Thread Rating:

Poll

7 votes (20%)
3 votes (8.57%)
6 votes (17.14%)
19 votes (54.28%)

35 members have voted

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11677
March 8th, 2011 at 5:44:24 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

In the future I'm not going to so easily do these investigations.



Actually I would like it if we could let JL and MKL fade into the night. I doubt anyone here liked both of them and no one liked their general behavior. A thread has even started saying how nice it is without them and how even other people are getting along better. Maybe we could all resolve on March 21, 30 days after both have been gone, to move on?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
March 8th, 2011 at 5:45:40 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It would depend on the context.



Noted.

I won't ask you to divulge a PM, and you wouldn't if I asked, but I'm willing to lay odds one reaon mkl "resigned" was that Jerry got banned. Come to think of it, he probably wouldn't admit it in even in a PM.

Quote:

In the future I'm not going to so easily do these investigations.



Good for you. They're mostly pointless anyway. I mean no disrespect to JB, but I'm sure there's a simple way to show a fake IP address. Anonimization tools have been around about as long as the Internet. Remember the old anon.penet.fi domain? Not to mention that prior to posting here, I'd have sworn PGP stood for "Pretty Good Privacy."

Ah, nostalgia: the sure sign one is getting old :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
weaselman
weaselman
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 2349
March 8th, 2011 at 5:57:33 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed


Good for you. They're mostly pointless anyway. I mean no disrespect to JB, but I'm sure there's a simple way to show a fake IP address. Anonimization tools have been around about as long as the Internet.


Yes, it is easy to hide your real IP. But to hide it in a way that it would not be easily noticeable that you are hiding it is not trivial at all.
(If you are using an anonymizer, you'll be showing anonymizer's IP, which usually is pretty obvious).
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
clarkacal
clarkacal
Joined: Sep 22, 2010
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 401
March 8th, 2011 at 7:35:05 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Actually I would like it if we could let JL and MKL fade into the night. I doubt anyone here liked both of them and no one liked their general behavior. A thread has even started saying how nice it is without them and how even other people are getting along better. Maybe we could all resolve on March 21, 30 days after both have been gone, to move on?



I think a better idea would be to let them back but with very limited priviledges. Picture this: A quarantined thread devoted just to MKL and Jerry Logan that would be in some corner of the home page so it wouldn't be the first thing new subscribers see. In this thread MKL and Jerry could fight it out indefinitely and regular members could contribute if they wanted to. This would ensure a more peaceful forum for everyone but access to the train wreck most of us secretly enjoy when we wanted. It would of course need a warning label.
OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
Joined: Dec 17, 2009
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 254
March 8th, 2011 at 8:16:12 PM permalink
Quote: clarkacal

I think a better idea would be to let them back but with very limited priviledges. Picture this: A quarantined thread devoted just to MKL and Jerry Logan that would be in some corner of the home page so it wouldn't be the first thing new subscribers see. In this thread MKL and Jerry could fight it out indefinitely and regular members could contribute if they wanted to. This would ensure a more peaceful forum for everyone but access to the train wreck most of us secretly enjoy when we wanted. It would of course need a warning label.



Good idea in theory but it would never work. Jerry was a troll, and trolls live solely to disrupt and destroy online communities. If he were limited in such a way that it's easy to ignore him, he would eventually start acting up in other places to get attention and get perma-banned again.
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 423
  • Posts: 24075
March 8th, 2011 at 11:37:14 PM permalink
Quote: OneAngryDwarf

Jerry was a troll, and trolls live solely to disrupt and destroy online communities.



And MKL wasn't? His goal was to be the most frequent poster, invade every thread, and insult and belittle anyone who didn't agree with him. Thats what a Troll does.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11677
March 9th, 2011 at 4:05:27 AM permalink
Quote: clarkacal

This would ensure a more peaceful forum for everyone but access to the train wreck most of us secretly enjoy when we wanted.




For now you will have to make due with what Charlie Sheen puts out I guess.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
Joined: Dec 17, 2009
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 254
March 9th, 2011 at 7:47:40 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

And MKL wasn't? His goal was to be the most frequent poster, invade every thread, and insult and belittle anyone who didn't agree with him. Thats what a Troll does.



I know you had your disagreements with him, but I agree with the Wizard on this one...during that month when Jerry was banned and mkl was still here, he made some worthwhile contributions. He had some controversial opinions, sure, but more often than not they stimulated some interesting discussion.
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel
progrocker
progrocker
Joined: Feb 21, 2010
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 303
March 9th, 2011 at 8:35:33 AM permalink
I don't really care about the original question of this thread (which is how I voted) but since the subject of IP tracing came up I just wanted to point out that IF mkl wanted to have multiple handles he seems to be savvy enough to think of using proxy servers.
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
Joined: Dec 10, 2010
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 878
March 9th, 2011 at 10:16:51 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

And MKL wasn't? His goal was to be the most frequent poster, invade every thread, and insult and belittle anyone who didn't agree with him. Thats what a Troll does.



When I first came here and disagreed with JL, EnvyBonus thought I was mkl, then you and JL piled on. And you wonder why there aren't more females here?

Not everyone is mkl.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.

  • Jump to: