Poll

16 votes (80%)
4 votes (20%)

20 members have voted

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 19th, 2011 at 10:54:26 AM permalink
If you are into movies with tough moral dilemma's, I recommend "Gone, Baby, Gone". Produced in 2007, it was written and directed by Ben Affleck (but don't hold that against it), and "stars" Morgan Freeman (who actually has a fairly small role) and Casey Affleck.

I don't want to give the whole thing away, but the film centers on the kidnapping of a young girl, and Casey Affleck's attempt to unravel the case.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
May 19th, 2011 at 3:02:26 PM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

I didn't say the movie was good. I said it was thought-provoking.

Yeah, it provoked me into wanting to smash my TV. It was a low budget, poorly written and acted piece of trash. It would have a made a dollar and a half if it had been released in theatres. Hollywood types love making crap like this. Sleep deprivation and pulling off the guys fingernails, they haven't used that kind of torture since the Korean conflict.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 163
May 19th, 2011 at 5:30:53 PM permalink
An alternative answer here:

Perhaps you needn't torture the children, but if you can make the person think you are torturing them.

Surely, if you planned ahead, (actually formulated a plan with experts) using a combination of Hollywood FX and magician trickery you could probably concoct a plan where your terrorist was convinced that his children were not only being tortured, but were right there in the room with him.

It probably would require some rough treatment -- for instance throwing a kid into a rubberized wall -- he wouldn't be hurt, but bagging the terrorists head a moment afterward and making the appropriate sounds letting his imagination work out the details.

I actually, believe this would be possible, with lots of pre-practice, and I think it would excape the conundrum posed in a lot of cases.

Of course, one could argue we tortured the terrorist by any definition. Making him believe you were torturing his children would surely classify as true torture whether true or not. Emotions are real. If a policeman, or someone who looks like one, shows up at your door and tells you a close family member is dead in a car accident, it would certainly be as terrible as the real thing if you had no reason to doubt it at that moment.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 163
May 19th, 2011 at 5:38:10 PM permalink
...magicians can create effects where the head and torso are a real person, but the bare feet with electrodes attached could belong to a child actor substitute who wasn't being shocked at all --- and etc., That sort of thing.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

• Jump to: