smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 35
January 10th, 2019 at 2:48:07 PM permalink
Because we're all here partially because of the tracking of baby names, I thought I'd share a surprising fun fact from Wikipedia: 328 girls were named Abcde in the United States between 1990 and 2014.

https://www.vocativ.com/culture/society/people-named-abcde/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abcde
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 15
January 10th, 2019 at 2:52:14 PM permalink
I remember seeing a story recently about a Southwest employee who got in trouble for making fun of a customer who named her daughter Abcde (pronounced “Ab-city”).

I side with the Southwest employee.
Lock him up!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 218
Thanks for this post from:
smoothgrh
January 10th, 2019 at 2:55:27 PM permalink
Could it be used as a place holder for those with only one name? Many computer databases can't handle blank first name and last name fields.
Voice of the Announcer: Meanwhile, at an abandoned gold mine, a sinister figure lurks. Snidley Whiplash: I love to lurk. It's so me
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 35
January 10th, 2019 at 3:05:07 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

I remember seeing a story recently about a Southwest employee who got in trouble for making fun of a customer who named her daughter Abcde (pronounced “Ab-city”).

I side with the Southwest employee.

Yep, that's why it was so surprising that she isn't the only poor kid with that name.

A boy version has been jokingly proposed: 1234 (pronounced Juan Tutrefor).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1126
January 10th, 2019 at 3:11:06 PM permalink
At first I suspected it was just a placeholder. When I actually made the lists, I noticed there were quite a few with a name of things like "babyboy" or "undecided." However, depending on how you pronounce it, it rhymes with names like chastity, so why not? I kind of like it, actually.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 90
January 10th, 2019 at 3:17:43 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Could it be used as a place holder for those with only one name? Many computer databases can't handle blank first name and last name fields.

Naw. If they were doing that, there would be hundreds named qwerty. It's hard to type abcde in comparison. :)
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 218
January 10th, 2019 at 3:28:02 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Naw. If they were doing that, there would be hundreds named qwerty. It's hard to type abcde in comparison. :)

Good point. I have come across many folks with first or last names of "FNU" (first name unknown) or "LNU" (last name unknown). A single name (but often very long) is common in a few countries.

As for "Abcde", there's a vowel missing which makes it difficult to know how to pronounce it. It is too bad kids have to live with the names given to them by their sometimes short sighted parents. It's not like they had a choice. I suppose you could pronounce it "UB-ee-sity", which sure sounds like "obesity".
Voice of the Announcer: Meanwhile, at an abandoned gold mine, a sinister figure lurks. Snidley Whiplash: I love to lurk. It's so me
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 90
January 10th, 2019 at 3:32:38 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Good point. I have come across many folks with first or last names of "FNU" (first name unknown) or "LNU" (last name unknown). A single name (but often very long) is common in a few countries.

As for "Abcde", there's a vowel missing which makes it difficult to know how to pronounce it. It is too bad kids have to live with the names given to them by their sometimes short sighted parents. It's not like they had a choice.

In my head, I was pronouncing it AB-cede, which could be Latin for "never give an inch". (Ab=not; cede = give in or give up territory). Not the worst result. My name, by contrast, is ancient Arabic for "stranger". Ugh.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
January 10th, 2019 at 4:03:53 PM permalink
I have to think Alexa will decline in popularity thanks to the Echo Dot.
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
  • Threads: 1
January 10th, 2019 at 4:20:49 PM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

I have to think Alexa will decline in popularity thanks to the Echo Dot.

Yeah, there have not been to many girls named Siri since the iPhone.......
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies

• Jump to: