darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
January 11th, 2016 at 3:54:52 AM permalink
It's creepy - I was just thinking how long its been since I first heard him and how old he must be now. Not 2 or 3 days later, I'm seeing him on the news reporting his death.

Cancer at 69.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 11th, 2016 at 7:57:37 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

It's creepy - I was just thinking how long its been since I first heard him and how old he must be now. Not 2 or 3 days later, I'm seeing him on the news reporting his death.

Cancer at 69.

Sad day
Heroes was one of my all time favorite songs
RIP
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 11th, 2016 at 8:58:09 AM permalink
Check ignition, and may god's love be with you.
A falling knife has no handle.
BasesLoaded
BasesLoaded
  • Threads: 2
January 11th, 2016 at 9:02:50 AM permalink
Really sad news. I loved Bowie. Didn't realize he was sick. We have all his incredible music to keep us company in his absence. RIP, David Bowie.
Chereya
Chereya
  • Threads: 10
January 11th, 2016 at 9:09:58 AM permalink
Pretty bummed to hear the news before bed last night, too. Another musical visionary gone. :( We just watched Labyrinth over Xmas break with the kids. My youngest saw it at 4 years old and she liked it when we expected she'd be scared or creeped out.
HeySlick
HeySlick
  • Threads: 3
January 11th, 2016 at 9:14:24 AM permalink
RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScVi_L817ec
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
January 11th, 2016 at 9:36:24 AM permalink
I really don't know much about David Bowie. He clearly was before my time. Sure, I have heard Major Tom. Didn't really understand it. Figured it was all metaphoric.

Anyway, condolences to those of you who were fans and are feeling a loss today.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
January 11th, 2016 at 9:39:21 AM permalink
While I can't say I was a fan of his entire body of work, his early to mid 80s work... Let's Dance and Never Let Me Down, arguably the most commercial albums of his catalog were works of art to me.

I had the opportunity to see him perform on the Glass Spider tour, once in Toronto and twice in Sydney Australia.. it was a masterpiece of a concert.

May he rest in piece.
Last edited by: rsactuary on Jan 11, 2016
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
January 11th, 2016 at 10:47:07 AM permalink
Another legend done gone
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 11th, 2016 at 10:58:16 AM permalink
Maybe I am just a jerk but I can never understand how celebrities dying effect people. Person lived person died, owell. I feel sad for the family members who have to deal with it just like I do for anyone who dies. I am not putting anyone down who does let stuff like this effect them, just stating that I don't understand it.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
January 11th, 2016 at 12:07:08 PM permalink
I first heard it on the 7am news and since then there's been lots on radio and TV. I'm guessing he's better known in the UK, where he had many hits and five #1's, compared with the US where he had two #1's. BBC radio 4 played some tributes from around the world on the evening news and there will be several TV programmes this evening.

I understand how some artists are a large part of someone's life and can appreciate how the loss of "your idol" might have such an effect. It also takes away the hope of meeting him or obtaining his autograph if that was your aim.

I draw parallels with when Elvis or Michael Jackson died, except David Bowie is British so the larger tributes will tend to be based here. There seems to be a gathering in Brixton (south London) tonight ( http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/11/theres-going-to-be-a-david-bowie-street-party-in-brixton-tonight-5615298/ ) and it is inevitable that his album will be #1 next week.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
January 11th, 2016 at 12:19:13 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Maybe I am just a jerk but I can never understand how celebrities dying effect people. Person lived person died, owell. I feel sad for the family members who have to deal with it just like I do for anyone who dies. I am not putting anyone down who does let stuff like this effect them, just stating that I don't understand it.

I don't consider entertainers as celebrities. Now the guys that put bullets through Bin Laden are real celebrities!
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
kewlj
kewlj
January 11th, 2016 at 12:26:21 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I don't consider entertainers as celebrities. Now the guys that put bullets through Bin Laden are real celebrities!

I think you are confusing the terms 'hero' and 'celebrity'.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
January 11th, 2016 at 12:29:42 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I think you are confusing the terms 'hero' and 'celebrity'.

I don't "celebrate" entertainers.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 11th, 2016 at 12:54:10 PM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

I'm guessing he's better known in the UK, where he had many hits and five #1's, compared with the US where he had two #1's.

There's people born who wouldn't know the individual Beatles now. So, I don't make much of it, there's been so many new people to follow.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 11th, 2016 at 1:44:40 PM permalink

Celebrity or not, if somebody dies old and without too much of a fight, that is something to be thankful for. David Bowie didn't make the average for men, but he must have had a very full life. So, to quote ABBA, I'll just say "Thank you for the music."

Speaking of David Bowie, if you wanted to sound smart when I was in college all you had to do was profess to like classic David Bowie and your perceived IQ immediately shot up 10 points. Another 10 if you could quote lines from The Big Chill.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
kewlj
kewlj
January 11th, 2016 at 2:01:41 PM permalink

I don't "celebrate" entertainers.

I still say that what you described in your earlier post concerning the men who killed Bin Laden, falls more under the category of hero rather than celebrity.

As per not "celebrating" entertainers, that is your call. But don't we 'celebrate' all entertainers when we purchase a ticket to their concerts or movies.

I suppose your point is that you don't want to elevate entertainers as our society often does. I count two entertainers, certainly not David Bowie stature, among my casual friends. Both are just regular people who it is fun to spend time with. I 'celebrate' them with my friendship. :)
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
January 11th, 2016 at 2:21:11 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

As per not "celebrating" entertainers, that is your call. But don't we 'celebrate' all entertainers when we purchase a ticket to their concerts or movies.

No because basically you're just paying to watch them perform something that they wish to do. Why should I celebrate that? I just feel there should be a different word or term used instead of "celebrity."
GWAE
GWAE
January 11th, 2016 at 2:25:56 PM permalink

No because basically you're just paying to watch them perform something that they wish to do. Why should I celebrate that? I just feel there should be a different word or term used instead of "celebrity."

The dictionary says celebrity= famous person. It doesn't say we celebrate them..the words are similar but not synonyms.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
January 11th, 2016 at 2:27:49 PM permalink

The dictionary says celebrity= famous person. It doesn't say we celebrate them..the words are similar but not synonyms.

Fidel Castro is a famous person. Do you consider him a celebrity?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 11th, 2016 at 2:41:25 PM permalink
Me, I like to pop into funerals and yell, "I don't care about this person", because it annoys the people who do.

Not actually, but don't see the point of mentioning why you don't care. We know people don't care about this or that, like I have things I don't care about. Do you care about why I don't care. I don't know.

What's the point again?

heh.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
January 11th, 2016 at 3:06:24 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Me, I like to pop into funerals and yell, "I don't care about this person", because it annoys the people who do.

Not actually, but don't see the point of mentioning why you don't care. We know people don't care about this or that, like I have things I don't care about. Do you care about why I don't care. I don't know.

What's the point again?

heh.

Apparently you cared about people caring, which is another step removed, or prolly I misunderstood ;-)
That was not my point for starting the 'reply' but right now the point has escaped me ;-)
If it comes back soon I can edit, I hope I don't have to try to go to sleep tonight before I remember.
It might have been good, even prophetic, but I can't make any promises...;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
GWAE
GWAE
January 11th, 2016 at 4:03:45 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

What's the point again?

heh.

Why not? What's the point of posting anything on a forum? Or for that matter even having a conversation in person? I think it all falls into friendly dialogue. None of it really matters in life.
  • Jump to: