JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
August 11th, 2014 at 4:17:47 PM permalink
So my daughter will be off to ESU, Enormous State University, this fall. And while the Mrs and I want her to have her space, we also want to visit, catch a football game, etc, several weeks into the semester.

So I purchased season tix for the local Div 1 school because that entitled me to buy tickets for their game at ESU as the designated recipient of an early season blow-out tune-up before conference play starts up.

As a first time season ticket purchaser, the package for 6 home games in the general admission section (which is nearly the entire home side) of the local school was $ 60, so not bad, just $ 10 per game. But it includes a parking pass, so that's about another $ 30 value.

A single ticket in the nosebleed section at ESU is $ 79. Times 3 (for me, Mrs. Q, and sister Q). Oh well.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
August 11th, 2014 at 4:39:23 PM permalink
Yeah major college football sucks. Last fall, went to Tunica and we didn't buy tickets to see my alma-mater play at Mississippi, but driving down there, I saw all the Mizzou Tiger tails on the cars driving toward Tunica, and realized I messed up by not buying and wanted to go. We were able to buy them on StubHub for face value, $75/ea, for the corner of the endzone five hours before kickoff. If we would have waited another hour, it would have been $50/ea. Meh. At least we won and had a good time...lol
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 11th, 2014 at 5:28:08 PM permalink
I do a guys trip every year to watch one college football game. We usually buy our tickets outside the stadium if we can't find reasonable prices on Stubhub. I don't think we have ever paid face value or above. We haven't picked our game this year but recent ones have been Ohio State vs Cal Bears, USC vs Arizona State, and Oklahoma St vs Texas.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
August 11th, 2014 at 5:30:13 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

We usually buy our tickets outside the stadium if we can't find reasonable prices on Stubhub. I don't think we have ever paid face value or above.

I think that makes sense, especially against the lowly Fightin' Scapegoats/Whippingboys.

BUT, I'm taking my daughter down to the game with us, and the amount of 2nd guessing from Mrs. Q would have been un-bearable if for some crazy reason we weren't able to find tix at a reasonable price.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
DRich
DRich
August 11th, 2014 at 5:32:04 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

I think that makes sense, especially against the lowly Fightin' Scapegoats/Whippingboys.

BUT, I'm taking my daughter down to the game with us, and the amount of 2nd guessing from Mrs. Q would have been un-bearable if for some crazy reason we weren't able to find tix at a reasonable price.

I understand completely. I could never get away with that with my wife either.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
August 11th, 2014 at 5:34:20 PM permalink
The scapegoats were 4 and 8 last year.....
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
August 12th, 2014 at 2:19:55 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

We were able to buy them on StubHub for face value, $75/ea, for the corner of the endzone five hours before kickoff. l

For those of us out of the loop and behind the times, how do you get the actual ticket when buying game day, five hours before kickoff?
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
August 12th, 2014 at 5:21:11 AM permalink
You can show up outside Rockne Stadium in South Bend half an hour before game time and have your pick of seats for about half face value, even for games like Michigan and Michigan State. It seemed I couldn't give away tickets for the UConn game, finally took $50 for four of them.
A falling knife has no handle.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
August 12th, 2014 at 5:54:54 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

You can show up outside Rockne Stadium in South Bend half an hour before game time and have your pick of seats for about half face value, even for games like Michigan and Michigan State. It seemed I couldn't give away tickets for the UConn game, finally took $50 for four of them.

I go to the Outback bowl here in Tampa every New Years Day for the past 10 years. Its a tradition for me and an out of town friend.
Outback bowl gets the 3rd place big 10 team vs the 3rd place SEC team.
We generally buy tickets on craigslist. If cant find a good deal, then go to the stadium and buy about an hr before kickoff.
Never pay full price. gotten good seats. Alot of fun.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
August 12th, 2014 at 6:41:58 AM permalink
Quote: NokTang

For those of us out of the loop and behind the times, how do you get the actual ticket when buying game day, five hours before kickoff?

For the NFL pro & big-time college games I've attended recently, they scan barcodes on the tickets for entry. I would imagine they are all doing this now, or are at least headed in that direction. So, for a re-seller like StubHub, you can print the tickets out from your home or hotel business center immediately after you buy them. Even right before kickoff.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
August 12th, 2014 at 9:22:44 AM permalink
Quote: NokTang

It seems like most of the events I go to now have e-tickets that they can mail to you. The physical tickets we used to use are becoming a lot less common.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
August 12th, 2014 at 10:40:04 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

It seems like most of the events I go to now have e-tickets that they can mail to you. The physical tickets we used to use are becoming a lot less common.

Yeah e-tickets are usually available up to 2 hrs before kickoff and sometimes all the way up till kickoff. We printed them off at the Southaven, MS library before going.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
August 12th, 2014 at 2:10:42 PM permalink
ESU is 10 to 1 to win the National CHampionship on the first site I looked at.

The "Scapegoats" are lumped in with the Field at 100 to 1.

There were 7 teams listed at 1000 to 1.
DRich
DRich
August 12th, 2014 at 3:16:22 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

ESU is 10 to 1 to win the National CHampionship on the first site I looked at.

The "Scapegoats" are lumped in with the Field at 100 to 1.

There were 7 teams listed at 1000 to 1.

I think Brutus is the best mascot in college football.
  • Jump to: