Jeopardy "villain" Arthur Chu reviled for suing "game theory"

Did he hire you? Did he win?
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
March 13th, 2014 at 4:15:45 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Jeopardy "villain" Arthur Chu reviled for suing "game theory" —> article here

I truly hate those articles. There have been plenty of people who have done similar things to him. I mean double jeopardy hunting is hardly a new thing Roger Craig's hunted for the daily doubles. Also going for the tie isn't that unusual while most people go for the win with 1 dollar there is effectively no reason for it.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
March 13th, 2014 at 4:53:26 PM permalink
I thought Ken Jennings was also a Double Double hunter, but the article said that he won based more on the buzzer and just knowing more. In one game, I don't recall if it was the last one, it was very close in Double Jeopardy and it seemed all three players were Daily Double hunting. If I were ever on Jeopardy I'd use every element of game theory I could, as I certainly couldn't rely on general knowledge to win, unless I got very lucky or faced very weak competitors.

If the show doesn't like it, they could always make a rule that you must chose the lowest amount available in any given category.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
March 13th, 2014 at 5:02:35 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

If the show doesn't like it, they could always make a rule that you must chose the lowest amount available in any given category.

Wouldn't that become an issue if you're in the final minute of play in round 2 and well behind the player in the lead? You need to play the larger amounts quickly
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 13th, 2014 at 5:13:05 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Wouldn't that become an issue if you're in the final minute of play in round 2 and well behind the player in the lead? You need to play the larger amounts quickly

Good point. I favor keeping the rules as they are. In fact, I think it makes the show more fun to see proper use of game theory.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
March 13th, 2014 at 5:22:25 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 13th, 2014 at 5:48:46 PM permalink
I was surprised his last game went so poorly. The woman who beat him totally tanked the very next game. But he hurt himself a couple of times, too. And he'll be back for sure in the ToC. I have to say I'd be quite happy about winning nearly 300K.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
March 13th, 2014 at 9:10:03 PM permalink
I started watching again recently just to see Chu play. Hey it would make sense to me to use the higher value questions first while your are less fatigued at the beginning of a round. Why not.

But I am frustrated over the enforcement of the rules

In chu's loss the winner won a daily double by answering wrong and then changing her answer....saying the word "peptide" and then changed to "peptic"

But chu said the word Frances Mcdormand....and pronounced it Frances McDarmand....he was ruled incorrect

what theheck do they do with people with overseas accents...i think all their answers can be thrown out
In final jeoparday..the answer was by one contenstant the other day "the catcher in the rye" and the other contestant 'catcher in the rye" and they both got ruled correct
what the heck is that all about. Even though it didnt make a difference in the winner...it still needed to be enforced.

today someone later got subtracted afterthe break for saysing "art" when the answer was really "arts"...fair enough...but be consistent
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
March 13th, 2014 at 9:17:46 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

In final jeoparday..the answer was by one contenstant the other day "the catcher in the rye" and the other contestant 'catcher in the rye" and they both got ruled correct
what the heck is that all about. Even though it didnt make a difference in the winner...it still needed to be enforced.

today someone later got subtracted afterthe break for saysing "art" when the answer was really "arts"...fair enough...but be consistent

Exactly! I glad someone else caught that too. Inconsistencies.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 13th, 2014 at 9:26:35 PM permalink

what theheck do they do with people with overseas accents...i think all their answers can be thrown out

Good question. I hope Teddys finds this thread as I'd be interested in his comments on this.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
March 13th, 2014 at 10:30:55 PM permalink

I started watching again recently just to see Chu play. Hey it would make sense to me to use the higher value questions first while your are less fatigued at the beginning of a round. Why not.

In chu's loss the winner won a daily double by answering wrong and then changing her answer....saying the word "peptide" and then changed to "peptic"

But chu said the word Frances Mcdormand....and pronounced it Frances McDarmand....he was ruled incorrect

Did he immediately change his answer to the correct one the way the winner did with hers ?
PBguy
PBguy
  • Threads: 4
March 14th, 2014 at 12:27:03 AM permalink

I saw something similar a few days ago when someone answered "Cracker Jacks" when it's "Cracker Jack" singular. It's a product name and shouldn't be plural. Plus I think it was about the lyrics to "Take me out to the ball game" so then not only is it the name of the product but it has to rhyme with "back".

I was a little surprised that they allowed it.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
March 14th, 2014 at 6:37:38 AM permalink
Aurthur Chu is doing a Q&A session on reddit right here, where he addresses such issues and getting a pass on "gerrymandering", but not "Francis McDarmand", and why his opponent got a pass with "peptide ulcer". Lot of people thought he was deliberately pushed off the show by Alex and the judges.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
LarryS
LarryS
March 14th, 2014 at 10:53:49 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Aurthur Chu is doing a Q&A session on reddit right here, where he addresses such issues and getting a pass on "gerrymandering", but not "Francis McDarmand", and why his opponent got a pass with "peptide ulcer". Lot of people thought he was deliberately pushed off the show by Alex and the judges.

great info there...including the item that trebek doesnt make ruloings..it all comes from a desk of judges that includes an independent "players advocate" from an outside agency that keeps things with the appearance of honesty. Very good info,

The thing alex has a part in is that...a player can change their answer quickly, and the second answer is used. So if alex jumps in fast...the first answer will stand. If he pauses and allows time for correction...then the second answer can come in.

Mr Chu was not negative at all. He was gracious loser. He said nothing negative about his experience. He has almost 300k and allot of notariety. As he said,,,game show rigging is a federal offense and to suggest it is serious....and he would never do that.
LarryS
LarryS
March 14th, 2014 at 11:11:13 AM permalink
Quote: PBguy

I saw something similar a few days ago when someone answered "Cracker Jacks" when it's "Cracker Jack" singular. It's a product name and shouldn't be plural. Plus I think it was about the lyrics to "Take me out to the ball game" so then not only is it the name of the product but it has to rhyme with "back".

I was a little surprised that they allowed it.

i saw that as well. And yesterday there was a 4k swing when after the commercial break they dissallowed the answer "art" when it should have been "arts".

in the end it probably didnt affect the game. but still an annoying inconsistancy.
LarryS
LarryS
March 14th, 2014 at 12:11:14 PM permalink
Also keep in mind....Mr Chu ca be invited back based on a producers whim.

Of course he would have to come back for the "tournament of champions"

but they just had a week of memorable contestants from the "90's"..kind of a "invitation" tournament

If I were him, I would keep all negativeity out of it...and keep the door open for future invitation tournaments

he is doing well to realize that...and i applaude him
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 15th, 2014 at 7:33:25 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Good question. I hope Teddys finds this thread as I'd be interested in his comments on this.

"The" doesn't make a difference when it's the initial article. Neither does "a" or "an." So both "Catcher in the Rye" and "The Catcher in the Rye" would be correct. (Since the actual name of the novel is "The Catcher in the Rye.")
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
March 20th, 2014 at 10:19:49 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

And then he posted this video showing he has a sense of humor

http://www.freep.com/article/20140313/ENT03/303130084/1035/ent/-Jeopardy-champ-Arthur-Chu-sings-Lost-Jeopardy-after-loss-Ann-Arbor-woman

Well, I sure hope he does better...next weekend on The Price Is Right-ight-ight...

Sorry, couldn't pass that up.
  • Jump to: