• Threads: 67
March 18th, 2014 at 5:12:32 PM permalink
Idupdup
LarryS
LarryS
March 18th, 2014 at 5:13:59 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

I will miss him...one of the few comics that I feel stayed funny over the years.

First saw him on Mike Douglas in ealry 70's....and have seen him5 times live over the years.

I remember his early act...in the early 70's...where he talked about bravery...

he said the bravest man in history was

the first man who looked at a cow grazing in the field....and said to his pal..."you see those fluid filled bags, hanging under that smelly animal....I am gonna go over there, get some of that fluid....and drink it.

the first man who first looked at a chicken and said......"you see that white object that looks like it just came out of that birds ass.....I am gonna go get it, crack it open and eat it.

And then he had....the stipid things we say

when we look and look for something and then say...:i looked all around....and would you believe it...it was in the last place i looked:,,,,,,of course its always gonna be in the last place you looked...who the fuck finds something and then keeps looking

or

somone steals a womans purse.......and the woman yells out....."hey come back here".........does that line ever work?

funny man...pure comedian.

ironically, i saw him 2 years ago at atlantis in reno....the original show was richard lewis and richard belzer.......but belzer was ill, and brenner subed for him the last minute. Meanwhile Belzer is still alive and kicking.

beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 18th, 2014 at 5:23:31 PM permalink
I will miss him, too. He was, as you said, funny for a lifetime, not just a passing fad. He was one of the first famous people I ever met. His aunt Eloise had the antiques store in our little summer community in Iowa, of all places, and he used to stop in several times a year to visit her. He was pretty good people.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
LarryS
LarryS
March 18th, 2014 at 5:47:25 PM permalink
good to hear.

I appreciated his humour because it had all to do with a well thought out well crafted joke or observation. He didnt have to take the easy way out and shock us into laughing with vulgarities, or make us laugh from gross-out or bathroom humour.

He had a regular gig in vegas around 8 years ago at the Hilton at a club that held about 200 people.He brought his 10 year old son out onstage to tell a joke to start the show with him. He was a proud father it seems.

Anyway I wont pretend to know the man. But his humaity came out in his humour. And on his website 10 years ago he talked abut performing on 9-11 (or the next day...I am not sure)......and how he agonized over it but felt the people who came really needed to forget about life even for an hour...and how it was a good experience for himself and the audience to let life go on.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 18th, 2014 at 6:18:50 PM permalink
I can't believe he was almost 80. I remember him
from the 70's and being on Carson all the time.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
LarryS
LarryS
March 18th, 2014 at 6:26:11 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I can't believe he was almost 80. I remember him
from the 70's and being on Carson all the time.

he admitted to lying about his age when he came out as a comedian. He wanted to be looked at as one of the new young comedians like Robert Klein, or David Steinberg as at the time. And he did look younger than he was...till he was treated for cancer.

I like you was shocked when he came out on the Howard Stern show and admitted he was 75 a few years ago.
  • Jump to: