2 votes (10.52%)
1 vote (5.26%)
4 votes (21.05%)

19 members have voted

gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 29
November 12th, 2018 at 3:21:50 PM permalink
Here's a chance to vote for the movie that scared you the most - only one vote per person. We're all different -Babs recently posted that she laughed all the way through the Exorcist. Someone else recently told me that The Shining was clearly the scariest movie of all time. So let's see what the Forum chooses.

I had a hard time whittling this down to only 9 movies to call out in the poll. I opted for the classics -nothing in the last 15 years. And I didn't include The Poltergeist and a dozen other worthy films. So, if you think the scariest film is not on the list, let us know in your comments. And if you want to rank order your top 5 or 10, please educate us!
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 33
November 12th, 2018 at 3:33:09 PM permalink
I just recently saw The Shining in its entirety for the first time. I knew about "Here's Johnny," the twins, and redrum, but despite Jack Nicholson's over-the-top performance, there were still some parts that were freaky and emotionally manipulative. So kudos to Kubrick et al for that.

I was probably scared most by Salem's Lot, despite it being a TV movie, but I was only 9 at the time.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 126
November 12th, 2018 at 3:37:29 PM permalink
I think the scariest movie I ever saw was Re-Animator in the mid 1980s.
A trailer to a movie called The Night Walker scared the piss out of me as a kid, and gave me nightmares for weeks. I finally watched the film this year on Svengoli and the horrifying scene was just a dream sequence.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 14
November 12th, 2018 at 3:41:48 PM permalink
From this list, The Ring. Scared the crap out of me.

Exorcist didn't even faze me. I thought it was pretty forgettable, to be honest.

The Shining is super-creepy, but not necessarily "scary."

Texas Chainsaw, Nightmare, Living Dead, Halloween, and Hellraiser are more gore/slasher films to me. A couple of jump scares, but mostly just body counts.

Alien I would say is mostly suspense.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 39
November 12th, 2018 at 3:59:37 PM permalink
I’m a huge horror fan.

I was 12 years old when the 2003 Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake came out, and watched it at a friend’s house. It scared the hell out of me at the time.

The scary part of Texas Chainsaw massacre compared to other Slasher films is that the plot is completly plausable (for the most part). There’s nothing supernatural going on, just an F’d up guy with a chainsaw wearing a mask made of human skin.

Micheal Myers in Halloween is so scary because, unlike every other slasher, he has no reason or childhood trauma that led him being a serial killer. He’s just pure evil.
Indy70
Indy70
  • Threads: 0
November 12th, 2018 at 4:14:58 PM permalink
I like the older horror b movies, But Halloween was pretty scary.
I voted other, as (Silence of the Lambs) was not on the list. So far its the scariest to me.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1106
November 12th, 2018 at 5:02:45 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I think the scariest movie I ever saw was Re-Animator in the mid 1980s.

I haven't heard anyone mention that movie in a looooooooooong time. I thought it was great. The Bride of the Re-animator and From Beyond too. The Re-Animator didn't scare me that much because it was so over the top. I took it to be a humorous parody of a horror film. I need to watch them all again.

Anyway, I highly recommend this movie for anyone who isn't bothered by a little, okay, a lot, of blood. The plot is a medical school student creates a serum that brings the dead back to life. Let's just say a major character is a severed head in a pan of blood, kept alive by regular injections.

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 89
November 12th, 2018 at 5:22:38 PM permalink
I avoid horror movies for the most part. I have no appreciation for gore.

I went with "other", because none of those listed ended up in my nightmares. Some that did:

Psycho
Poltergeist

Some Shirley Jackson movie, might have been The Lottery story retitled, where people were chosen at random to be crushed under a door loaded with rocks. Vivid image from the victim's POV for years.

Silence of the Lambs.
Body Double, with the big drill maimings (shudder).

Ok, slamming the door to that part of the brain.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
TomG
TomG 
  • Threads: 9
November 12th, 2018 at 5:24:56 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

The scary part of Texas Chainsaw massacre compared to other Slasher films is that the plot is completly plausable (for the most part). There’s nothing supernatural going on, just an F’d up guy with a chainsaw wearing a mask made of human skin.

Using that criteria, Deliverance could make a reasonable case as scariest (but might not qualify as Horror).

Although I like a good horror movie, I didn't start watching them until I was too old to be scared by them. Best horror movie I've seen has been The Descent. Another good one from recent years that I liked was Cabin in the Woods

Generally for these types of movies, I just stick to reading the plot summary from Wikipedia page -- usually get as much out of that as actually spending the two hours to watch it. Some good ones recently have been Hereditary and The Orphan. Cannibal Holocaust is one of the best classics.

A Serbian Film is listed as Thriller on Wikipedia and Horror on Rotten Tomatoes. But that is a movie no one should ever watch.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 126
November 12th, 2018 at 5:31:16 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I haven't heard anyone mention that movie in a looooooooooong time. I thought it was great. The Bride of the Re-animator and From Beyond too. The Re-Animator didn't scare me that much because it was so over the top. I took it to be a humorous parody of a horror film. I need to watch them all again.

Anyway, I highly recommend this movie for anyone who isn't bothered by a little, okay, a lot, of blood. The plot is a medical school student creates a serum that brings the dead back to life. Let's just say a major character is a severed head in a pan of blood, kept alive by regular injections.

The movie does go over the top, but the beginning is serious and what happens to the cat ........
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way

• Jump to: