MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
February 18th, 2015 at 8:27:58 AM permalink
The shooting of Tammy Meyers by another motorist is getting a lot of play in the news.

I put a lot of the blame on the shoulders of Tammy and her son: WTF were the two of them thinking, getting a gun and going out on the streets of Sin City, looking for the guy who said some unkind words to Tammy earlier?

When they did find the car again, and followed it: I wonder how aggressively they acted in their pursuit?

Just what "facts" haven't come out yet?

Obviously they were observed by the shooter, as it appears he followed them home and confronted them.

Nobody deserves to be shot in the head over a road rage incident, and clearly the shooter should be punished, but this could be inscribed on Tammy's tombstone: "She went looking for trouble, and she found it."

Or perhaps "As ye reap, so shall ye sow."
"What, me worry?"
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
February 18th, 2015 at 8:37:23 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

"As ye reap, so shall ye sow."

??? Guess I didn't follow that one.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
February 18th, 2015 at 8:59:04 AM permalink
This is the problem with guns.
Women should have called 911 after initial incident.
Thats what I would do.
Of course gun owners have a different mentality, their mentality is you mess with me, I have a gun, I will mess with you.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
February 18th, 2015 at 9:03:44 AM permalink
By report, there was no violence during the initial contact on the streets: Tammy and daughter went home.

Later Tammy determined to get in herr vehicle and drive around town searching for the fellow who said the unkind words.

Why?

What possible good could come of it?

Her son joined her, and he was packing a gun: why?

He said he did it to protect his family.

Really?

Protect them from what, exactly?

There was no threat: the incident was over long before.

If his goal really was to protect them, he'd have made certain they stayed at home, out of harm's way.

Got to wonder if the son displayed his weapon to the shooter once they spotted him in his car: it wouldn't surprise me if he did, given his clueless arrogance.

My use of the phrase "As ye reap, so shall ye sow" simply means they brought this upon themselves, going out armed and angry, looking for a confrontation.
"What, me worry?"
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
February 18th, 2015 at 9:17:49 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

My use of the phrase "As ye reap, so shall ye sow" simply means they brought this upon themselves, going out armed and angry, looking for a confrontation.

OK. Guess I've just always heard it said the other way around: "As ye sow, so shall ye reap."
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 28
February 18th, 2015 at 9:26:34 AM permalink
Thinks it's possible the son is charged with murder? It's highly probably that his actions led to the death of his mother.
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 2
February 18th, 2015 at 9:38:33 AM permalink
This is why I don't engage with people looking to pick a fight over anything. Being right and/or getting the last word in isn't much consolation when a mentally unstable individual decides you're the one he's going to snap on. If there's literally nothing at stake in a situation other than getting to tell a stranger that they're wrong, then I'll pass.
blount2000
blount2000
  • Threads: 42
February 18th, 2015 at 10:29:39 AM permalink
Quote: sabre

This is why I don't engage with people looking to pick a fight over anything. Being right and/or getting the last word in isn't much consolation when a mentally unstable individual decides you're the one he's going to snap on.

^^This right here.

Almost 25 years ago I was driving from Texas on a trip home for the holidays and some guy pulled into my lane on the interstate and I had to swerve to avoid hitting him. I laid on the horn like I was getting paid for it and he hit the brakes, moved in behind me and got up about an inch from my bumper. He was obviously mad and was flipping me the bird and pointing and everything.

I'm in a minivan with my wife and son (who was only 2 at the time), and I took the very next exit hoping he would keep going but he didn't and stayed right up on me. I pulled into a fast food place trying to get away and he followed me into the parking lot. He finally broke off after I jumped back onto the access road and hit the gas all the way to the floor.

The whole experience frightened the devil out of me, because something is just not right with a person who will chase down a young family in a minivan for blowing the horn (especially when he was the one who swerved into my lane in the first place).

Crazy exists out there in this world, and you do not want it coming into your life if you can help it.

I don't, anyway.
You serious, Clark?
texasplumr
texasplumr
  • Threads: 13
February 18th, 2015 at 10:40:42 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

This is the problem with guns.
Women should have called 911 after initial incident.
Thats what I would do.
Of course gun owners have a different mentality, their mentality is you mess with me, I have a gun, I will mess with you.

This made the morning news here. Sad.

I don't think you understand most gun owners mentality at all. I live in Texas. Everybody pretty much owns at least one and most own far more. Yet, this isn't a common occurrence here at all. Quite the opposite, it is a rarity. If it was commonplace they wouldn't have been reporting on a shooting in Las Vegas on the local morning news program. Hell, they would have plenty of local shootings to report on.

Everybody I know owns firearms. Yet, I don't know a single person who has shot another human. At least, not in civilian life.

I have owned guns since childhood. Yet, in 61 years have never felt the need to hunt down somebody to exact some sort of revenge. I think I am a pretty fair representation of the mentality of most gun owners. At least, most gun owners in Texas. This isn't the wild west anymore.

No. Here, you're far more likely to be shot by the local PD than some armed citizen.

Maybe things are different where you live. But I doubt it.
Stupid is a choice
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
February 18th, 2015 at 10:58:55 AM permalink
Ok, everyone is different, I get that.
This case.
If the son was not a gunowner.
Would the Mom still make the decision to get her son and go hunting for the other car escalating the situation?
I dont think so.
What she and her son did I would never ever do because I am not a gun owner.
As to blaming the death on the son. Nope. He may have escalated the situation but the other party committed murder.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"

• Jump to: