes, etc. Its all Two cups of coffee and two pastries or two cups of coffee and four pieces of gourmet chocolate.

Picking up an automatic machine on the cheap is a good idea: look for bankruptcy auctions.

Best are the ones that use wet steam rather than hot water, particularly for brewing tea.

I've had "old sock coffee" and "boiled roach coffee". Old sock coffee is not so bad, but boiled roach coffee is revolting to drink. In the depression years hobos would ask a housewife for used coffee grounds. So quality beans is not really a necessary item.

Best cup? In a Florida crew house from a small white percolator ... prepared by a lovely young lady who was one of the several Naturists staying there.

Note: Coffee machines. If you go to old flea markets buying the original home coffee brewing machines is a good idea. You can get top dollar selling them to arsonists.
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2012 at 7:58:58 AM permalink
BTW my biggest regret in recent years involves a business trip to Xalapa, Veracruz. I was so annoyed at the trip, which I thought utterly unnecessary, as well as having to spend hours on a bus, that I completely forgot to pick up some freshly ground coffee in one of the top coffee producing states <real sigh>
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 25th, 2012 at 8:24:27 AM permalink
Quote: Toes14

Trying to figure out why I even read this thread. I drink coffee black, with sweetener and that's it. Maxwell House is fine with me, and I can't stand Starbucks. (It tastes way too earthy.) When I want to go hog wild, I'll add a shot of Amaretto to a tall mug of coffee.

I guess that makes me the equivalent of a Pabst Blue Ribbon drinker posting on a Micro brew thread about Rogue or Stone breweries.

PBR is a decent american Pilsner. And like average coffee, beloved of the Hipster. :)

I personally like an Americano over a drip brew or espresso. I don't understand the love for pod coffee. Best coffee, for me, is done in a French Press (or variant). Instant coffee is, to borrow a phrase, something almost, but not completely unlike coffee. But that's okay, I survived 7 years at univeristy only drinking Instant Blue Mountain, or low grade tea. The taste of cheap tea bags (99p a box) though is a wonderful, restorative thing, and about the only thing I still get imported from the UK on a regular basis (the low grade stuff here isn't the same).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Scotty71
Scotty71
October 25th, 2012 at 8:25:32 AM permalink

BTW my biggest regret in recent years involves a business trip to Xalapa, Veracruz. I was so annoyed at the trip, which I thought utterly unnecessary, as well as having to spend hours on a bus, that I completely forgot to pick up some freshly ground coffee in one of the top coffee producing states <real sigh>

i can imagine in mexico you would have access to great coffee. Jamaican Blue Mountain is the best I've had but not worth the cost.
Scotty71
Scotty71
October 25th, 2012 at 8:26:17 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Note: Coffee machines. If you go to old flea markets buying the original home coffee brewing machines is a good idea. You can get top dollar selling them to arsonists.

scary
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2012 at 8:32:17 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Instant coffee is, to borrow a phrase, something almost, but not completely unlike coffee.

Instant is the next best thing to coffee.

Quote:

The taste of cheap tea bags (99p a box) though is a wonderful, restorative thing, and about the only thing I still get imported from the UK on a regular basis (the low grade stuff here isn't the same).

I like Twinnings tea from time to time. On cold winter evenings, I'll brew smoked tea, I forget the name, or Earl Gray (which i did drink long before ST TNG came on the air). All from bags, alas. I can't find loose leaves here.
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2012 at 8:35:20 AM permalink

i can imagine in mexico you would have access to great coffee.

Mexican coffee, from Veracruz, Chiapas or Oaxaca, is very, very good. For great coffee, nothing in my experience beats Hawaiian.

BTW when I go to Toluca I sometimes drive past a Nestle plant in the city. Often it exudes a deep, rich, delicious coffee aroma, It's hard to believe that's what becomes instant.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 25th, 2012 at 8:51:58 AM permalink

I like Twinnings tea from time to time. On cold winter evenings, I'll brew smoked tea, I forget the name, or Earl Gray (which i did drink long before ST TNG came on the air). All from bags, alas. I can't find loose leaves here.

Upton Tea ships internationally. If you're a tea drinker and you've never visited their site before, be prepared to not get anything done for the rest of the day. :)
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
JimRockford
JimRockford
October 25th, 2012 at 1:54:51 PM permalink

BTW my biggest regret in recent years involves a business trip to Xalapa, Veracruz. I was so annoyed at the trip, which I thought utterly unnecessary, as well as having to spend hours on a bus, that I completely forgot to pick up some [b/]freshly ground[b/]coffee in one of the top coffee producing states <real sigh>

I hope your meant freshly roasted. The only time coffee should be ground is immediately before brewing.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2012 at 2:11:21 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

I hope your meant freshly roasted. The only time coffee should be ground is immediately before brewing.

I meant ground (sorry to dash your hopes). I don't have a coffee mill, so whole beans would be less than useless in that situation.

I've mentioned before I'm not a purist. If I were I'd ahve to turn myself in for having instant.
JimRockford
JimRockford
October 25th, 2012 at 2:29:53 PM permalink

I meant ground (sorry to dash your hopes). I don't have a coffee mill, so whole beans would be less than useless in that situation.

I've mentioned before I'm not a purist. If I were I'd ahve to turn myself in for having instant.

I understand. When I go back and read my comments, I asked myself when I became such a coffee snob. There was a time, that a cup of Folgers was just fine.

(last off topic post for me)
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
October 25th, 2012 at 3:37:54 PM permalink
Coffee and tea drinker here. At home, I use Folgers. Why? I drink a lot, and coffee is expensive. The big jar of Folgers ground (I forget how many ounces) is $10 at most groceries. Black Silk is the best variety, I think. I have trouble making that last a month, so I estimate I go through 1.66 jars a month. That's $16 a month, which is more than I pay for cable. What I REALLY can't understand is the people who can afford to get a $4.25 latte at Starbucks every morning.

The great thing about coffee is you can scale your obsession as much as you want. Typical progression:
Instant crystals --> drip coffee with pre-ground beans --> drip coffee with whole beans+grinder --> drip coffee with freshly roasted whole beans + grinder --> french press/espresso/pour-over ... whatever!

I tried the whole beans+grinder method for a while and while it was undeniably much better, it was too much of a pain to grind the beans in the morning, not to mention loud. Price-wise it was only slightly more expensive (used Eight O' Clock Bean brand).

If I am too lazy to make coffee, I'll have tea, which I like just as much. Favorite brand is P&G Tips, which is very easy to find in U.S. stores nowadays. It just doesn't get much better than that. Other English brands are quite good, except (surprisingly) Tetley, which blows.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 25th, 2012 at 6:20:48 PM permalink
Adagio does great lose leaf tea in the US... but I have four tea shops here, one of whom blends their own. Loose leaf tea with big leaves is a different beast to the finings in a tea bag. I love both.

TETLEY blows. Some of that will be due to the water, but some is because its the scrag ends of the low quality leaves. PG tips was my parents go to, but the superstores own brand has this wonderful honest flavour that gets better the longer its brewed. PG tips does not work well with water here for some reason, while the Yorkshire blends do.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2012 at 8:25:24 PM permalink
Does anyone remember coffee bags? I think they were Folgers, but I'm not sure. Essentially they were like tea bags and worked the same way, except with ground coffee rather than tea. The idea was to have brewed coffee without the fuss of a coffee maker.

Unsurprisingly, they seem to have failed.
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
November 5th, 2012 at 7:26:22 PM permalink

Does anyone remember coffee bags? I think they were Folgers, but I'm not sure. Essentially they were like tea bags and worked the same way, except with ground coffee rather than tea. The idea was to have brewed coffee without the fuss of a coffee maker.

Unsurprisingly, they seem to have failed.

Hardly, I get them at my local Ralph's. Quite good actually.
  • Jump to: