odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 5th, 2011 at 2:21:44 PM permalink
Joel came out with these lyrics while Feminism was plenty strong, yet as far as I know never caught much criticism. It struck me while listening that he really slams women here, and it would seem just makes up for it by saying he likes women anyway...

...She can ruin your faith with her casual lies
...she'll take what you give her as long it's free, Yeah, She steals like a thief

etc., we're all familiar with these I think. Maybe another reason it works is that it strikes a cord with us guys and women can't deny a lot of this?

( From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/b/billy-joel-lyrics/she_s-always-a-woman-to-me-lyrics.html )

She's Always A Woman To Me lyrics

She can kill with a smile, she can wound with her eyes
She can ruin your faith with her casual lies
And she only reveals what she wants you to see
She hides like a child, but she's always a woman to me

She can lead you to love, she can take you or leave you
She can ask for the truth, but she'll never believe
And she'll take what you give her as long it's free
Yeah, She steals like a thief, but she's always a woman to me

CHORUS
Ohhh... she takes care of herself
She can wait if she wants, she's ahead of her time
Ohhh... and she never gives out
And she never gives in, she just changes her mind

And she'll promise you more than the garden of Eden
Then she'll carelessly cut you and laugh while you're bleeding
But she'll bring out the best and the worst you can be
Blame it all on yourself 'cause she's always a woman to me

CHORUS

She's frequently kind and she's suddenly cruel
She can do as she pleases, she's nobody's fool
And she can't be convicted, she's earned her degree
And the most she will do is throw shadows at you,
But she's always a woman to me

CHORUS
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 5th, 2011 at 2:45:08 PM permalink
Never figured out what is meant by "throw shadows".

I doubt feminists would complain about lyrics that recognize such power in females.
clarkacal
clarkacal
  • Threads: 42
March 5th, 2011 at 2:46:30 PM permalink
Yes he seems to take a powerless stance in the song which feminists would enjoy.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 5th, 2011 at 3:55:53 PM permalink
I generally thought that "Always a Woman" was much less offensive toward women than "Only the Good Die Young", which offends the church as a sideline.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 5th, 2011 at 4:28:05 PM permalink
The sense of the lyrics isn't too different from "Bette Davis' Eyes" by Kim Carnes, or "Killer Queen" by Queen.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
March 5th, 2011 at 5:56:55 PM permalink
The song was written about his wife not about women in general so nothing to be offended about really.
OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
  • Threads: 44
March 5th, 2011 at 9:03:43 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I generally thought that "Always a Woman" was much less offensive toward women than "Only the Good Die Young", which offends the church as a sideline.

As a Billy Joel fan and someone who was raised in an ultra-religious household (not religious myself anymore, so much, but still have respect for Christian values and teachings), I've always found that particular song much less offensive if you consider it less of an anti-Catholic diatribe and more of a frustrated rant of a guy who just wants to get in a girl's pants.
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
March 5th, 2011 at 9:36:47 PM permalink
I think that is a beautiful song. One of the best love songs of its time, in my opinion. It is about accepting someone for who they are, the good and bad, and embracing all of it, even the bad parts. The perfect compliment to Only the Good Die Young, which was also a great song, but which treated the subject as a conquest to get her in bed.

I don't see how even the most diehard feminist could find fault in that song. Feminist doctrine is not my strong suit, but I don't think the movement ever claimed women were all the same and without fault. If anything, I think they might identify with the strength and self-reliance of the subject of the song.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 6th, 2011 at 8:42:51 AM permalink
Quote: OneAngryDwarf

... less offensive if you consider it less of an anti-Catholic diatribe and more of a frustrated rant of a guy who just wants to get in a girl's pants.

Agreed. That's what I intended when I suggested "Only the Good Die Young" might be the more offensive song to women, with offending the church just being a sideline issue there. Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I considered "Always a Woman" a love song and "Only the Good Die Young" an extremely crude attempt at seduction.
  • Jump to: