1 vote (2.5%)
2 votes (5%)
1 vote (2.5%)

40 members have voted

clarkacal
clarkacal
  • Threads: 42
January 23rd, 2011 at 4:41:34 PM permalink
I know, I always forget some good ones. I wish I could edit polls.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 23rd, 2011 at 4:53:56 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Bribe? No, bribing politicians is illegal. But you seem to have a problem with the fact that corporate execs have one job and that is to maximize shareholder wealth.

No, that that shouldn't be their only job. That view is the problem with corporate America today. If they wanted to maximize wealth they would just sell out to the highest bidder. Being a good corporate executive also means making decisions that will maximize the value of the company in the long term. That means managing its balance sheet well, achieving capital growth by making wise use of reinvesting their capital, and making sure that the company remains a going concern. It should also mean to have some degree of corporate responsibility to its employees and its community through decent benefits, pension plans, and compensation. However, with globalization and competition nowadays, that is becoming more and more difficult.

My vote was crooked politicians.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 23rd, 2011 at 4:57:47 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

But why would there necessarily be "shady people" in that profession, more than any other?

Fact of the matter is, a lot of people use loan sharks, so they must be providing a service. If you can't get a bank loan (and these days, only about fifteen people in the entire country can), then it's either to the pawnshop to get a $50 loan on a $2000 wedding ring, or to the loan shark. It's a business like any other--with the prices (interest, "vig", etc.) set by supply and demand. At least with a loan shark you know what the terms are--unlike with a mortgage bank that charges fees, points, modifications, rate changes, fees, points, just cause we can fees, and extra charges that are applied according to the signs of the zodiac.

So now you advocate loan sharks. In my neck of the woods, Asian loan sharks charge 10 percent interest every other day. And if you don't pay, you die. Link.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
January 23rd, 2011 at 4:59:56 PM permalink
There are no shady professions, just shady people. A variation of ....
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
January 23rd, 2011 at 5:07:38 PM permalink
Top of my list in the UK are 'Wheel Clampers' if you can call that a profession.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 166
January 23rd, 2011 at 5:24:28 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

There are "shady" people in every profession, including doctors, priests, hot dog vendors, pimps, undertakers, and professional zombie hunters. There are also perfectly good people in each of those, and all other, professions.

I think there's a high percentage of frauds in people making a living telling you that your dead relative has a message for you business. James (what's his name), comes to mind. If most know they are frauds, then it's pretty shady.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 166
January 23rd, 2011 at 5:25:09 PM permalink
Of course, I would say that percentage is 100%.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
January 23rd, 2011 at 6:05:03 PM permalink
I am curious how those of us who work for large corporations feel about corporate executives, as compared to those who work for small or independent companies. I have no problem lumping corporate executives in the same slime pool as politicians.

Corporate America is destroying our country chasing the almighty grail of ultra high stock prices. Move all of the jobs off-shore where you can get it done cheaper. Move the corporate office off shore, so you save on corporate taxes. Get rid of the pension plans, social security will take care of the workers. Cut the salary plan, the workers who did not get off shored are happy to just have a job. What are you left with? A company that just had RECORD net revenue, double digit growth, and huge stock increase. So, reward the CEO and his cronies with $20M in bonus pay and stock options because they did such a great job at managing the stock price. Never mind that $20M would have paid for a salary increase for the people who are making 1/500 the wages of the top company execs. Oh yeah, in order to get a great start to the next year, we better lay off some more people. Don't forget, we have to manage our expenses.
Meanwhile, 3,000 Americans are out of work, collecting unemployment from our government, while the government has 3,000 less people paying taxes, and the corporation itself is paying less tax. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that qualified skills can't be found on US soil, so they have to go to Washington and plead to increase the H1B visa count so we can bring in qualified skills, even though we have 1,000s of people in the US out of work. Of course, what they really mean is they can't find US skills who are qualified AND willing to take a job for the 35k the H1B worker will take.

New workers today know the rules of the game going in. Hit and run. Hit and run. Watch out for #1. But there are 1,000s of people who worked most of their careers under a set of rules that said watch the company back, and the company will watch yours. Except when things got tough the company watched out for itself, and then when things got better the company gave all the cash to the CEO.

Look at the airlines. Demonstrate how you are about to go under. Win concessions from the unions, give up salary, give up benefits, etc. Then when the airline survives, reward the CEO with a massive bonus for doing such a wonderful job. Huh ???

I am all for capitalism, BUT it is not capitalism when you are screwing the workers in your company to make your numbers, and then getting rewarded with money that was taken from the workers. It is legalized THEFT
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
wildqat
wildqat
  • Threads: 4
January 24th, 2011 at 12:02:32 AM permalink
I vote for oak trees.

Quote: P90

I'm surprised so many people go after attorneys. Surely their job description varies, but it's a job the system requires, and the system wouldn't work if they didn't do it. And most of the time they are acting under client orders, so it becomes shooting the messenger.

I know that lawyer hatred goes back at least as far as Shakespeare, but as far as modern times go, I think most people associate "lawyer" with the shyster types on TV commercials and class-action attorneys (also seen on TV). There are a lot more that actually work for the greater good and not the paycheck at the end of a big lawsuit, though.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 24th, 2011 at 12:16:23 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

So now you advocate loan sharks. In my neck of the woods, Asian loan sharks charge 10 percent interest every other day. And if you don't pay, you die. Link.

I didn't "advocate" bloody all. I only remarked that if there wasn't a demand for the service loan sharks provide, loan sharks wouldn't exist. That makes them not necessarily "shady" in my eyes, any more than a bartender is "shady" because people get drunk and then crash their cars into trees.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw

• Jump to: