FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
  • Threads: 69
October 28th, 2013 at 2:34:50 PM permalink
I have to tell you that I am a skeptic and my subscriptions to "Skeptic" and "Skeptical Inquirer" are read cover to cover. Those and a boatload of books that investigate various popular beliefs. (No nasty comments about dice control please.)

But I am open minded. I won't poo-poo something just because it doesn't fit neatly into what I want everything to fit neatly into. So someone sent me a link to the following video of the Canadian Minister of Defense's discussion of UFOs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMxngl9p__0

What do you think? No funny comments. Just a real reaction. I never saw this video before and it is somewhat startling --- at least for today. I am going to look into this guy but for now --- what do you think?
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 28th, 2013 at 2:51:11 PM permalink
Quote: FrankScoblete

I have to tell you that I am a skeptic and my subscriptions to "Skeptic" and "Skeptical Inquirer" are read cover to cover. Those and a boatload of books that investigate various popular beliefs. (No nasty comments about dice control please.)

But I am open minded. I won't poo-poo something just because it doesn't fit neatly into what I want everything to fit neatly into. So someone sent me a link to the following video of the Canadian Minister of Defense's discussion of UFOs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMxngl9p__0

What do you think? No funny comments. Just a real reaction. I never saw this video before and it is somewhat startling --- at least for today. I am going to look into this guy but for now --- what do you think?

Do you mean sentient? Because there could be extraterrestrial alien life that is not sentient (by our definition). Spores, yeasts, viruses, anaerobic bacteria, stuff like that. Prions.

If you mean complex, multisystemic organisms that engineered their own transport, then no. I do not think that there are extraterrestrial aliens on this planet.
A falling knife has no handle.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
October 28th, 2013 at 2:55:32 PM permalink
I always loved the X-files (scully mulder).

Now the Canadian Minister of Defense (or former minister, didn't check) is saying "the tall white ones' have been working with people in Nevada.

Hmm, has the NSA beamed one too many spy rays into his head?

Actually, it is interesting, because you don't get high level people claiming much of anything like this. Based on that last bit the aliens are liberals which won't be good news for Limbaugh and corp.

(no funny comments, what is this a dictatorship now?)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 28th, 2013 at 3:47:37 PM permalink
No, the extra-terrestials came to this site for gambling information and found too much nonsense and bickering about dice setting, so they left.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
October 28th, 2013 at 3:49:35 PM permalink
I believe one or two remained as dice setters. Proving that extra-terrestial is not always extra-intelligent.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 28th, 2013 at 4:53:01 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Do you mean sentient? Because there could be extraterrestrial alien life that is not sentient (by our definition). Spores, yeasts, viruses, anaerobic bacteria, stuff like that. Prions.

If you mean complex, multisystemic organisms that engineered their own transport, then no. I do not think that there are extraterrestrial aliens on this planet.

There's reasonably compelling evidence that the nucleobases that form our DNA (adenine, guanine, cytosine, thymine) have extraterrestrial origins. We may only be here because meteorites carrying the building blocks of DNA crashed into Earth millions of years ago.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/dna-meteorites.html
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 28th, 2013 at 4:58:50 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

There's reasonably compelling evidence that the nucleobases that form our DNA (adenine, guanine, cytosine, thymine) have extraterrestrial origins.

Only if you're from W Virginia.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
October 29th, 2013 at 5:42:23 AM permalink
Is this man really in the know or is he just out of it?
Canyonero
Canyonero
  • Threads: 40
October 29th, 2013 at 6:14:11 AM permalink
Quote: FrankScoblete

Is this man really in the know or is he just out of it?

Total nutcracker... he also wants to overthrow the Illuminati http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6MyB74VoQ4

I hope he was out of office before he totally lost it. Makes you wonder what Sarah Palin is going to babble about 20 years from now.
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
October 29th, 2013 at 6:59:37 AM permalink
Thanks!
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 29th, 2013 at 8:16:20 AM permalink

There's reasonably compelling evidence that the nucleobases that form our DNA (adenine, guanine, cytosine, thymine) have extraterrestrial origins. We may only be here because meteorites carrying the building blocks of DNA crashed into Earth millions of years ago.

Yes, that is what I'm referring to. It may very well be happening continually. That would mean that it is a fallacy to draw a line at terrestrialism: a planet's gravital influence means nothing, just like "up" and "down" mean nothing in space. The line would instead have to be drawn in time at pre-complexity and post-complexity, or pre- and post-sentience.
A falling knife has no handle.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 29th, 2013 at 8:41:57 AM permalink

I think this is entirely possible, if not likely.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
October 29th, 2013 at 8:56:48 AM permalink
I used to buy and sell meteorites on eBay. I would buy large slices and break them up into gram sized chunks. Repackage the pieces into collections of 15 different sample and sell. I ended up with my own collection of 125 different rocks.

For me the answer depends on whether or not any organism could survive entry into the atmosphere. I think they can. The other factor is can they establish themselves.

I have tasted these rocks. The 1st one was an accident. All others are not. That 1st one is called tattonie/so. Is lime green salty. Made me mildly sick for a few days but I Survived.

I love my collection...
Buffering...
  • Jump to: