smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
January 10th, 2019 at 2:48:07 PM permalink
Because we're all here partially because of the tracking of baby names, I thought I'd share a surprising fun fact from Wikipedia: 328 girls were named Abcde in the United States between 1990 and 2014.

https://www.vocativ.com/culture/society/people-named-abcde/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abcde
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
January 10th, 2019 at 2:52:14 PM permalink
I remember seeing a story recently about a Southwest employee who got in trouble for making fun of a customer who named her daughter Abcde (pronounced “Ab-city”).

I side with the Southwest employee.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
Thanked by
smoothgrh
January 10th, 2019 at 2:55:27 PM permalink
Could it be used as a place holder for those with only one name? Many computer databases can't handle blank first name and last name fields.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
January 10th, 2019 at 3:05:07 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

I remember seeing a story recently about a Southwest employee who got in trouble for making fun of a customer who named her daughter Abcde (pronounced “Ab-city”).

I side with the Southwest employee.

Yep, that's why it was so surprising that she isn't the only poor kid with that name.

A boy version has been jokingly proposed: 1234 (pronounced Juan Tutrefor).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 10th, 2019 at 3:11:06 PM permalink
At first I suspected it was just a placeholder. When I actually made the lists, I noticed there were quite a few with a name of things like "babyboy" or "undecided." However, depending on how you pronounce it, it rhymes with names like chastity, so why not? I kind of like it, actually.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 10th, 2019 at 3:17:43 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Could it be used as a place holder for those with only one name? Many computer databases can't handle blank first name and last name fields.

Naw. If they were doing that, there would be hundreds named qwerty. It's hard to type abcde in comparison. :)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 10th, 2019 at 3:28:02 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Naw. If they were doing that, there would be hundreds named qwerty. It's hard to type abcde in comparison. :)

Good point. I have come across many folks with first or last names of "FNU" (first name unknown) or "LNU" (last name unknown). A single name (but often very long) is common in a few countries.

As for "Abcde", there's a vowel missing which makes it difficult to know how to pronounce it. It is too bad kids have to live with the names given to them by their sometimes short sighted parents. It's not like they had a choice. I suppose you could pronounce it "UB-ee-sity", which sure sounds like "obesity".
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 10th, 2019 at 3:32:38 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Good point. I have come across many folks with first or last names of "FNU" (first name unknown) or "LNU" (last name unknown). A single name (but often very long) is common in a few countries.

As for "Abcde", there's a vowel missing which makes it difficult to know how to pronounce it. It is too bad kids have to live with the names given to them by their sometimes short sighted parents. It's not like they had a choice.

In my head, I was pronouncing it AB-cede, which could be Latin for "never give an inch". (Ab=not; cede = give in or give up territory). Not the worst result. My name, by contrast, is ancient Arabic for "stranger". Ugh.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
January 10th, 2019 at 4:03:53 PM permalink
I have to think Alexa will decline in popularity thanks to the Echo Dot.
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
  • Threads: 3
January 10th, 2019 at 4:20:49 PM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

I have to think Alexa will decline in popularity thanks to the Echo Dot.

Yeah, there have not been to many girls named Siri since the iPhone.......
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
January 10th, 2019 at 4:29:03 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

However, depending on how you pronounce it, it rhymes with names like chastity, so why not? I kind of like it, actually.

There is also the name 1234 pronounced Juan Tutrefir
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 11th, 2019 at 8:09:01 AM permalink
Naming a human is a heavy burden. With our daughter we tried really hard to hit the middle ground between too common, and just straight-up weird. I think we did pretty well.

For #2 (boy), we're having a harder time.

That being said, I think Abcde is insane and I feel sorry for the poor kid.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
January 11th, 2019 at 9:05:36 AM permalink
My mom wanted to name me Byran. My brother’s name is Hayim, but he goes by Hy. Obviously people greeted him with “Hi, Hy”. He thought that was his name when he was little. I think her plan was to call me By so she could have a Hi Hy and Bye By.

My brother is in the process of adopting a boy. They were at the hospital waiting for an appointment. They would call out "Babyboy" as that is what is on his birth certificate or social security card or something like that.

Found this https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/3953580/babyboy-babygirl-name-error .
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 11th, 2019 at 10:27:10 AM permalink
It's seems that Nmi is a popular middle name.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 11th, 2019 at 11:16:13 AM permalink
I think it would be cool to have a name of just one letter, like B or J.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
January 11th, 2019 at 1:41:20 PM permalink
I've read that it was intended to be pronounced ab-city, which I do think has a nice sound to it, but wouldn't ever name a child that. I do think ancient Greek names and those out of mythology sound cool.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
January 11th, 2019 at 3:09:24 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Naming a human is a heavy burden. With our daughter we tried really hard to hit the middle ground between too common, and just straight-up weird. I think we did pretty well.

For #2 (boy), we're having a harder time.

That being said, I think Abcde is insane and I feel sorry for the poor kid.

An advice on naming babies pointed out this very underrated tip. "Think of your Baby's INITIALS. Amanda Shannon Smith sounds like a lovely name at first until you realize her initials are ASS, which is not so lovely sounding anymore. Also Brandon Adam Davidson sounds pretty cool, until you realize his initials are BAD, which isn't all that cool sounding anymore." Good tip.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
January 12th, 2019 at 12:33:18 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think it would be cool to have a name of just one letter, like B or J.

I've noticed that many websites don't allow one-letter names.

Starbucks is one of those that do, so when I pick up my advance order, it has one letter on the name sticker.
  • Jump to: