1 vote (4.16%)
2 votes (8.33%)

24 members have voted

Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
January 14th, 2017 at 6:07:41 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Pssst. Those rates aren't going down when Obamacare gets repealed. Who are you gonna blame then?

Yes it will because I will be able to buy a Major Medical HSA policy a lot cheaper. I can afford a high deductible, am healthy and willing to gamble I that I won't have to drop $25k before the MM kicks in. And I can afford to put money in a HSA and be way ahead in less than 2 years.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 14th, 2017 at 6:57:11 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Which brings us to where more people don't understand this when the "proof" is right there. You will never get it. You think you are smarter than the general public but you are not.

You have this continued fixation with my intelligence, so let's set that aside for the moment by supposing I'm a drooling idiot. Does that change the fact that the US is spending more money on healthcare than all but two countries in that list?

Are you okay with that? If you were trying to run the country, would you say "hey, let's be really, really inefficient with healthcare spending?"
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Boz
Boz
January 14th, 2017 at 7:38:43 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

You have this continued fixation with my intelligence, so let's set that aside for the moment by supposing I'm a drooling idiot. Does that change the fact that the US is spending more money on healthcare than all but two countries in that list?

Because you are the one that is always putting it out there. Your right to do so, as it is mine to believe that your type of elite thinking is exactly why we have President Trump.

And we do spend too much on HC, Starting with Me. We also spend too much on Food Stamps and WIC. And we collect too much in taxes from people who have made the right decisions in life while rewarding those willing to scam the system.

And yet, the rest of the world is envious of us. After all even our "poor" have $700 cell phones.

Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 15
January 14th, 2017 at 8:31:49 PM permalink
None of those choices fit me. I'm neither a D or a R; I prefer to think for myself.

I have health care, not through an employer or the ACA, although currently it's a short term policy that doesn't include pre existing conditions, of which I have none.

In the past 3 years I've gone from premiums of $314 a month to $468 a month to where the least expensive plan I have access to this year is $902. Instead I'm paying about $225 for my short term policy. This is for a single male.

There appears to be a rule that if your health care costs are over 8.16% of your income then you are exempt from the ACA penalties and you are eligible to purchase a "catastrophic" plan instead, but good luck finding out how to get that to work. Even healthcare.gov wasn't able to help much. And for anyone thinking of looking into this, it doesn't apply if you are approved to receive subsidies.

That catastrophic policy would "only" cost me about $538 a month, but it would cover pre existing conditions. While I don't have any, at least that I know of, I still fear the insurance companies will claim something is pre existing anyway just to get out of paying the bill.

I've been self employed for over 30 years and have had health care most of that time, often at great personal cost. In the past decade the lowest yearly rate increase I had was 17% and the highest was 46%, (or close to that, my memory is failing tonight). To avoid those increases I just changed policies, often every other year and to one that was almost exactly the same but with a slightly higher deductible but was at a much lower cost. But that is a luxury only the healthy can afford. Sick people won't be accepted into a new plan, so they have to stay in the old which gets more and more costly as healthy people drop out, which is how it was designed to be. It was a rigged system. We think of insurance as a way to spread the risk. Insurers design it thinking of ways to eliminate risk.

People that have employee health care don't know how good you have it. For a lot of us getting a decent policy that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is next to impossible, and there is constant worry that the insurer will drop you or deny your claims. Life shouldn't be like that.

After 30 years of dealing with it I believe some form of single payer is the only solution. We make choices about all kinds of things in life, many of those choices determining our lifestyle. If you want to be a philosopher by all means go for it, but don't expect to be driving a Jaguar and sleeping in a 10 bedroom abode, (unless it's Motel 6). But with health care you have no choice. If you fall on the ice and crack your skull open you can't just put a band aid on it. If you get cancer you can't take some Tylenol and hope it goes away. Why must an item that is non-negotiable be a commodity to be bought, sold and profited on?

Of course that alone won't solve things; costs have to come down too but for the providers there is no reason to do so. The higher the prices, the more they make.

Just about everywhere else in the world drug costs are drastically lower than here, often in the 50% range. Americans are subsidizing the drug costs for the rest of the world, where most nations have cost controls. I can get asthma inhalers at less than 20% of what they cost in the US by buying them from a South Pacific nation, and drugs from Canada are routinely 50% of what they are here.

Hospitals are no better, with bills often filled with erroneous and outrageous charges. About 8 years ago I had a knee problem and my doctor gave me an ace bandage. $24. I checked and the exact same thing at CVS was $6.

I don't know what the solution is, but as long as people don't see the "real" costs and burdens of health care nothing is going to change.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
January 14th, 2017 at 8:45:32 PM permalink
I remember a lot of people were worried when Trump was elected President. There were lots of,"I have Obamacare! Am I screwed from now on? " I also read somewhere that Trump said he would not end Obamacare. But who knows with that one? Luckiky, I have health, dental, and vision insurance through my employer so I am protected no matter what Trump does as President this year, but I do have sympathy for those who have Obamacare....
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
January 14th, 2017 at 9:26:54 PM permalink
Americans have many more choices than the few in this survey. They include HSA's, Medicaid, Medicare, programs combining two or more plans and even individually purchased plans. The mere half-dozen choices fail to cover immense sectors of a major and complicated part of the national economy.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
January 14th, 2017 at 10:34:54 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Same here, paying $1615 a month for wife and I. But in someminds, we should be happy because we are helping those " less fortunate than ourselves ".

The liberal thought process is so disgusting.

I don't know your families health situation but that plan to be insane. That's like 19k just to have insurance. How does the average American afford anything else if they have to pay that?
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
Thanks for this post from:
RSCrystalMathmonet0412
January 14th, 2017 at 10:57:31 PM permalink
My health plan consists of googling symptoms and webMD: "strange rash on stomach" "why does pee burn"
100% risk of ruin
Boz
Boz
January 15th, 2017 at 5:03:38 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

I don't know your families health situation but that plan to be insane. That's like 19k just to have insurance. How does the average American afford anything else if they have to pay that?

Plus up to 14K in deductible per year. With no change in health my plan has went from less than $500 to $1615 in 4 years. This is what Trump is talking about and why you see such public opinion against it. The only ones supporting it are pansy ass rich liberals and those who are getting subsidized off of people like me.

No the average person cant afford it, but then again I am paying for stuff I would never need, all part of Obama's master plan.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
January 15th, 2017 at 5:32:41 AM permalink
I have employer provided healthcare. The contract I negotiated with my employer has me paying 10% of the costs. Since I have 1 son still under 27 I get a family plan, for which I pay $180 per month, implying a cost to my employer for the insurance of over $20k per year. When my son turns 27 and I transition to a 'single person' rate, it drops to $60 per month. I pay $10 each time I see a doctor, and around $5 for each prescription.
DJATC asks how an average American can afford $19k a year for insurance. The answer is they don't have to. They can get a job that provides it to you, obviously at the cost of lower wages. The self employed person who makes $20 an hour compares to the employed person with benefits who makes $10 an hour. The self employed person who makes $20 an hour just doesnt want to consider himself a $10 an hour worker, but that is what he is.
So, for example, if you are an AP that makes $20 an hour, you compare to a minimum wage worker who has benefits.

• Jump to: