beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
March 10th, 2018 at 8:08:10 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Well, here I go second-guessing myself. When I woke this thread up again last week, I made the comment:
Now I find some surprising things regarding rates. For some (perhaps bizarre) reason, the airfares I find from my location to Las Vegas are about the same for those two weekends, but the Las Vegas room rates that I have found are much lower for the Memorial Day weekend. Does that make sense to anyone? Has anyone else noticed higher than usual lodging rates for the period of May 16th to 21st or thereabouts, especially when compared to a week later?

MY best guess is that most colleges these days graduate around the first or 2nd week of May. Kids newly 21-22 would see a blast-off trip to Vegas as a rite of passage before they move on. They would be high-dollar customers for bottle clubs, strip clubs, concerts, and ploppy games, many with grad present bux to blow. So I would think they are taking up the cheap plane tix and hotel rooms.

But just a guess.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
March 10th, 2018 at 3:49:22 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Has anyone else noticed higher than usual lodging rates for the period of May 16th to 21st or thereabouts, especially when compared to a week later?

EDC...you may want to adjust the date.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 13
March 10th, 2018 at 4:17:25 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

EDC...you may want to adjust the date.

I was just about to post that.
https://lasvegas.electricdaisycarnival.com/

There is also...
Real Estate convention:
https://www.vegasmeansbusiness.com/event/recon-2018/conventions_164937/
The Preakness in Maryland @ Pimlico
The Royal Wedding in the UK.

And probably a lot of other things...
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 21
March 10th, 2018 at 6:16:35 PM permalink
This all sounds like we should be doing it on the 26th, I think I can fit that around my very hectic work schedule lol.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 153
March 10th, 2018 at 6:24:29 PM permalink
Can someone step up and pick a date for everyone so us out of towners can book airfare?
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
March 10th, 2018 at 7:48:31 PM permalink
Based on the conventions around the 19th and the lack of anything around the 26th I am changing my vote to the 26th. Although keep in mind that is the weekend the WSOP starts I believe. I havenít had time or cared to figure out the WSOP yet.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
March 10th, 2018 at 8:32:05 PM permalink
I vote the 26th. The EDC is a super storm nightmare.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
March 10th, 2018 at 9:22:02 PM permalink
Man, I really have mixed feelings right now, and I probably need to blame myself for the problems I'm encountering: (1) I bought the thread back to life and pointed out the possibility that the holiday weekend might be more expensive.

(2) Early replies suggested a preference for 5/19, and somewhere along the line, I expressed my own preference for that date instead of the holiday weekend.

(3) I then checked on prices and posted my surprise that the holiday might really be the cheaper weekend.

(4) After waiting (perhaps too briefly) and not seeing expressions in favor of shifting the date, I booked my flights on Saturday afternoon.

(5) Then, I later see comments suggesting that we should reconsider the date.

Now, I am wondering what it would cost me to revise my flight reservations if the date were changed! Man, oh man ... what to do, what to do????

I did try calling the airline to ask what the change fee might be, but at midnight my time, the automated system told me that the wait to speak to a rep would be greater than two hours. I hung up and may try again on Sunday.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
March 11th, 2018 at 12:48:39 AM permalink
Whoops. Doc you jumped the gun lol. Well you can all let me know cause Iím not booking until I get home in a month or so. The date could change ten more times between now and then.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 11th, 2018 at 1:31:48 PM permalink
I booked the earlier weekend when the wiz confirmed his availability. I got my cheap flight. Could probably change and still only pay what I expected to anyway.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett

• Jump to: