AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 16th, 2019 at 1:05:19 PM permalink
I had this at the other site but was directed to try here as well. Anyone here ever taken a vacation in Russia?

My brother has asked if I want to go there, the two of us. Half a bucket-list thing. We are just starting to check it out. Is there anything to know that isn't common knowledge? Any suggestions? We both prefer things not filled with common tourists (e.g.: I would prefer to see the tunnel system at Disney World to seeing the park if that makes sense.) Red Square and Moscow would be on the list and probably St Petersburg. Looking for an easy pace, not putting in a 15 hour day to see every last thing.

Also suggestions where to lay over a day on the way in or out or both.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
January 16th, 2019 at 1:16:34 PM permalink
I went to the Moscow and Leningrad in February of 1986. Things have changed a bit since then, or so I hear. So, I'm not a good one to give advice, but I would consider going to somewhere more off the beaten track, like around the Black or Caspian Sea or perhaps Kamchatka, if you're feeling adventurous. I'd like to take the Orient Express across Russia one of these days, if that is even still a thing.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
billryan
billryan 
January 16th, 2019 at 1:33:37 PM permalink
I believe the Orient Express runs through Europe, ending at Istanbul. It existed a few years back, as I sat next to someone from its parent company on a JFK bound flight.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mamat
mamat
  • Threads: 3
January 16th, 2019 at 3:07:39 PM permalink
I went to Russia in 2018, and to USSR in 1984.

Hermitage (St. Petersburg) is the 2nd largest museum in the world (Louvre in Paris is the largest).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermitage_Museum
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
January 16th, 2019 at 3:33:23 PM permalink
I am contemplating St. Petersburg for a December trip this year.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
January 16th, 2019 at 3:51:25 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I believe the Orient Express runs through Europe, ending at Istanbul. It existed a few years back, as I sat next to someone from its parent company on a JFK bound flight.

Thanks. Shows you what I know. I was thinking of the Trans-Siberian Express.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 16th, 2019 at 5:56:05 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I believe it is a shadow of it's former self and probably better in the book than in person. Though my train experience is just the Empire Line of Amtrak. That was a glorified commute, and at the time Penn Station felt like a Third World country.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 16th, 2019 at 6:33:38 PM permalink
If you're a trucker, maybe you could shadow a Russian trucker.

Like Reagan said, "Where we're going we don't need roads."

see:

Russian truckers
"What, me worry?"
  • Jump to: