AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 231
November 25th, 2010 at 9:17:48 AM permalink
Not sure if my request to sign up made it or not (it is missing here now) so sign me up.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
November 25th, 2010 at 9:38:43 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Count me in, I have tons of useless facts in my head. I always say if it is in my head it is useless.

Here is an obscure trivia question, a short essay type actually.

Why was the area code for New York (pre-splits) set as 212?

I know that one: it's quick to dial on a rotary phone.

(Count me in too.)
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
November 25th, 2010 at 9:52:20 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Cold turkey.

Was California (the Bear Republic) the last of them?

Yes--California, Texas, and West Florida.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
mkl654321
mkl654321
November 25th, 2010 at 9:53:44 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Hawaii was 20th century anyway. Puerto Rico would be a viable answer, but if that counts, we should consider Cuba and the Phillipines as well. I'm not saying their situations are exactly the same, but my knowledge of the Spanish-American war is starting to run real thin here. Maybe MKL meant the 50 states only.

Those three lands were Spanish territories when we annexed them after the Spanish-American war.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
TheNightfly
TheNightfly
  • Threads: 23
November 25th, 2010 at 10:05:58 AM permalink
I'm happy to join the group. Sounds like fun.
Happiness is underrated
mkl654321
mkl654321
November 25th, 2010 at 10:09:17 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Texas & Cali came right to mind, I like CSA for the third answer but never would have thought of it myself.

But as an answer, it isn't quite correct--we never absorbed the CSA back into the US AS A REPUBLIC--we readmitted the individual states, one by one. So kudos for imagination, but...
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 25th, 2010 at 10:28:19 AM permalink
Quote: Croupier

Anyone interested slap your name down here,

Well, if the prize is gonna be booze, you can be sure fleastiff will slap his name down. I'm presently bumping my chin against the footrail but I should be okay by quiz time.
Trivia can be fun but sometimes its strange when I've never heard of the movies or the movie stars and everyone else in the bar knows just what is going on. I won't know anything about Paris Hilton, not even which roulette wheel she slumped over while drunk or something.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
November 25th, 2010 at 10:46:11 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Those three lands were Spanish territories when we annexed them after the Spanish-American war.

I dont think Texas was annexed, I think it was admitted by treaty. I want to say they are the only state admitted that way, which is why they can secede at any time. I knew my kids taking texas history would pay off.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
mkl654321
mkl654321
November 25th, 2010 at 11:00:10 AM permalink
Quote: avargov

I dont think Texas was annexed, I think it was admitted by treaty. I want to say they are the only state admitted that way, which is why they can secede at any time. I knew my kids taking texas history would pay off.

The original Texas Republic was admitted by treaty. However, after the Civil War, the state of Texas was readmitted to the US by, in effect, popular vote, which included a loyalty oath and a pledge NOT to support secession, so if Texas had the right to secede before the Civil War, it didn't after it was readmitted.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
December 7th, 2010 at 1:59:05 AM permalink
I did post the questions for this for those that missed it. Next questions will be Posted in around 24 hours, so the last chance for those who havnt answered yet.
[This space is intentionally left blank]

• Jump to: