vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
January 12th, 2012 at 6:20:01 PM permalink
its probably just me, but I cant stand either one of these guys. I dont dislike them personally, becasue I dont know them personally. But to hear these guys try to talk about economics is just painful. I'm not denying the fact both of them know how to make money. But does that make them an expert on tax policy or macroeconomics? Al Capone knew how to make money also, does that mean Coolidge should have taken economic advise from him? Basically they are high end pawn brokers and nothing more(well maybe more but I just can't stand them so feel the need to insult) they know how to find distressed assets and buy them for pennies on the dollar. Its not like they are making million of inventions and ingenuity like Thomas Edison...

Really in my PERSONAL opinion, I think both of their stances to demand side macroeconomics is an ego thing. They think of themselves as geniuses who can make it in the "rough and tumble world" and the rest of us dumb peons cant. And its somehow their "job" to take car of us. I really think that in their mind they think "well I'm gonna be ok becasue I'm a genius who will also find a way to make millions, but the rest of these peasants need my help just to live". I dont know, that's just my 2 cents. I just saw Buffett on the cover of Time and heard about his opinions in the article about "how to make America great again" and just wanted to vomit......
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
January 12th, 2012 at 6:26:32 PM permalink
Quote: vert1276

its probably just me, but I cant stand either one of these guys. I dont dislike them personally, becasue I dont know them personally. But to hear these guys try to talk about economics is just painful. I not denying the fact both of them no how to make money. But does that make them an expert on tax policy or macroeconomics? Al Capone knew how to make money also, does that mean Coolidge should have taken economic advise from him? Basically they are high end pawn brokers and nothing more(well maybe more but I just can't stand them so feel the need to insult) they know how to find distressed assets and buy them for pennies on the dollar. Its not like they are making million of inventions and ingenuity like Thomas Edison...

Really in my PERSONAL opinion, I think both of their stances to demand side macroeconomics is an ego thing. They think of themselves as geniuses who can make it in the "rough and tumble world" and the rest of us dumb peons cant. And its somehow their "job" to take car of us. I really think that in their mind they think "well I'm gonna be ok becasue I'm a genius who will also find a way to make millions, but the rest of these peasants need my help just to live". I dont know, that's just my 2 cents. I just saw Buffett on the cover of Time and heard about his opinions in the article about "how to make America great again" and just wanted to vomit......

Any fool can make money with inside info. Buffet was probably born with enough money to buy lots of info and make lots of money. Nearly all rich assholes can make money, just because they're assholes and don't mind trampling on the little guy. Assuming they are not downright stupid and incapable of paying bribes, that is. No rocket science going on here. Just knowing how to deal better than the other guy.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
January 12th, 2012 at 6:30:26 PM permalink
I am torn because I always believe people can make it in this country if they try. If they fail. pick yourself up again and try again, thats the American way. And these guys have found a legas way to become very rich, which I respect. But these 2 dont seem to believe in that and think they are special and like many liberals, think YOU cannot make it without them.
dm
dm
January 12th, 2012 at 6:37:42 PM permalink
Who says their ways are legal? Bet all the money you got on you they ain't. Which neither side would likely win, but only I would have a chance to win.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 12th, 2012 at 6:42:53 PM permalink
I have read a number of George Soros' books. His childhood/upbringing is pretty interesting because it definitely does not appear to be that of a future billionaire. I do think it's funny that he kind of pokes fun of himself. He acknowledges that he might be a failed philosopher/economist (since that's what the critics say). His status does create a market for his lectures and literature nontheless.

This makes me think of how people vote actors or athletes into office. It doesn't make sense but that's the sheople we are.
100% risk of ruin
dm
dm
January 12th, 2012 at 7:31:51 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

I have read a number of George Soros' books. His childhood/upbringing is pretty interesting because it definitely does not appear to be that of a future billionaire. I do think it's funny that he kind of pokes fun of himself. He acknowledges that he might be a failed philosopher/economist (since that's what the critics say). His status does create a market for his lectures and literature nontheless.

This makes me think of how people vote actors or athletes into office. It doesn't make sense but that's the sheople we are.

Have to say I can only be cynical. Just what does he bring to the table to capture all those billions? Just smart? Gets up early and reads the Wall Street Journal? My observation is that most successful people have, mostly, an ability to get other people to work for them dirt cheap while the owner gets the windfall of the employee's efforts. Or, create a monopoly like Microsoft, and pay the government billions to keep it, and charge ALL the market can bear for your product, and destroy or buy out all competition.................................and guess what? Some day you will be the envy of all. The great philanthropist with more ill-gotten billions than you can ever spend or give away. He does give away a tiny percentage of his net worth occasionally, so that keeps the ego
at moon-size, maybe still sun-size. Fuck Gates - what an asshole!
whatme
whatme
  • Threads: 8
January 12th, 2012 at 9:10:38 PM permalink
Buffet fundamental business is insurence when you are given full payment up front (billions) you to can invest and not care about interest and debt payments.
For those who dont know all insurence including auto is paid in full upfront, If youre paying over time some lender financed the deal and you are paying interest to them whether you see it or not.

I have no respect for people who think thier special when they follow the fundamental business laws that have been around for centuries
1) Dont rely on other peoples reaserch (do your own)
2) Dont invest unless you fully understand the bis.
3) Dont borrow $ (If you do its gambling)
4) Dont spend more than you take in
5) Dont listen to people b/c they sound good (If it sounds to good to be true it is)
6) Dont throw away the future (prepare for the worst)
7) Dont forget your the one with the $ therfore you are the one with the power

Im sure there are others, You get my point
  • Jump to: