aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
December 28th, 2013 at 7:44:39 PM permalink
Don't drink and drive - call AAA (no need to be a member)

Tipsy Tow
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 28th, 2013 at 7:55:59 PM permalink
Seems better than becoming a criminal, but waits would be long if everyone used it. I still never understand why people can't ask police for breath tests before driving without fears of being arrested. Same supply and demand problems I suppose. No employment in preventing nonrevenue crimes.
I am a robot.
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
December 28th, 2013 at 8:18:12 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Seems better than becoming a criminal, but waits would be long if everyone used it. I still never understand why people can't ask police for breath tests before driving without fears of being arrested. Same supply and demand problems I suppose. No employment in preventing nonrevenue crimes.

I could see a legitimate reason for cops not doing it. The truth is any amount of alcohol has a non negligible effect on risk of accidents. Police stations may feel that by giving breathalyzers they are encouraging people to butt right up against that .07 legal limit and then go for a drive. The truth is even if you only have one drink you shouldn't go for a drive. If you absolutely must you can legally buy breathalyzers and test yourself, but again any amount of alcohol increases your risk of impairment and if you choose to drink you should get yourself a taxi. I mean if you have spare money to spend on booze you can find spare money to spend on a cab.

EDIT: Here is a fairly cheap one from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/BACtrack-Keychain-Breathalyzer-Portable-Detector/product-reviews/B006536ZXC/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0 again though don't drink and drive. Any amount of alcohol is bad.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 28th, 2013 at 8:29:19 PM permalink
Local businesses sponsored a free cab ride
for people who were too drunk to drive on
NYE. All you had to do was a cut a coupon
from the newspaper and give it to the driver.
Of course the drivers knew how to clip
coupons too, and would turn in about $150
worth of fake rides. I myself never drove NYE
but magically turned in $200 worth myself.
The supporters who paid for it were millionaire
grocery chain owners, and the owner of Amway,
people like that. They never questioned it,
the program went on for years.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
December 28th, 2013 at 9:03:23 PM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

The truth is any amount of alcohol has a non negligible effect on risk of accidents..... The truth is even if you only have one drink you shouldn't go for a drive. If you absolutely must you can legally buy breathalyzers and test yourself, but again any amount of alcohol increases your risk of impairment and if you choose to drink you should get yourself a taxi.

I don't think that is true. The following graph shows that the effect of alcohol on the relative risk of crashing is actually negligible until you get around .03% to .04% BAC:
BAC vs. relative risk
Twirdman
Twirdman
December 28th, 2013 at 9:20:45 PM permalink
Quote: paisiello

I don't think that is true. The following graph shows that the effect of alcohol on the relative risk of crashing is actually negligible until you get around .03% to .04% BAC:
BAC vs. relative risk

OK maybe I slightly overstated my case. Yeah a BAC of .02 does not pose significant risk though if you're under 160 pounds a single drink will put you at around .03%. So for a large chunk of people any alcohol has a non negligible effect assuming everyone drinks at least 1 shot equivalent which is standard. Bigger guy like me I can get at least 2 shot equivalent and actually about a 3 shot equivalent over a 1 hour span without crossing the .03 barrier where risk starts to go up though again I won't drink anything and than drive. I was simply going most cautious route in what I was saying since I prefer to take the better safe than sorry approach. Cab cost 20 give or take where as a wrecked car is thousands and dead is just dead. And the simple fact is some people would be impaired after only a single shot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 28th, 2013 at 10:10:34 PM permalink
I just think it's junk pseudo science and done for the money. You can't stop the drunks who kill people because they're so drunk they don't know if they're dreaming or not.

Anyways for the rest, call AAA like Ace mentioned.
I am a robot.
Twirdman
Twirdman
December 28th, 2013 at 10:27:51 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I just think it's junk pseudo science and done for the money. You can't stop the drunks who kill people because they're so drunk they don't know if they're dreaming or not.

This is wrong even a small amount of alcohol such as .05% leads to a massive increase in accidents. The problem is most people think that at a mere .05% isn't really impaired, i mean its not even illegal, but it is dangerous. It leads to a 38% increase in number of accidents. Again what is so hard about just not drinking and driving. Oh at a .07 which is legal limit risk of accident is over twice as high and scales up from there.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 28th, 2013 at 11:21:50 PM permalink

Blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah.

Is someone paying you to drive me crazy? I'll double it to stop.
I am a robot.
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
December 29th, 2013 at 1:37:28 AM permalink

This is wrong even a small amount of alcohol such as .05% leads to a massive increase in accidents. The problem is most people think that at a mere .05% isn't really impaired, i mean its not even illegal, but it is dangerous. It leads to a 38% increase in number of accidents. Again what is so hard about just not drinking and driving. Oh at a .07 which is legal limit risk of accident is over twice as high and scales up from there.

And what is your source for these numbers? I provided my source.
  • Jump to: