Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
December 17th, 2011 at 1:40:24 PM permalink
Quote: WizardofEngland

2) how can a dealer deal a game for years and never look it up, learn the history, the maths etc. I couldnt imagine any job I would ever take where i wouldnt want to know why I am doing what I am doing.

Logical people who care about their job want to know everything they can. However, most people are sheep, walking through their job with no reason to be inquisitive. I work for a nice retail establishment, and yet most people who work for the company can't tell you any history or much information beyond what is trained. I of course can tell you useless information... there's a learning curve.

Quote: WizardofEngland

3) I understand that dealers have a lot going on, and they shouldnt be concerned with wins or loses, just that they should deal a good game. But do they not notice which players lose less?

This, to me, seems irrelevant. I play near perfect basic strategy when I play Double Deck BJ, but I get my A$$ handed to me every time I play. I could play like an idiot and win.

To that end, when a game's rules change or odds change for the better of the house, I have had a SMALL number of dealers comment on how players don't play as long as they used to. Most of them chalk it up to bad luck since they changed the rules, rather than an increase in house edge.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 17th, 2011 at 5:24:40 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

He sort-of led the class to say, "six bets of 36" while I was blurting out "20%." Soon as I did he gave a good-knowing look at me. If not for this site, however, I would have not known the %s for the most part.

That's the wrong answer. 30 to 1 has a house edge of 13.89% (or 16.66% if it pays 30 -for- 1).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

• Jump to: