5 votes (83.33%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (16.66%)

6 members have voted

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 31st, 2023 at 6:19:29 AM permalink
This article is a little simplistic but interesting.

I worked at a place that someone on the team asked a bunch of stuff including birthday. I left the day blank.

"I need your birthday, you can keep the year secret."
"You can have the year, the rest no."
"Don't you want your desk and cube decorated?"
"That is exactly what I don't want!"
"Sigh.....another loner......"

The place would put confetti on your desk and other decorations. I dreaded the idea. OTOH, if they just put out some donuts and at most you get some quick happy birthdays I can deal with that to go along get along. I once started a job on my birthday, told nobody. Same place years later for my 50th I went to a local breakfast buffet and made a bacon "50" alone, at work told nobody. (Yes, I did the same thing for 52 but never since.) So count me as the non-birthday type.

Some people love the hype. Joe Hardy of 84 Lumber had a huge bash on his 84th and died on his 100th, I swear to attention-whore one last time.

Where do you fall?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Mental
Mental
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
unJon
August 31st, 2023 at 6:47:10 AM permalink
I hate your birthday.
This forum is more enjoyable after I learned how to use the 'Block this user' button.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 31st, 2023 at 7:04:24 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

This article is a little simplistic but interesting.

I worked at a place that someone on the team asked a bunch of stuff including birthday. I left the day blank.

"I need your birthday, you can keep the year secret."
"You can have the year, the rest no."
"Don't you want your desk and cube decorated?"
"That is exactly what I don't want!"
"Sigh.....another loner......"

The place would put confetti on your desk and other decorations. I dreaded the idea. OTOH, if they just put out some donuts and at most you get some quick happy birthdays I can deal with that to go along get along. I once started a job on my birthday, told nobody. Same place years later for my 50th I went to a local breakfast buffet and made a bacon "50" alone, at work told nobody. (Yes, I did the same thing for 52 but never since.) So count me as the non-birthday type.

Some people love the hype. Joe Hardy of 84 Lumber had a huge bash on his 84th and died on his 100th, I swear to attention-whore one last time.

Where do you fall?
link to original post

I often forget my own birthday and do not remember until my wife mentions it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
August 31st, 2023 at 7:16:28 AM permalink
I find birthdays are a good excuse to get together with friends & family or, as happened a few years ago, an excuse to go to Vegas!. I get a card at work; that is sufficient for me. I don't require much of a fuss be made. The A-listers at the office also get a cake, but I guess I just don't rate!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
August 31st, 2023 at 8:12:06 AM permalink
Hate my birthday and don't want to celebrate it.

I have had that work situation as well, but I understand that has gone by the wayside now because Jehovah's Witnesses doesn't allow birthday celebrations.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
August 31st, 2023 at 8:20:33 AM permalink
Quote: Mental

I hate your birthday.
link to original post

I hate it too. ;)

I'm not a particular fan of being fussed over for nothing.

After a few bad experiences at the old office (office vandalized in celebration of the wrong day was notable), the old house (rusted out water heaters are a mess), the old marriage (pretty sure at least twice she spent my birthday with someone else, and at least one of those had me changing a rusted out water heater), and a few other things... I'm just over it.

In contrast, I have a friend who signs up for every birthday freebie she can find, and has an absolutely swell time doing a month long coupon-run, chasing down the free coffee, free tea, free lemonade, free cake slice, free donut, free muffin, free taco, free basket of fries, free salad, free sandwich, free breakfast sandwich, I lose track of it all... I think she eats free for about half her birthday month.

Y'all be celebratory, just let us misanthropes sit quietly in the corner. ;)
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
August 31st, 2023 at 8:55:51 AM permalink
I enjoy birthdays, but don't go crazy over them. I threw myself a huge 40th birthday bash and a much smaller 50th. most have been low-key since then as my friends are mostly on the East Coast. I turn 65 this year, and my family wants me to fly to NY for it, but it's December and I don't do winter.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
August 31st, 2023 at 9:13:01 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I enjoy birthdays, but don't go crazy over them. I threw myself a huge 40th birthday bash and a much smaller 50th. most have been low-key since then as my friends are mostly on the East Coast. I turn 65 this year, and my family wants me to fly to NY for it, but it's December and I don't do winter.
link to original post

Avoid the cold. You are a wise man.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 31st, 2023 at 10:22:41 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

In contrast, I have a friend who signs up for every birthday freebie she can find, and has an absolutely swell time doing a month long coupon-run, chasing down the free coffee, free tea, free lemonade, free cake slice, free donut, free muffin, free taco, free basket of fries, free salad, free sandwich, free breakfast sandwich, I lose track of it all... I think she eats free for about half her birthday month.

That I am down with. It does not always work out as some are for just your birthday and some end up BOGO. But I get my free Red Robin to name one.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 31st, 2023 at 12:09:09 PM permalink
Birthday was yesterday. Small gathering with family. Just right. I’m getting all sorts of free bets from the online sports books. I beg my loved ones NOT to buy me any presents. I got too much stuff already.
DRich
DRich
August 31st, 2023 at 1:59:57 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Birthday was yesterday. Small gathering with family. Just right. I’m getting all sorts of free bets from the online sports books. I beg my loved ones NOT to buy me any presents. I got too much stuff already.
link to original post

As kids we all wanted more stuff, as adults we have too much.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
August 31st, 2023 at 6:35:14 PM permalink
I like my b-day-it has 3 7's in it, if you include the year, and it's in July and the weather is always nice, Only downside was I went to one school that gave the pupils a free lunch on their b-day month. So I had to watch all my classmates get their free lunch all year, while I had to wait until June and get mine with all the others who had b-days in the Summer. I was jealous the whole year!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 1st, 2023 at 2:35:07 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

Alas, few people realize this. They just buy bigger houses to keep it all.
DRich
DRich
September 1st, 2023 at 4:54:06 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

Alas, few people realize this. They just buy bigger houses to keep it all.
link to original post

When I left Las Vegas two years ago I moved out of a 3300 SqFt house and all I took fit in this one box.

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 1st, 2023 at 10:29:14 AM permalink
I always liked my birthday because it's June 28th and it's summer and there's so many things I can get for my birthday that I can use in the summer. Plus I just found out a few months ago that June 28th is also the birthday of Elon Musk so that makes my birthday twice as good. My wife's birthday on the other hand, is 3 days before Christmas and she always got really ripped off as a kid because nobody ever celebrated her birthday they just celebrated it at Christmas on the same day until she got older and demanded that she got a separate celebration which she had every right to.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
September 1st, 2023 at 11:40:41 AM permalink
Neutral. Everyone except my fiancee knows to just ignore it.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 1st, 2023 at 3:36:06 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I always liked my birthday because it's June 28th and it's summer and there's so many things I can get for my birthday that I can use in the summer. Plus I just found out a few months ago that June 28th is also the birthday of Elon Musk so that makes my birthday twice as good. My wife's birthday on the other hand, is 3 days before Christmas and she always got really ripped off as a kid because nobody ever celebrated her birthday they just celebrated it at Christmas on the same day until she got older and demanded that she got a separate celebration which she had every right to.
link to original post

I feel bad for those people. Took a call from one at a job, he was born Dec 25. I ask to confirm it and he groaned....."yeah." I mean I felt the groan over the phone.

Mine is near Thanksgiving so when I lived away from home and even now it can get celebrated then or the day after. I stopped caring decade ago so that one doesn't bother me. Of course if you do not care in the first place it is nice as the holiday deflects the attention.

Only about 20 more of them to go anyways.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 1st, 2023 at 10:43:26 PM permalink
When I was a kid I had a buddy who had the rotten luck to have his birthday fall on Christmas Day.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 2nd, 2023 at 11:44:06 AM permalink
I just found out I just found out that not only do I share a birthday with Elon Musk, but Mel Brooks was born on our birthday. Surely the Gods love June 28th.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
  • Jump to: