SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 5790
July 29th, 2019 at 11:21:16 AM permalink
Is there anyone who actually pays for credit monitoring? I believe I have been offered free credit monitoring by multiple sources, and eventually took the one offered by Chase, who I have a credit card with.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 148
  • Posts: 2404
July 29th, 2019 at 1:20:04 PM permalink
because of the news of the breach I just signed up with creditkarma.com - it's totally free - they make their money by displaying ads
hate to sound like an ad for the site but I checked it out first and as far as I can tell there is no downside
I searched and found no negative reviews at all
they allow you to check your credit once a week - the page displays all of the companies that you owe so you can immediately see if you're getting scammed by a person or a bot
it's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters........................it's the size of the fight in the dog
Zcore13
Zcore13
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
  • Threads: 37
  • Posts: 3376
Thanks for this post from:
DRich
July 29th, 2019 at 3:24:59 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

because of the news of the breach I just signed up with creditkarma.com - it's totally free - they make their money by displaying ads
hate to sound like an ad for the site but I checked it out first and as far as I can tell there is no downside
I searched and found no negative reviews at all
they allow you to check your credit once a week - the page displays all of the companies that you owe so you can immediately see if you're getting scammed by a person or a bot



I've been using it for many years. Free monitoring, free credit reports, free dispute assistance. It's a fantastic site.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
TomG
TomG
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 1835
Thanks for this post from:
MaxPen
July 29th, 2019 at 8:16:04 PM permalink
I put in for my $375. Had to cancel Visa cards and contest fraudulent purchases, so I'm definitely claiming that
ams288
ams288
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5271
September 9th, 2019 at 4:38:19 AM permalink
Anyone else get the latest email saying you either have to verify or amend your claim by Oct. 15 or they won't get the money (which will clearly be much less than $125)?

You now have to enter which credit monitoring service you had signed up for at the time you submitted your original claim (if you went the $125 route).

I hadn't actually signed up for credit monitoring, so I just googled credit monitoring services and typed in the first one I saw.
Lock him up!
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 4920
Thanks for this post from:
Zcore13Mission146Lovecomps
September 9th, 2019 at 9:25:19 AM permalink
Quote: ams288



I hadn't actually signed up for credit monitoring, so I just googled credit monitoring services and typed in the first one I saw.



Did you click the box that said under U.S.law that everything you provided was true and correct? If so, why would you lie? Is $125 worth lying for? I really dislike people that lie for selfish reasons.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 91
  • Posts: 9319
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
September 9th, 2019 at 12:16:55 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Anyone else get the latest email saying you either have to verify or amend your claim by Oct. 15 or they won't get the money (which will clearly be much less than $125)?

You now have to enter which credit monitoring service you had signed up for at the time you submitted your original claim (if you went the $125 route).

I hadn't actually signed up for credit monitoring, so I just googled credit monitoring services and typed in the first one I saw.



well that is wrong. Have you never signed up for credit karma or any of those free ones? What about Discover card? I believe my discover card does credit monitoring for free.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 120
  • Posts: 12100
September 9th, 2019 at 12:49:19 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Did you click the box that said under U.S.law that everything you provided was true and correct? If so, why would you lie? Is $125 worth lying for? I really dislike people that lie for selfish reasons.



1. The attorneys probably get some 25-33% of the total settlement while the people who actually have their personal data compromised get, at most, $125.

2. This whole thing is all built into the system anyway. I donít know if itís true of Equifax, but any number of companies weigh the risks and expected costs of getting sued against the known cost to do the right thing by the consumer anyway; the cheaper option usually wins.

3. The credit monitoring to be provided is at least equally likely to somehow result in your data getting breached as the events that led up to it to begin with.

I happened to see some commercial the other day for a class action. Johnson & Johnson, asbestos in baby powder, knew about it and did nothing, naturally.

Why should an individual be the better person when the companies are not? So they can continue to get raped left and right? No, I donít see a huge moral issue with anyone lying and saying they have credit monitoring so they can get the $125 check on this one.
Vultures can't be choosers.
ams288
ams288
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5271
September 9th, 2019 at 1:46:20 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Did you click the box that said under U.S.law that everything you provided was true and correct? If so, why would you lie? Is $125 worth lying for? I really dislike people that lie for selfish reasons.



Yes, I clicked the box.

I lied because I want that $125.

$125 is DEFINITELY worth lying to the FTC for.

I don't care what you do or don't dislike.
Lock him up!
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 1091
September 9th, 2019 at 1:50:41 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Yes, I clicked the box.

I lied because I want that $125.

$125 is DEFINITELY worth lying to the FTC for.

I don't care what you do or don't dislike.



It will be substantially less than $125 based on reports of number of people that filed. I think this is an attempt to weed out people so the settlement per person can be increased.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.

  • Jump to: