Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 12th, 2013 at 9:48:57 AM permalink
Miami is the name of a tribe. The whole city needs to change its name...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 12th, 2013 at 9:54:32 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Have some common sense. This reminds me of another board discussion I had about the Paterno Statues at Penn State. I argued they should come down. Students argued that if the statues come down, then the library bearing his name must come down also. I argued just the statues, have some common sense.

The statues were there to honor him as a coach. He didn't pay for them, and that honor may or may not have been warranted after the scandal broke. The library is named after JoePa because he donated a huge amount of cash. Enough that they picked him over the other donors as the person to name the building after. That seems like a completely different situation...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
November 12th, 2013 at 10:07:40 AM permalink
The Washington Redskins MUST change their name.

Let's remove the offensive name (Washington) and just call them Redskins.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 227
November 12th, 2013 at 10:12:53 AM permalink
Quote: Zcore13

Wow, my Arizona Cardinals don't even get on the list as a recognized NFL football team. Now that's almost as offensive as their play on the field. :)

ZCore13

I lived in AZ for 3 years and don't remember seeing them on local TV. But I may have slipped in my cut and paste.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 12th, 2013 at 11:07:31 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Why give some teams a pass? Panthers, Lions, Bengals, and Jaguars are aggressive carnivorous cats. Eagles and Seahawks are just as bad as falcons. So the rams, cardinals, dolphins, broncos, and bears could potentially be OK, I guess.

Bears is actually kinda appropriate unless the team has an actual hetero guy on it. That might be slightly uncomfortable for him.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 12th, 2013 at 11:14:09 AM permalink
Seattle is name after Chief Sealth.... which is of course hardly offensive, honouring the guy with a city name.

Quote: Ayecarumba

Miami is the name of a tribe. The whole city needs to change its name...

Not really... calling something after something isn't offensive in itself.

Which is the point being hugely missed here, but never mind, eh.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
November 12th, 2013 at 11:58:16 AM permalink
I copied and pasted this to my facebook (crediting a message board as I know there are AP players here who would rather not be known)
soulhunt79
soulhunt79
  • Threads: 6
November 12th, 2013 at 12:05:00 PM permalink
The entire game is hateful to people without feet. Maybe change it to the "National Fun League"
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
November 12th, 2013 at 12:09:57 PM permalink
Quote: soulhunt79

The entire game is hateful to people without feet. Maybe change it to the "National Fun League"

In that instance then it's probably just as hateful to people without balls.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 227
November 12th, 2013 at 12:24:56 PM permalink
Quote: soulhunt79

Now that you bring it up isn't calling it "National" xenophobic as well?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: