odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 326
May 30th, 2011 at 2:58:44 AM permalink

I theorized myself that even on the East Coast here, it wasnt a bad time to be using Iodized salt. Couldn't hurt.

Also, Germany is in the news declaring they are completely abandoning Nuclear.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
May 30th, 2011 at 4:08:11 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I theorized myself that even on the East Coast here, it wasnt a bad time to be using Iodized salt. Couldn't hurt.

Iodized salt should always be used unless a person has an allergy. You need a little iodine and they calabrate iodized salt to give it to you. These pills, however, are probably going overboard. As is abandoning nuclear. But Europeans seem to have the complex where they think "electricity comes from the wall socket." First they want to abandon anything you burn on fears of non-existant global warming. Now they want to abandon nulear. What on earth are they going to use to generate power?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 30th, 2011 at 7:09:22 AM permalink

Take a clsoer look at the salt next time you buy some. I'd be surprised if you find UN-iodized salt. You need iodine to make the thyroid work. Period. That's why some thyroid tumors are treated with radioactive iodine: the thryroid absorbs most of it and the radiation kills the tumor (and usually the gland, but there are synthetic thyroid hormones to replace it).

Quote:

It's amazing a country would abandon a source of energy after an accident so mild. Will they be abandoning cars next? Traffic accidents kill a lot more people each day than the number ever killed by nuclear plant accidents.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 326
May 30th, 2011 at 7:15:20 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Take a clsoer look at the salt next time you buy some. I'd be surprised if you find UN-iodized salt.

actually you can buy un-iodized, for some types of cooking it is preferred as the iodine turns certain things an undesirable dark color IIRC. And in our house we use a lot of sea salt, which has none.

the sea salt has been curious. At first I was 'just going along with it', but I came to realize that for some reason you seem to need a lot less of it. Our mill broke and we went back to regular salt for the table and I missed it so bad I went out and bought another right away! Don't buy the overpriced French stuff though.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 30th, 2011 at 7:34:37 AM permalink

actually you can buy un-iodized, for some types of cooking it is preferred as the iodine turns certain things an undesirable dark color IIRC. And in our house we use a lot of sea salt, which has none.

In Mexico all table and cooking salt is iodized and most of it contains fluorine, too, including sea salt. I'm unsure about salt used for medical purposes.

Now, sea salt can be a lot of things. Ocean water has a great deal more than salt dissolved in it, and the crystals sold seem to be "natural," meaning they're not refined. So it's possible it has a lot of other chemicals in in it besides NaCl. I'd check the label for what else it has.

Quote:

the sea salt has been curious. At first I was 'just going along with it', but I came to realize that for some reason you seem to need a lot less of it. Our mill broke and we went back to regular salt for the table and I missed it so bad I went out and bought another right away!

Probably for all the additional chemicals in it.

BTW most food, especially canned, contains enough salt in it already. Therefore I seldom use salt for cooking, and I never add salt to anything at the table.

Salt is about the cheapest commodity in the world, except perhaps for air (and nobody trades air), and it has a huge effect on taste. anturally it's used in just about all processed foods. This is ironic, considering at one time in Western history salt was so dear, it was used as currency about on a par with gold.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
May 30th, 2011 at 9:12:03 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Take a clsoer look at the salt next time you buy some. I'd be surprised if you find UN-iodized salt. You need iodine to make the thyroid work. Period. That's why some thyroid tumors are treated with radioactive iodine: the thryroid absorbs most of it and the radiation kills the tumor (and usually the gland, but there are synthetic thyroid hormones to replace it).

It's amazing a country would abandon a source of energy after an accident so mild. Will they be abandoning cars next? Traffic accidents kill a lot more people each day than the number ever killed by nuclear plant accidents.

How much un-iodized salt do you want? My bet is it is a Mexican thing not to have the unleaded stuff. As another person said, it is easily available in the USA. Package says, "This salt does not contain iodine, a necesary nutrient. When it rains, it pours."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: