SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
Joined: Sep 23, 2014
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 420
August 27th, 2019 at 6:58:39 AM permalink
I hope I can get some help or suggestion for this.

I'm hosting two very close friends from the UK in October. They've booked tickets 6 months ago to fly to Vegas and spend 2 nights 3 days with myself in Vegas and then go to San Fran for a few days before heading back. A couple of days ago, they announced that they were pregnant. My assumption said "there goes their Vegas trip," but my friends were not fazed by it at all. They've been to Vegas before, and they think the "big strip" casinos are fine with their air circulating system. I showed a bit of concern, but they don't think it's a big deal as long as they stay and gamble in the non-smoking section.

Now, my libertarian in me says don't get involved and let them do whatever they want. However, I don't think I will have as much fun keep thinking about my pregnant friend spending 3-4 hours on the casino floor each night. FYI my friends play 50% slots and 50% table games. And WHAT IF, something goes wrong with their pregnancy, I may feel forever guilty for being part of the reason.

Cancelling their Vegas trip is out of the question at this point. At least she's going to abstain from drinking, but I personally think it's a bad idea to be exposed to that much smoke for 3 days.

My current reservation is at Planet Hollywood, and I found that place to be really smoky. Since my friends won't budge doing something else, I may have to do my own part by changing hotels to a less smokier place. I know the Wizard did his independent testing of air quality about 10 years ago. Did he have a follow-up on this or announced publicly/privately which casino was the best. Does anybody have any good suggestions on a hotel or casino that seems to be less smokier (I've been told Palazzo and Venetian and Aria). I've also got suggestions from other friends that if gambling is a must for my friends, the advice is to do it in the AM where there is less traffic and less smokers. Is there such a thing as a non-smoking casino in vegas or at least a huge space dedicated for non-smokers? Any suggestions or advice would help. Thanks.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 171
  • Posts: 9488
August 27th, 2019 at 7:40:59 AM permalink
Any reason you aren't " hosting " your close friends in your non smoking residence? That would greatly reduce their exposure.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14433
Thanks for this post from:
SiegfriedRoy
August 27th, 2019 at 9:09:54 AM permalink
the interior cabin air of a non-smoking airliner is worse than the worst casino in Vegas.

Seated at slots or a table game for extended periods of time might be worse than the air inhaled.

Fig tree oil is the most frequent perfume added in casinos to mask the smells of stale French fries and male urine. I doubt it poses a hazard to a fetus.

The M resort used to have the smallest droplets of oil and best air-change rates but that was a long time ago, no idea on their current practices.

exercise and air conditioning might have greater value than pure air inhalation.

ultimately it is their decisions that count, not yours.
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
Joined: Sep 23, 2014
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 420
August 27th, 2019 at 9:31:10 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Any reason you aren't " hosting " your close friends in your non smoking residence? That would greatly reduce their exposure.



I couldn't agree with you more. I thought it was a no-brainer and suggested different travel itineraries or staying at my place. They have a non-refundable flight to Vegas, so they can't change that. I even suggested going to yellowstone instead of Vegas, but they keep insisting they'll be fine and want to enjoy Vegas.
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
Joined: Sep 23, 2014
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 420
August 27th, 2019 at 9:37:16 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

the interior cabin air of a non-smoking airliner is worse than the worst casino in Vegas.

Seated at slots or a table game for extended periods of time might be worse than the air inhaled.



Is this because of third-hand smoking?


Quote: FleaStiff

The M resort used to have the smallest droplets of oil and best air-change rates but that was a long time ago, no idea on their current practices.



That's a great suggestion, but I was looking for somewhere on the strip.

Quote: FleaStiff

ultimately it is their decisions that count, not yours.



I understand that, therefore I've decided to go along with it. I just feel personally ill to not care. Whether my due diligence makes a difference or not, at least it's a way to make myself feel better that I did as much damage control.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14433
August 27th, 2019 at 10:59:20 AM permalink
FURTHER COMMENTS AND EXPLANATIONS:
>>>the interior cabin air of a non-smoking airliner is worse than the worst casino in Vegas.
THIS IS DUE MAINLY TO THE DEHYDRATION, VOCs, ESOTERIC CHEMICALS AND RE-CYCLED GERMS.

>>>Seated at slots or a table game for extended periods of time might be worse than the air inhaled.
BY THIS I MEAN THE SITTING RATER THAN WALKING IS WORSE THAN THE TOBACCO ISSUES.

Fig tree oil is the most frequent perfume added in casinos to mask the smells of stale French fries and male urine. I doubt it poses a hazard to a fetus. I HAVE NO EVIDENCE ON THIS ISSUE AT ALL.

The M resort used to have the smallest droplets of oil and best air-change rates but that was a long time ago, no idea on their current practices. I NOT ONLY HAVE NO IDEA OF CURRENT PRACTICES BUT THIS CASINO IS HALFWAY TO CALIFORNIA! VENETIAN DROPLETS ARE LARGER BUT SAME OIL.

exercise and air conditioning might have greater value than pure air inhalation.
WALKING AND COOL AIR MIGHT BE MORE RELEVANT THAN SECOND HAND SMOKING.
I THINK GETTING THEM BOTTLES OF WATER MIGHT BE THE BEST THING YOU COULD DO FOR THEM.
ALSO CONVINCING THEM TO PACK ANEXTRA PAIR OF SHOES WOULD HELP.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 72
  • Posts: 6279
August 27th, 2019 at 12:56:28 PM permalink
There is a simple answer that will allow both your friends and yourself to have a good time without worrying about the smoke,

ABORTION
Living longer does not always infer +EV
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 3634
August 27th, 2019 at 2:04:07 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

There is a simple answer that will allow both your friends and yourself to have a good time without worrying about the smoke,

ABORTION



Oh boy!!!! Here we go🤣🤣🤣🤣
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 108
  • Posts: 6908
Thanks for this post from:
SiegfriedRoy
August 27th, 2019 at 2:29:59 PM permalink
Don't know about if price is a factor, but Wynn/Encore seemed to do the best job of smoke removal of all the casinos in Vegas I've been in.
I'd swear Gold Coast pumps in extra smoke!
I know someone who stayed at Vdara and of course was only exposed to smoke during actual gambling times.
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 1453
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
August 27th, 2019 at 4:18:45 PM permalink
Quote: SiegfriedRoy

I hope I can get some help or suggestion for this.

I'm hosting two very close friends from the UK in October. They've booked tickets 6 months ago to fly to Vegas and spend 2 nights 3 days with myself in Vegas and then go to San Fran for a few days before heading back. A couple of days ago, they announced that they were pregnant. My assumption said "there goes their Vegas trip," but my friends were not fazed by it at all. They've been to Vegas before, and they think the "big strip" casinos are fine with their air circulating system. I showed a bit of concern, but they don't think it's a big deal as long as they stay and gamble in the non-smoking section.

Now, my libertarian in me says don't get involved and let them do whatever they want. However, I don't think I will have as much fun keep thinking about my pregnant friend spending 3-4 hours on the casino floor each night. FYI my friends play 50% slots and 50% table games. And WHAT IF, something goes wrong with their pregnancy, I may feel forever guilty for being part of the reason.

Cancelling their Vegas trip is out of the question at this point. At least she's going to abstain from drinking , but I personally think it's a bad idea to be exposed to that much smoke for 3 days.

My current reservation is at Planet Hollywood, and I found that place to be really smoky. Since my friends won't budge doing something else, I may have to do my own part by changing hotels to a less smokier place. I know the Wizard did his independent testing of air quality about 10 years ago. Did he have a follow-up on this or announced publicly/privately which casino was the best. Does anybody have any good suggestions on a hotel or casino that seems to be less smokier (I've been told Palazzo and Venetian and Aria). I've also got suggestions from other friends that if gambling is a must for my friends, the advice is to do it in the AM where there is less traffic and less smokers. Is there such a thing as a non-smoking casino in vegas or at least a huge space dedicated for non-smokers? Any suggestions or advice would help. Thanks.



Does she have a history of drinking while pregnant? She is an adult, and you are not going to change her behavior, and you are certainly not responsible for anything that does or does not happen.

It sounds like you are more worried about her than she is.

There are many casinos that have nonsmoking sections, but it sounds like your friend is not going to be interested in playing it safe.
There are also some smoke free hotels (Planet Hollywood is not one of them).

I am not trying to sound boorish, but based on your description of her, I doubt she will be interested in reading air quality charts...

"Now, my libertarian in me says don't get involved and let them do whatever they want."
That is the best advice, you are not going to change their behavior, and you could jeopardize your friendship by trying to micromanage their trip and acting like you care more about her pregnancy than she does. Just let them have fun, have fun with them, you are not responsible for their health.

  • Jump to: