RichDwarf
RichDwarf
  • Threads: 5
July 18th, 2015 at 7:18:21 PM permalink
Coaches

Offense - Kyle Shanahan. Very over rated. On the surface he has done a lot with a little the last 2 years in Washington and Cleveland respectively. But looking closer, both teams boasted great offensive lines, and last year's Cleveland offense went downhill very quickly after losing Alex Mach in week 6. Shanahan runs too often (6th most in league ly) and now that teams have learned to blitz from the weakside often vs the zone block bootleg, the scheme has run its course. Credit to Kubiak for adapting last year with Baltimore. Shanahan has not. Shanahan's lines over the years have boasted many pro-bowlers and at least 3 HOFers. This Atlanta version will expose his weaknesses.

Defense - Turned out it wasn't Gus Bradley teaching the great defensive back technique's we've seen Seattle over the past 3 years. My guess is that its not Quinn either, who wasn't even with the team in 2012. Quinn has only been a DC for 4 years. 2 under Muschamp (best defensive coach in college football) and 2 under Carroll (top 5 nfl defensive coaches). Does the emperor have clothes? While Richard Smith has also coached with some great coaches over the years (the 2 have Muschamp in common), his only true leading role was with the Texans from 06-08. I am expecting a somewhat passive 4-3, which should be nothing new to Falcon fans. Fantasy players, there's nothing to see here.

Offense

QB's For 3 years Dirk Koetter took an average QB, a good WR, and a terrible offensive line and produced better than average results. With pass happy Koetter being replaced with sir-runs-alot, expect Ryan to be over rated.

RB's Atlanta passed on both Duke Johnson and David Johnson to take Coleman in the 3rd round. I don't get that. Coleman now adds to the lousy RB stable that lousy coach Kyle Shanahan will have running behind a lousy offensive. line.

WR's See above. Julio Jones is a great player, but will be over valued with this coach switch. Roddy White was a nice player a few years ago. So was Terrel Owens. I won't be drafting either this year. This is the team paying Devin Hester 3 million a year for running good on a few punt returns when for the Bears 2 head coaches ago.

TE's Jacob Tamme is the starter. I'm serious

OL If they're lucky, Atlanta will be able to field 4 average players and Jake Matthews. Actually, look for Matthews to not be a starter this year, with the new coaching staff who has no vested interest in the terrible high draft pick.

I won't be drafting Falcons.

Defense

Front 7 - If you're a mediocre front 7 player needing 3-6 mil per year, you call Atlanta. This year, the worst GM in football has added Adrian Clayborn, Brooks Reed, and Justin Durant tot a stable that already included Paul Soliai and Tyson Jackson. Counting rd 1 pick Vic Beasley, Atlanta is now using more than a 6th of their cap space on 6 average players playing unimportant positions. Need I continue? On the plus side, this group can't actually be worse than last year, and should feature 4 new players (mentioned above) in their 10 man rotation. I wouldn't get near any of them from a fantasy perspective.

2ndary - Desmond Trufant is a top 5 NFL CB. Lose some terrible players. Jalen Collins was a reach in the 2nd round, as I guess were all CBs this year. That Atlanta has throw 6 UDFA darts at DB's this offseason is a testament to this group.
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
July 18th, 2015 at 7:35:45 PM permalink
Quote: RichDwarf

Muschamp (best defensive coach in college football).

The Florida Gators, coached by Muschamp, lost to Georgia Southern at home, and Georgia Southern didn't complete one pass, not one. I don't even know if they attempted to throw one or more, but no completions. How can you call someone who was a head coach at a National Championship, well funded(look at his buy out) program during a loss to a Division II team at home who didn't even complete a pass, the "best defensive coach in college football"?
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
July 18th, 2015 at 7:36:50 PM permalink
You make some good points about the Falcons. What is the over/under on their wins for the season?
  • Jump to: