pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 13th, 2012 at 6:26:21 PM permalink
Return of the Mammoth is in the news again.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 15th, 2012 at 3:36:15 PM permalink

Another potential clone subject which we have a better chance of getting DNA from.

Possibly a new species of human has been found in China near Vietnam. The Red Deer people were said to live 14.5K-11.5K years ago, so possibly overlapping the very beginnings of agriculture. They are not definitively declared a new species.

Guangxi Province contains many ethnic people who we don't normally associate with China.

In 1862, workmen clearing a field in the state of Veracruz, Mexico uncovered a stone sculpture in the shape of an expressionless face with piercing eyes, a flat broad nose, and thick, down-turned lips. The Olmec culture thrived in the fertile jungles of lowland Mexico 1200 B.C.–400 B.C. and is now considered the mother culture of Mexico.

The features of the Olmec heads clearly look African, and in the 19th century there was a lot of speculation about an ancient civilization in Africa capable of sailing across the oceans. Today, many scholars assume that these people were a dark skinned population in Asia that crossed the land bridge from Russia to Alaska with the rest of the nomads. The diversity of people in Guangxi is sited as an example of the variety of people that live in Asia, and how it is possible that there once existed a tribe with features that we associate with some present day Africans.

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 113
March 15th, 2012 at 5:14:53 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Nareed, I'm asking you to put aside for now the fact that we can't clone mammals, and assume that we can.

I watch the PBR (bull riding) anf they use cloned bulls all the time. I don't think there is anything at all wrong with them.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 15th, 2012 at 6:16:23 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I watch the PBR (bull riding) anf they use cloned bulls all the time. I don't think there is anything at all wrong with them.

Are they "cloned" or "from the same egg/sperm combo" (in vitro fertized and implanted in a carrier cow)?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
March 15th, 2012 at 8:09:13 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Wow, they sure had good barbers 10K years
ago. Nice trim on the beard. Cutting off the
stash gives that early Amish look so popular
at the time.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
March 15th, 2012 at 9:01:00 PM permalink
No, we shouldn't they dissapeared for a reason. They should clone some damn bees, we need more of them...WTF are we going to do with these guys?
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." — E.E. Cummings
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 15th, 2012 at 10:53:07 PM permalink
Quote: Scotty71

No, we shouldn't they dissapeared for a reason. They should clone some damn bees, we need more of them...WTF are we going to do with these guys?

When Red Deer people were alive there was fewer than 1 million of our species. If they really are a different species, they may have been competition with us. If they came back, would they be able to talk? Would they bury their dead? Would they have their own Torah and numerology, or would they watch television with Red Deer Kardashian?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 16th, 2012 at 8:14:14 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

When Red Deer people were alive there was fewer than 1 million of our species. If they really are a different species, they may have been competition with us. If they came back, would they be able to talk? Would they bury their dead? Would they have their own Torah and numerology, or would they watch television with Red Deer Kardashian?

I'm suddenly and strongly reminded of Phil Hartman's "Unforzen Caveman Lawyer" sketches on SNL in the 90s :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 313
March 16th, 2012 at 1:55:10 PM permalink
I'm guessing if we ever get DNA from the red deer people, that if they are not deemed to be Homo Sapiens then there will be that speculation that it is Homo Erectus as with the Indonesian finds. The Erectus being the most long-lived member, most successful for the longest you might say, of the Genus Homo, so maybe it is not so surprising except that when I took courses Erectus was thought to have died out something like 100,000 years ago IIRC. Certainly not in the neighborhood of 10 to 20 thousand years as is thought by some now with the speculation that the 'Hobbits' are Erectus

PS: this is more fodder for the notion that there was a lot of variation living simultaneously in our Genus up until this 10-20k
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 313
March 16th, 2012 at 2:02:54 PM permalink
btw surely the speculation about Olmec origins can [and has?] been answered by DNA analysis of the people living there now... that they left no descendants is unlikely.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder

• Jump to: