odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 18th, 2020 at 4:21:27 AM permalink
Man! No gambling, no sports. 

Our isolation has some of us turning to boardgames online. I'd be playing chess where I liked playing against the computer [chess.com] as it has a version that goes from easy-to-beat on up to impossible [for me], but it went kerflooie on me ~ too much traffic? That's a disappointment as I need those lower levels to compete against if I haven't played in a while. 

Wizard had an idea we might try to play each other online with some kind of Risk boardgame ~ looked into that and haven't gotten far with it. Seems like a missed opportunity for some outfit to make this easy, or maybe I missed it. But as far as one on one with the computer, I did come across something, if you like Risk-type games it's pretty good. 

I signed up but for me I think there was no reason to do so. There is a wilderness of a community there, quite mysterious really. Apparently you can have games with other people online, win gold stars or somesuch, and god knows what else, but I haven't taken the plunge. Importantly, it just looks like you can't set up a game with opponents that aren't randomly picked? Maybe I'll try to figure that out for sure. 

In any case playing the computer on 'single player' went from too hard to too easy after figuring out how predictable the digital foes are. Currently I am trying to beat it by playing the two starting armies [out of 4] that are furthest apart while self-imposing a rule that the other two cannot be moved, only reinforced. If I exceed in strength any other opponent I have to discard reinforcement cards. I'd say I am still the most likely to win but often as not some opponent just gets too strong. 

Definitely go with increased luck factor and 'weighted random' outcomes ~ I set it to 100%.

BTW I have an adblocker on my computer and that may be one reason I like this place just fine. I also have no complaints about spam on the email address I gave them. Not necessary to sign up though, I believe, though I did. 

https://www.warzone.com/SinglePlayer?CustomGame=1
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 20th, 2020 at 7:58:05 AM permalink
It wouldn't appear I generated any interest in warzone.com Risk-type gaming, but if anybody has joined [it's free] I have figured out how we can play a game.

You can PM me if interested
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
nighterfighter
nighterfighter
  • Threads: 1
April 20th, 2020 at 12:22:41 PM permalink
I will plug two services for online board games:

Tabletopia

and

Tabletop Simulator (PC game you can purchase on Steam)

Both are pretty neat.
  • Jump to: