MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 14th, 2013 at 5:21:25 PM permalink
Ticked at Anthony Bourdain being late for an interview, a seemingly tipsy Oscar Goodman said "he should not be held accountable for his actions after 5 p.m., and that at least he wasn't smoking crack, unlike a certain Toronto official."

see: link

Las Vegas has the mayor it deserves.

Make that, former mayor and husband of current mayor.

How Clintonian.
"What, me worry?"
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
November 14th, 2013 at 5:38:23 PM permalink
I know this is probably what you meant but you area ware that Oscar Goodman is the "ex mayor"?
He is no longer the mayor even though his wife is....not really a huge upsell there.

He was, is and always will be an embarrassment.
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 14th, 2013 at 5:40:52 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

He was, is and always will be an embarrassment.

He was, is and always will be a good showman and PR "front" for Vegas, Baby. Vegas!
Tomspur
Tomspur
November 14th, 2013 at 5:43:29 PM permalink
I didn't realize Vegas was as bad as all that, that we need a clown shoe like this running around "fronting" us.

Perhaps I should rethink my choice of cities in which to live :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
November 14th, 2013 at 6:03:15 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

I didn't realize Vegas was as bad as all that, that we need a clown shoe like this running around "fronting" us.

Perhaps I should rethink my choice of cities in which to live :)

Tom, do you actually live IN Las Vegas?? Most of us that have a Las Vegas address, do not reside in the city of Las Vegas, but rather one of the unincorporated sections of Clark County.

If you do actually live IN Las Vegas, you should know that the mayor does not run the city, like mayors of other cities do. The city manager does. The mayor is largely symbolic, but does sit on city council and runs the meetings, but has only a single vote, just like other council members.
Tomspur
Tomspur
November 14th, 2013 at 6:10:57 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Tom, do you actually live IN Las Vegas?? Most of us that have a Las Vegas address, do not reside in the city of Las Vegas, but rather one of the unincorporated sections of Clark County.

If you do actually live IN Las Vegas, you should know that the mayor does not run the city, like mayors of other cities do. The city manager does. The mayor is largely symbolic, but does sit on city council and runs the meetings, but has only a single vote, just like other council members.

No, you are right, I live in Henderson so no, not IN Las Vegas

I know he or in our case "she" is symbolic hence my agreeance with the wording used, ie "fronting"

Still, a mayor has a physical presence that either lends credo to or breaks down the image of a city in this case Las Vegas.

In my case I have to take crap from Andy Hafen so I'm not sure one is better than the other, I simply like living in Henderson more :)
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
November 19th, 2013 at 8:45:46 PM permalink
At $100,000. usd an hour, Mr. Goodman deserves our respect. When/if wrongfully accused of a crime he's a guy I'd want in my corner. Seeing him stand up for Mr. Mike Tyson during the license hearing was a sight to behold.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
November 20th, 2013 at 10:19:49 AM permalink
Quote: NokTang

At $100,000. usd an hour, Mr. Goodman deserves our respect. When/if wrongfully accused of a crime he's a guy I'd want in my corner. Seeing him stand up for Mr. Mike Tyson during the license hearing was a sight to behold.

Who the hell makes $100,000 an hour? That's $2 Billion a year.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 20th, 2013 at 10:24:08 AM permalink

His major clients never did more than a few hours in jail back in the day, so the guy knows his law.

www.bettercalloscar.com?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
NokTang
NokTang
November 20th, 2013 at 7:37:51 PM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

Who the hell makes $100,000 an hour? That's $2 Billion a year.

As I'm sure you know, not every hour of every day and night is billable. The fact remains, at least in the past, if you had the money for Mr. Goodman you were in good hands defense wise especially if wrongfully accused.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
November 20th, 2013 at 7:44:06 PM permalink

As I'm sure you know, not every hour of every day and night is billable. The fact remains, at least in the past, if you had the money for Mr. Goodman you were in good hands defense wise especially if wrongfully accused.

Yes, but the question remains...did you mean $1000.00/hour, or $100,000/year? I assume $1000.00/hour. $100,000/hour is total BS.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 20th, 2013 at 8:26:37 PM permalink
Then again, maybe he had to "spread a lot of it around" to get his mobsters off.

Not saying he did, not saying he didn't.

But if he did, that would be the freight.
"What, me worry?"
NokTang
NokTang
November 21st, 2013 at 1:35:24 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Yes, but the question remains...did you mean $1000.00/hour, or $100,000/year? I assume $1000.00/hour. $100,000/hour is total BS.

I meant it. Ask Mike Tyson if you don't believe me. No, I don't mean to say each and every hour is $100,000.usd but my understanding is that at least the "first" hour is meaning to retain him it takes that kind of cash. He may spend only an hour(or less, one phone call?) on your case. I don't want nor need to argue about it on this forum. If I had the cash, and was in fact wrongly accused as Mike Tyson was, he's the guy you would want in Las Vegas. If on the other hand you weren't wrongly accused, still, might not be a bad choice assuming you can afford the fees and retainers. It's not all that complicated after all, is it?
  • Jump to: