Thread Rating:

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 30th, 2019 at 3:51:27 PM permalink
Nevada sued the Department of Energy to block a shipment of weapons grade plutonium from South Carolina to a storage facility north of Las Vegas.

Unfortunately for Nevada, the lawyers for the DoE asked for a dismissal because... THEY ALREADY TRUCKED IT IN.

Those sneaky DoE folks.... Under the guise of "National Security", they feel that they can do whatever they want with radioactive materials. Don't need to notify the elected representatives, until after it is buried in their front yard.

What if the truck got in a wreck on the highway?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 30th, 2019 at 4:04:53 PM permalink
Nevada should just face the fact that they'll be the dumping ground / depository for this stuff.

No better place for it.
"What, me worry?"
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
Thanked by
RogerKintodiousgambit
January 30th, 2019 at 4:29:29 PM permalink
My tinfoil hat theory is that the legislators were actually briefed on the plan and the state will receive ample compensation for storing the materials. The agreed to plan was to let the DoE be the bad guys so the congresspeople could cry foul in front of the voting public, but behind the scenes, there's a signed M.O.U. describing the long term plans to use Yucca Mountain for its designed purpose.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 31st, 2019 at 2:41:19 AM permalink
personally, I think it shows a tragic lack of leadership that sound policies to dispose of nuclear waste are not in place.

These things have consequences. In Japan, they were storing the used fuel rods above ground in pools of water. In order for these pools not to boil dry, pumps needed to stay operating at all times. Then the tsunami hit.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 31st, 2019 at 9:46:37 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Nevada should just face the fact that they'll be the dumping ground / depository for this stuff.

No better place for it. [/

Really? No better place than Nevada?

The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
January 31st, 2019 at 9:49:50 AM permalink
Wonder what Boris Yakimoff would have said. Maybe, "In Russia, wait is this Russia?"
I am a robot.
RubyPetersen
RubyPetersen
  • Threads: 0
February 2nd, 2019 at 2:02:30 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

personally, I think it shows a tragic lack of leadership that sound policies to dispose of nuclear waste are not in place.

These things have consequences. In Japan, they were storing the used fuel rods above ground in pools of water. In order for these pools not to boil dry, pumps needed to stay operating at all times. Then the tsunami hit.

I think this could be possible because if the truck got into the wreck then what anybody can do?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
February 2nd, 2019 at 8:42:18 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Really? No better place than Nevada?

Correct.

Congress thought so when they passed the bill creating the Yucca Mtn. nuclear waste depository.

C'mon, this crap needs to be buried somewhere, and it makes no sense to put it in a major metro area or in farm country.

Nevada is ideal: barren, isolated, about as safe a place as can be found.

Plus there is precedent: you people used to party when A-bombs sent off up the road a piece.

Yes, the area is not as geologically stable as I would like to see but if it buried thousands of miles deep what could go wrong? (rhetorical question)
Last edited by: MrV on Feb 2, 2019
"What, me worry?"
  • Jump to: