No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

1 member has voted

smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
February 7th, 2023 at 4:32:58 PM permalink
An exhaustive 5 seconds of Googling didn't turn up any articles on Designated Survivor betting like last year.

The question for the poll is: Who will be the Designated Survivor during the Feb. 7, 2023 State of the Union Address?

The Field is a strong bet, as I ran out of space for Secretary of Veterans Affairs Denis McDonough and Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas. I didn't include last year's Designated Survivor, Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo, though consecutive appointments have been made as recently as 2017. Also, the President pro tempore of the Senate (this year: Patty Murray) on occasion gets picked.

Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
Thanked by
smoothgrh
February 7th, 2023 at 4:40:49 PM permalink
CNN.com ran a story on Designated Survivors. Since they have been made public in 1984, five cabinet positions have never had one: State, Treasury, Defense, Labor, and Education.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
February 7th, 2023 at 4:46:46 PM permalink
Hm. But the Education Secretary was the first DS that was publicly revealed: Terrel Bell from the Reagan Administration.

I saw Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in the list of DSs, however I didn't read the footnote that there was a DS appointed, but Clinton was de facto DS being overseas as the senior cabinet member.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
February 7th, 2023 at 6:48:05 PM permalink
Labor Secretary Marty Walsh
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
Thanked by
smoothgrh
February 7th, 2023 at 6:50:18 PM permalink
Many of the listed candidates are high profile and Biden would want them in the audience, Marty Walsh is leaving the administration to head the NHL player's union, so he's a short-timer. That leaves only one or two obvious choices.

I just learned the designated survivor isn't revealed until after the SOTU is over.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
February 7th, 2023 at 6:52:12 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Many of the listed candidates are high profile and Biden would want them in the audience, Marty Walsh is leaving the administration to head the NHL player's union, so he's a short-timer. That leaves only one or two obvious choices.

I just learned the designated survivor isn't revealed until after the SOTU is over.
link to original post

Turns out I was wrong...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/07/politics/designated-survivor-state-of-the-union-2023/index.html
  • Jump to: