DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 78
January 20th, 2017 at 7:42:45 AM permalink
The baby, it is much lighter in case you have to carry it to safety.

I think a much more interesting question is how much would you personally be willing to pay to save a random persons life?

Let's assume you will never know who the person is, it may be a family member but more likely a just one of the 7 billion other people on earth.

Would you pay $1 to save that random person? I think most of us would.
Would you pay $5 to save that random person? .
Would you pay $25 to save that random person?
Would you pay $100 to save that random person?
What is your limit?
Order from chaos
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
January 20th, 2017 at 7:52:27 AM permalink
Well with the growing opinion in the USA that Government should be run as a business, how long will it be until the elderly and disabled are seen as obsolete non-functional parts of society and not deserving of government healthcare?
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 32
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
January 20th, 2017 at 10:28:35 AM permalink
Generally the youngest one first. I would hope that a 17 year old would insist on taking the baby above herself anyway. The 90 year old certainly would.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
January 20th, 2017 at 10:55:24 AM permalink
Quote: ncfatcat

Well with the growing opinion in the USA that Government should be run as a business, how long will it be until the elderly and disabled are seen as obsolete non-functional parts of society and not deserving of government healthcare?

That is how they are already viewed, its just that those views can not be expressed in a politically correct manner.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
January 20th, 2017 at 12:14:05 PM permalink
Easy. Perry.
The 90year old. She's the only one who can reward you.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
January 20th, 2017 at 12:18:50 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Easy. peezy.
The 90year old. She's the only one who can reward you.

Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 28
January 20th, 2017 at 1:11:29 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Generally the youngest one first. I would hope that a 17 year old would insist on taking the baby above herself anyway. The 90 year old certainly would.

Interesting you took "the 17 year old" to be a "her." I, for no good reason, took it generically to be a "him." Actually, I re-read the op and he said he's generally a "good guy."

The 17 year old is too young to make a decision like that... This is why they can't even vote, drink, nor die for our country. It would be foolish to let the 17 year old decide or weigh in on this very important decision. Like I said prior, this is a log test, not a feelings test. The 17 year old is beyond the logical choice, for the reasons I listed prior.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
January 20th, 2017 at 1:50:49 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

The baby, it is much lighter in case you have to carry it to safety.

I think a much more interesting question is how much would you personally be willing to pay to save a random persons life?

Let's assume you will never know who the person is, it may be a family member but more likely a just one of the 7 billion other people on earth.

Would you pay $1 to save that random person? I think most of us would.
Would you pay $5 to save that random person? .
Would you pay $25 to save that random person?
Would you pay $100 to save that random person?
What is your limit?

I have one too.

Three toddlers. You have to strangle them with your own hands in front of their parents. This is your only choice or do nothing. The world is absolutely guaranteed to be much better if you do. The babies are such kids as Adolf Hitler and the like. You can never explain the situation to anyone.

You only have 10 seconds to decide after reading the above.

Is that tough enough? Make your decision fast!
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
January 20th, 2017 at 4:18:52 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I have one too.

Three toddlers. You have to strangle them with your own hands in front of their parents. This is your only choice or do nothing. The world is absolutely guaranteed to be much better if you do. The babies are such kids as Adolf Hitler and the like. You can never explain the situation to anyone.

You only have 10 seconds to decide after reading the above.

Is that tough enough? Make your decision fast!

No way. In such a case, you have to figure you're being deceived and lied to in the first place.
I am a robot.
charlestfuller
charlestfuller
  • Threads: 3
January 20th, 2017 at 5:27:47 PM permalink
Romes,

I dont think there is enough information in this scenario to make it a logical test. Assuming the 17 year old dropout will have some life-altering epiphany is a big assumption. We all know people that don't change for the better even after events that should cause them to.

Regarding the other scenario with the train, #1 save the 3 workers over 1. #2, not sure if I want to contemplate that haha....in a split second decision I would probably save my friend.

• Jump to: