Face
  • Threads: 49
November 2nd, 2011 at 10:04:29 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

The .600 Nitro Express looks like fun.

nitroexpress

Off hand guns, if you liked the .600, then you should enjoy the .577 T-Rex

T-Rex

I've never backed down from trying a new gun...... This one I'd pass on. I think anytime you can manage the recoil, the Earth shifts on it's axis as a result.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
November 3rd, 2011 at 11:06:57 AM permalink
Quote: Face

LOL! I couldn't imagine. That'd be up to shotgun slug territory. Talk about breaking wrists, it'd make the .44 feel like an airsoft pellet gun.

The Piefer Zeliska is the largest cartridge hand gun I know of. It's chambered in .600 caliber, or in other words, just a tad shy of anti-aircraft potential. I haven't ever seen one, but at $17,000 and $40 per round, I can see why.

The S&W Taurus is the baddest non-rare hand gun I know of. It's chambered in .500 and nowhere near multi-thousands of dollars, which makes me want it. But .500 isn't something offered at the local Walmart, nor would I want to see how much a box of 50 would go for, so it's still the trusty Glock .40 for me. ' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus_500/MVC-768F.jpg]

The .44mag isn't badass so much because of the size of the bullet, but all that's behind it. If you stare top-down at the two rounds, .40 and a .44, you could probably see one being just a tick wider than the other. Stand em side-by-side though, and the .44 almost twice as tall. All that extra length is extra boom powder. Gotta love mags =)

I wanted a Colt .45 1911 so bad, but I got my license right before my trip to Vegas. In NY, you have 30 days from receiving your license to get a gun otherwise it gets voided, so I HAD to get one. I had to choose to either blow my whole wad on the 1911, or get a Glock and have some gambling money. Hand guns > hand pays.

I was partly kidding and partly not. When shooting one it feels like you surely must be throwing out QUARTERS. I used the word beast, should have used mule.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 3rd, 2011 at 11:56:20 AM permalink
The "new" owners of the company that produces the Desert Eagle brand of .50 cal semi-autos is rolling out a 10-in barreled model next year:

.50 semi-auto rounds seem almost managable. It's about $2 everytime you squeeze of the trigger.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
dm
dm
November 3rd, 2011 at 3:13:15 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

The "new" owners of the company that produces the Desert Eagle brand of .50 cal semi-autos is rolling out a 10-in barreled model next year:

.50 semi-auto rounds seem almost managable. It's about $2 everytime you squeeze of the trigger.

I can see a need for that in bear country.
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
November 4th, 2011 at 4:33:38 AM permalink
this is the only gun you will ever need for Bear Country......I have never owned one, but a couple of my friends do. I have fired maybe 10 rounds out of one. It s a wrist snapper for sure LOL......If I was a hiker in "bear country" this is the firearm that would be in my holster! the most powerful hand gun made(well, mass produced, and available, There is some crazy "one off" stuff out there like we have seen in this thread)

Just to give you some prospective on how large a S&W 500 magnum round is......This is a 440 grain bullet.....The average 9mm rounds I reload all the time use a 114 grain bullet....

let's just say...its less than comfortable to fire something that large....especially out of a "snub nose" revolver....If you can consider a 4" barrel a "snub nose" but when its on that big of a frame it just looks like one! LOL
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 328
November 4th, 2011 at 6:41:56 AM permalink
Hikers and pistols and bears, oh my!

Just wondering: if you are hiking in Alaska and kill a bear that is attacking you in self defense, and you have no bear hunting tag/ license: would you be cited / charged with a crime?
"What, me worry?"
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
November 4th, 2011 at 6:59:31 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Hikers and pistols and bears, oh my!

Just wondering: if you are hiking in Alaska and kill a bear that is attacking you in self defense, and you have no bear hunting tag/ license: would you be cited / charged with a crime?

NO..killing an animal in self deference is never a crime......of course if you do it every week...Fish and game might catch on ;-)
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 4th, 2011 at 1:57:48 PM permalink
Love both that .50 and .500, but not in those barrel sizes. A 10" barrel's too unweildy, and that snub nose is just ridiculous for such a big gun. That .500 (plus a few inches of barrel) is on my "to get" list. I seen a pistol that had a 16" barrel, not really sure what the point of that is...

I carry a .40 for bear protection. Granted, in NY I only have to worry about blacks so a .40 is sufficient. If I ever make it to Alaska I'll definately be at least carrying the Ruger .44. But hopefully by then, if I can afford an Alaska trip, I will have already gotten the Taurus .500.

You can kill anything in defense, including protected species like wolves (I believe they were put back on the list after a very short open season). But bet your ass the DEC will investigate it, including several interrogations of you and any of your party. A good friend of mine plunked a bear off season because... well, because he's an idiot. The DEC was all over him. He claimed "self defense" and created a story, which they blew apart. It's no different than the police investigating a shooting, they'll look through every detail including your story, the animals disposition dependant on season, etc and so on. He lost his gun, priviledge to hunt for 3 years, and several thousand dollars in fines.

I had an encounter with a mama and cubs where I could have killed her and been fine. Fortunately for her, I had enough wit to beat feet and get out of Dodge, although my dim witted friend was almost not so lucky. As long as the situation warrants it, and as long as you're legal as far carrying a pistol is concerned, you'll have no issues regardless of hunting license, protected list, etc.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
dm
dm
November 4th, 2011 at 1:59:50 PM permalink
My must-have gun was stolen when my car was broken into. It was a just-legal 12 gauge, 3 inch I believe, Winchester pump, 7 or 8
capacity, 18 inch barrel, I believe, with a pistol grip. Man, did it feel good to have that thing at hands reach from drivers seat. I was told that in Texas there are virtually no laws regarding shotguns. I asked a police officer if I could march right into Walmart with a shotgun in my hand and he said perfectly legal. At any rate, why bother with the handgun restrictions if you can have 7 double naught buckshot at the ready. I kept it at my office (sole proprietor, sole occupant) and took traveling.
dm
dm
November 4th, 2011 at 2:03:47 PM permalink
Quote: vert1276

this is the only gun you will ever need for Bear Country......I have never owned one, but a couple of my friends do. I have fired maybe 10 rounds out of one. It s a wrist snapper for sure LOL......If I was a hiker in "bear country" this is the firearm that would be in my holster! the most powerful hand gun made(well, mass produced, and available, There is some crazy "one off" stuff out there like we have seen in this thread)

Just to give you some prospective on how large a S&W 500 magnum round is......This is a 440 grain bullet.....The average 9mm rounds I reload all the time use a 114 grain bullet....

let's just say...its less than comfortable to fire something that large....especially out of a "snub nose" revolver....If you can consider a 4" barrel a "snub nose" but when its on that big of a frame it just looks like one! LOL

Has to be AA but can't verify that from the picture.

• Jump to: