Poll

22 votes (66.66%)
11 votes (33.33%)

33 members have voted

RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 1st, 2011 at 5:21:15 AM permalink
While the media tries its level best to spin this has a "disagreement" equally the fault of both sides, I hope that most people understand two simple things about scheduling the Presidential speech to the Congress:

1. The President (and his team) knew that the Republican debate was scheduled.
2. The President (and his team) made a decision to request the forum on the same date as the Republican debate.

Is the debate more important than the economy? Of course the economy is more important but it is also important for the people to see the candidates to replace President Obama as they compete for the Republican nomination so they can make an informed decision in the election come November 2012. This is one of those things were both things are important but the President clearly decided to try and upstage the debate.

I can't see how people don't "get" that President Obama is at least part of the problem when it comes to partisan bickering. I've seen enough to blame both sides.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
September 1st, 2011 at 5:36:19 AM permalink
Give the man a break. He was just trying to avoid a conflict with NFL season opening. Clearly that is more important than some debate ...
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
September 1st, 2011 at 6:14:13 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

Give the man a break. He was just trying to avoid a conflict with NFL season opening. Clearly that is more important than some debate ...

That's kind of the weird thing. The guy has been on vacation the last however-long. Nobody begrudges the guy a vacation, but he could have picked any of a gazillion days to ask for the joint session. And he picks the one single day out of that entire gazillion where his political opponents are getting together.

And, he could have just done it on network TV, which is probably the right forum for this speech anyway, I think he's making a(nother) mistake by doing it at joint session. But it appears Boehner is going to let him make it.

I think Sep 7 is Congress's first day back from the August break, meaning, there's a gazillion things that they have to do to get everything started. It would be like hosting a fancy dinner party on the day that your moving boxes arrive.

I don't know Obama, but I know about 12-15 people that know him from Harvard (mostly), including Valerie Jarrett. Those people are divided in their support of him, like the nation as a whole, but one thing that they all say is that he has always kind of been an asshole when it comes to common courtesy and just being polite and amiable. They say that the attraction to him comes in the form of a certain je-ne-sais-qoui charisma he carries, and his ability to communicate well what he believes.

Taking those people at their word about him, then it cannot be denied that he is kind of an arrogant jerkface, but there's some of that in everyone that rises as high as he has. The thing that he lacks is a sense of at least setting it aside as he conducts business. He just doesn't seem to have that ability, and things like the joint session request are examples of that.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
September 1st, 2011 at 6:39:35 AM permalink
Would it make any difference to you if you discovered that President Obama consulted with Leader Boehner on the proposed date before it was announced? I thought not.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 1st, 2011 at 7:52:28 AM permalink
Maybe the president should follow his own advice from two years or so ago and stop talking? :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
heather
heather
  • Threads: 8
September 1st, 2011 at 9:00:12 AM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

he could have picked any of a gazillion days to ask for the joint session. And he picks the one single day out of that entire gazillion where his political opponents are getting together.

I don't know. I saw a photo in a magazine years ago of a page from the President's daily agenda. Every freaking minute was booked. The page in the photo spanned less than half an hour, but probably had half a dozen items scheduled. I'm not really convinced that his calendar was anything resembling an open book. I'm not saying this wasn't deliberately done to conflict, just that I don't believe that he really had anywhere near a gazillion open timeslots available to choose from.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 1st, 2011 at 9:10:44 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Would it make any difference to you if you discovered that President Obama consulted with Leader Boehner on the proposed date before it was announced? I thought not.

That's due to the separation of powers and the repsect each branch of government must show the other. Meaning the President cannot simply order Congress to hold a joint session for his benefit. He must instead ask they hold one and invite him to address them.

If anything the Speaker of the House should have pointed out the scheduling conflict, which could easily have been resolved by having the President's address eariler. It's a matter of courtesy. The debate had been shceudled before the President requested a date for a joint session.

Anyway, I'll take the NFL opening game over any President's address, unless there's a clear and present emergency like September 11th or December 7th. I wouldn't have watched such an early pre-primary debate anyway.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
September 1st, 2011 at 9:58:14 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

It would. He didn't. He made the public announcement - and had his press secretary defending it - before coordinating with Boehner.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
September 1st, 2011 at 10:03:42 AM permalink
Quote: heather

I don't know. I saw a photo in a magazine years ago of a page from the President's daily agenda. Every freaking minute was booked. The page in the photo spanned less than half an hour, but probably had half a dozen items scheduled. I'm not really convinced that his calendar was anything resembling an open book. I'm not saying this wasn't deliberately done to conflict, just that I don't believe that he really had anywhere near a gazillion open timeslots available to choose from.

No one doubts the president is busy. But we're talking about a JOINT SESSION here, something usually reserved for things like state of the union and after acts of war. Obama obviously assigns that level of importance to it (which I think is a mistake, but oh well). If it's that much on his radar, he's probably not looking to "squeeze it in."
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
September 1st, 2011 at 10:03:57 AM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

It would. He didn't.

Boehner's office not only confirmed that President Obama did consult with Boehner before making an announcement but that Boehner raised no objections. But i'm sure that it's all Obama's fault for some other reason somehow, right?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez

• Jump to: