Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 24th, 2010 at 6:34:16 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Sometimes I think that superstitions are a way to state that you belong to a society. For instance the superstitions about Macbeth are probably done out of respect to a four hundred year old tradition rather than any real belief that the play is "cursed"

Doesn't the superstition make performances of Macbeth impossible? Actors would have to quote all the lines, after all, and even say "Macbeth" several times :P

On to other points raised in the thread:

I don't have any superstitions. I confess to some habits, particularly when playing VP, but a) I don't believe they'll bring me "luck" and b) they change over time.

I think all religious beliefs are superstitions, too. I don't take any of them seriously, but then it helps I'm atheist.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
BigTip
BigTip
  • Threads: 3
August 1st, 2010 at 11:14:20 AM permalink
I try not to be superstitious. I feel that it is unlucky to be superstitious.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 1st, 2010 at 12:54:23 PM permalink
Value?

We can discuss some outrageously bizarre superstitions and their historical basis and perhaps the resultant sociological usefulness of the superstitions, but for a gambler is there any real benefit?

If we sit at the bar and discuss superstitions we are not subject to the dreaded House Edge. So perhaps there is indeed a benefit.

If we abide by a superstition despite our intellectual non-belief do we benefit? Well, I think if we bet the pass line whenever a female who has never rolled the bones before is about to shoot, we will benefit from that superstition ... about half the time anyway!

If we shift from the Dark Side when we ourselves are shooting, will we benefit? If the next roll turns out to be a seven, the answer is yes. If everyone at the table grumbles if we don't switch, we gain only if one of them is drunk and belligerent.

Why is it that gamblers are so sensitive about superstitions?
iamthepush
iamthepush
  • Threads: 6
August 1st, 2010 at 3:13:55 PM permalink
i'm not superstitious, maybe just a littlestitious
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 29
August 1st, 2010 at 3:39:05 PM permalink
There are no more greater people of faith in this world then atheists.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 227
August 1st, 2010 at 4:10:16 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

To me, it's the theater superstition that considers it bad luck to wish someone good luck before a play starts.

I rarely wish people good luck since if I did wouldn't that mean there is less luck available for me?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 1st, 2010 at 5:45:57 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I rarely wish people good luck since if I did wouldn't that mean there is less luck available for me?

You can spare it.

Studies show that by not breaking a mirror you get seven years of good luck. By my calculations, the average driver in the average commute does not break three mirrors several times per trip. That should garner enough good luck to last a lifetime, each trip!
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
August 1st, 2010 at 5:55:15 PM permalink
Nareed, you didn't need to tell us you're an atheist, but I now see very clearly why you want me to disappear from the face of the earth. Basically, you're in a group that often displays hatred, discomfort, unhapiness, enjoys finding fault with others, and almost always blames their woes on anyone but themselves.

Good luck going forward. Remember: Change We Can Believe In!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 2nd, 2010 at 7:28:32 AM permalink
That's a description I've seen used to describe all sorts of different variations of religion.

Being an atheist is easy and requires no faith what so ever, just an absence of belief. I could be wrong, but I don't worry about it in this matter....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
SmithTower
SmithTower
  • Threads: 12
August 2nd, 2010 at 9:30:01 AM permalink
I still say a church steeple with a lightening rod on top shows a lack of confidence.

• Jump to: