• Threads: 112
September 20th, 2011 at 9:03:54 PM permalink
Even worse Bob I have 3 VHS tape rewinders LOL
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 48
September 20th, 2011 at 11:00:10 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

. Horse race tracks are...a new shopping center.

Are you talking about Tanforan out in San Bruno, CA?
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
September 20th, 2011 at 11:16:31 PM permalink
I still have a box of Beta tapes from '84 and a beta player I keep dragging around every time I move. Someday, it'll be worth about $100 to someone with home movies like mine but has no player. Did I say $100? I meant $130. In about 2021. By then gas'll be $9. And that guy'll have to come to me. Coz I'll have the player. Beeeyotch.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
September 21st, 2011 at 12:04:24 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

I still have a box of Beta tapes from '84 .

I bought my first VHS player in '83, that boat
anchor RCA that cost $1200. It all manual, did
almost nothing, but it was magical. I set it to
record and when I got home from work, I
could watch shows I missed.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 48
September 21st, 2011 at 12:37:23 AM permalink
Sweet take it to the antiques road show
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 21st, 2011 at 6:57:27 AM permalink
In 1983 I had to help my neighbor set his VCR for each tv station. he also paid $1200. Me, I could not afford one. Not after paying $800 for a microwave oven. Which I returned as it took longer to cook a meal in that damn thing. LOL
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 21st, 2011 at 6:58:46 AM permalink
I'm not about to throw out my modest collection of TV series box sets on DVD just because they're now available in another format. Nor am I about to pay again for them. I expect I'll buy a Blue Ray home theater next year, but it has to be backwards compatible with my existing DVDs. Depending on the quality of online content from Netflix Mexico and any others that may ape it, I may find a way to hook up the PC to the TV to watch some content.

BTW for the moment Blockbuster is alive and well down here. There's oe not a mile from my huose, though I haven't had time to even rent a movie in the past two years. More interesting, Blockbuster actually killed an existing video rental business called Videocentro, which in turn had killed the small video rental places. "Think of it as evolution in action," Larry Niven in one of his lesser known novels.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 95
September 22nd, 2011 at 1:11:06 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Tell me about it. 10 years ago I made a living selling VHS on Ebay. 5 years ago I was on Amazon, Cd's Dvd's and books. Still on Amazon , forget cd's, forget dvd's, and book are not far behind. The times, they are a changing. Horse race tracks are either racinos,
ghost towns, or a new shopping center. Atlantic City is fading fast. and Las Vegas ????

As long as DVDs (well, Blu-Ray, and whatever will replace it - probably read-only SDHCs once they're cheap enough) provide things you normally can't get with the online/On Demand version (e.g. deleted scenes; commentaries), there will be a market for them.

Are there that many horse racing tracks that are doing that badly? California does seem to have its share of problems (Bay Meadows torn down; Vallejo no longer holds racing, and I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason the track is still there is so they can have betting on off-track races (about as close to a racino as you're going to get in the state)), but I think that's mainly because there's no "outside interest" in California racing ever since the mandated switch to Polytrack.

As for Vegas/AC, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the reason one is fading faster than the other is, Vegas has sports betting while AC doesn't.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 178
September 22nd, 2011 at 1:38:01 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Are there that many horse racing tracks that are doing that badly?

Horse racing satisfied two emotional needs of the people: A tie to the American Frontier / Wild West, and a method to scratch the gambling itch.

The Frontier tie faded along with the Western genre of movies and TV, and the itch can be scratched more easily elsewhere.

Quote: ThatDonGuy

As for Vegas/AC, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the reason one is fading faster than the other is, Vegas has sports betting while AC doesn't.

Nope. Sports betting is only a very small segment of the Vegas gambling business

The only things AC had that Vegas didn't was an ocean, and being closer to people East of the Mississippi. If the travel / hotel costs were the same, most people preferred Vegas. Nowadays, most people just go to the joint nearby.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗

• Jump to: