January 30th, 2019 at 10:54:37 AM permalink
I thought he was AP catcher.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 30th, 2019 at 11:30:15 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Brutal man...just brutal. How long were you a postal worker? Are you actually out now? I don't recall your profession from past posts, just discussion of hobbies/guns/hockey/etc.

Since May of '14, full time since August of '16. Currently out on comp with a separated shoulder.

Quote: GWAE

From an outsider this seems like a bit of an over reaction.

There's a lot to this. I'll be the first to admit that ALL shops aren't bad; some are rather pleasant, or at least I gather so via word of mouth from visiting workers. And a lot of this is quite personal; I consider myself a quasi-Buddhist, and believe in the four noble truths. Add to that my outdoorsmanship and the conservationist, anti-consumerist feelings such things engender, and this job is like putting a Muslim on a pig farm. That is not a quality of the USPS, but rather one of mine. In short, many of the problems are "of my own making". An ill fit, in other words.

But compare it to the noble jobs which you offered. The steel worker is the seed of creation; without him, not a thing which makes up our society could exist. The lineman ditto; civilization itself would cease to be without access to the free flowing energy we take for granted. What do I do? I bring you "Gimme money cards" from the likes of Joel Olsteen, insurance ads from Geico, and catalogs of purchasable trash from China. I bring you paper bills that you just pay online, consumer goods from a store that's quite literally on the street you live on, and Happy Birthday wishes from your dentist.

A man spends a majority of his waking life at his job, so much so for many it becomes their purpose. What happens when one's purpose becomes pointless? I'm finding out, and it's not pretty. I used to work construction, and still hustle it on the side. Back when it was my bread and butter, I made $9hr, humping 70lb slabs of shingles up 3 stories of 50yr old wooden ladders onto church steeple roofs without tie offs in 90*+. A right bitch, but one of the most rewarding jobs I had. I made something. I fixed a problem, I created a structure, I did something of value. It fulfilled a need besides just a paycheck, the need to be useful, constructive, creative. I still do construction, and currently averaging about $3hr for it, for little more than the joy of creation and the wonder of helping those less fortunate. Here at USPS, I make ~$17/hr, doing almost nothing of value while my entire physical being caves in on itself. It satisfies no need whatsoever other than a need for a paycheck, and the only way the paycheck is sufficient is due to working every f#$%ing day that's on the calendar.

So, overreact? Sure. I'm a dramatic person. There are people in my very office working the very job I do, and have been for 20-30-some nearing 40 yrs with apparent success. But for me, all it's doing is fueling my masochistic, self destructive side and driving it mach 5 into suicide town, all for pay that doesn't cut it, a pension I'll never reach, and for reasons that are the antithesis to all I hold real and dear. It's one big destructive f#$%arrow, and I can't seem to get enough of it.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
January 30th, 2019 at 12:16:22 PM permalink
So, what I unfortunately don't see from my quick skim of the report is anything about which WoV Forum critters' screen names went silent since right about the 1st of October of '17? Always my first question regardeing every koo-koo for Cocoa Puffs shooter, mad-bomber, fruitcake serial-killer, etc. Guess I should just check a couple of the ubiquitous "it's such a damn shame that nice guy good ol' Jeff Dahmler isn't here any more 'cause he was so interesting & fun & had lotsa great healthy diet advice and somebody should try to bring him back" from the folks who are regularly campaigning for even more mental illness on the site.
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
jackmagic777
jackmagic777
  • Threads: 1
January 30th, 2019 at 12:20:18 PM permalink
Tearful Infant . No one in particular
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
January 30th, 2019 at 12:38:41 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Since May of '14, full time since August of '16. Currently out on comp with a separated shoulder.

There's a lot to this. I'll be the first to admit that ALL shops aren't bad; some are rather pleasant, or at least I gather so via word of mouth from visiting workers. And a lot of this is quite personal; I consider myself a quasi-Buddhist, and believe in the four noble truths. Add to that my outdoorsmanship and the conservationist, anti-consumerist feelings such things engender, and this job is like putting a Muslim on a pig farm. That is not a quality of the USPS, but rather one of mine. In short, many of the problems are "of my own making". An ill fit, in other words.

But compare it to the noble jobs which you offered. The steel worker is the seed of creation; without him, not a thing which makes up our society could exist. The lineman ditto; civilization itself would cease to be without access to the free flowing energy we take for granted. What do I do? I bring you "Gimme money cards" from the likes of Joel Olsteen, insurance ads from Geico, and catalogs of purchasable trash from China. I bring you paper bills that you just pay online, consumer goods from a store that's quite literally on the street you live on, and Happy Birthday wishes from your dentist.

A man spends a majority of his waking life at his job, so much so for many it becomes their purpose. What happens when one's purpose becomes pointless? I'm finding out, and it's not pretty. I used to work construction, and still hustle it on the side. Back when it was my bread and butter, I made $9hr, humping 70lb slabs of shingles up 3 stories of 50yr old wooden ladders onto church steeple roofs without tie offs in 90*+. A right bitch, but one of the most rewarding jobs I had. I made something. I fixed a problem, I created a structure, I did something of value. It fulfilled a need besides just a paycheck, the need to be useful, constructive, creative. I still do construction, and currently averaging about $3hr for it, for little more than the joy of creation and the wonder of helping those less fortunate. Here at USPS, I make ~$17/hr, doing almost nothing of value while my entire physical being caves in on itself. It satisfies no need whatsoever other than a need for a paycheck, and the only way the paycheck is sufficient is due to working every f#$%ing day that's on the calendar.

So, overreact? Sure. I'm a dramatic person. There are people in my very office working the very job I do, and have been for 20-30-some nearing 40 yrs with apparent success. But for me, all it's doing is fueling my masochistic, self destructive side and driving it mach 5 into suicide town, all for pay that doesn't cut it, a pension I'll never reach, and for reasons that are the antithesis to all I hold real and dear. It's one big destructive f#$%arrow, and I can't seem to get enough of it.

You sound rediculously self destructive. Atleast you will have a job too go back to when you get better. It's not hard to beat $17 an hour these days. Heck , I see signs on the door at Tacos El Gordo for $15 an hour. Go stuff meat in a shell instead of paper in a box. Probably get a free lunch and make up the difference.😀 Life is what you make it and quite often you get what you ask for.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
January 30th, 2019 at 1:15:46 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Linemen make crazy money. My financial advisor was telling me they come in with millions to invest.

I've been one since '77. There are two sides to every story. If that's what he's telling you, I'd get a different financial advisor.

And yet there is a standing call, nearly coast to coast to find people willing to take those positions, makes you wonder doesn't it?
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 48
January 30th, 2019 at 1:27:26 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

I've been one since '77. There are two sides to every story. If that's what he's telling you, I'd get a different financial advisor.

And yet there is a standing call, nearly coast to coast to find people willing to take those positions, makes you wonder doesn't it?

Why is that? Iím not completely following. Heís a personal friend, been investing my familyís money for quite some time.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 30th, 2019 at 1:32:10 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

You sound rediculously self destructive.

Yup. One of the features of depression. The game is in turning into a positive. Sometimes you can wrangle the bull into destroying parts of you you wanted changed anyways, and you can make huge strides in life with no real effort on it, save the energy expended trying to wrassle the bull. Other times, you get your teeth kicked in. Happy to say I've avoided the latter and almost got my 8sec outta this sumbish.

Maybe that's the only difference between those who destroy selves and those who destroy others. Maybe we just understand who's responsible for it all. Would be interesting to be able to see the minds of a Paddock vs those of others.

Quote: petroglyph

And I couldn't even get a foot in the door as a meter man. Makes one wonder.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
January 30th, 2019 at 1:56:22 PM permalink
I have to say that I really enjoy when Face posts. That is a guy I would like to go out and get drunk with. Face, if you ever make it to Vegas I am buying.
Living longer does not always infer +EV

• Jump to: