98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
September 18th, 2013 at 5:49:25 PM permalink
Quote: lojo

I wonder why we are broke? Everybody I know is working harder than they did 10 years ago. Doesn't it take money flowing to create wealth? I remember back in the 70's taking home 137 a week and doing about as good as most are now, better than many actually. Did you know that if the wage for fast food workers, actually everybody at McD's had their income doubled, all the way to the CEO, it would add 60c to the cost of a Big Mac? I'm no economist by any means, I just know that money is cheap right now but they aren't lending it - that has been strangling the economy since 2008. The sequester sure isn't helping cash flow. I always believed that being 'fiscally conservative' started with paying your bills and then maybe NOT taking on new debt, but you paid the bills in your budget first.

Why has the economy 'stalled'? Because the money isn't flowing is my only guess.

But adding wi-fi added $1.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
September 18th, 2013 at 6:03:35 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

That's all that you have? Nothing about Teleprompters or maybe Vince Foster?

Barney Frank killed Vince Foster?
lojo
lojo
  • Threads: 4
September 20th, 2013 at 4:34:20 PM permalink
Quote: Calder

Barney Frank killed Vince Foster?

No, video killed the radio star. We must have our facts right if we are to debate such matters!
lojo
lojo
September 20th, 2013 at 4:37:56 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I am pretty convinced any of these similar statements are a canard. I'm familiar with the practice of certain machinaters with various motives who take the cost of doing business and projecting a very small or very large mark-up. They know the public can't understand any of it. In this case, if the 60c is accurate at all, it would be based on a cost of 55c with the assumption there is no need to mark it up much. In reality, restaurants operate on an enormous mark-up which seems to be an necessity. Next time you order an orange-juice with breakfast, go to the grocery store and figure out how much it actually costs, and chew on that for a while.

According to the Kansas City researcher who did the original wages-to-Big Mac study, McDonald's spends about 17% of U.S. revenue on employee salaries and benefits. So I don't think think he used your suggested method for arriving at the number ($0.68 actually)
Read more: xttp://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-could-double-wages-for-employees-and-make-less-money-2013-7#ixzz2fTl4GVF0

The Business Insider article makes a great case for simply doubling all *employees wages and cutting profits to a lousy $5.5 billion a year.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
September 20th, 2013 at 5:18:00 PM permalink
Don't know much about Barney Fag. Vince Forter is certainly dead. The economy sucks. And, If you squint just a little, Aaron Alexis could be Obama's son.
lojo
lojo
September 20th, 2013 at 5:31:19 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Raise your prices 25-30% and see what happens to your sales. Banks are not lending because:

1. People do not want to invest with the regime in power as they do not know how many new regulations and costs they will impose
2. Banks can make money at no risk by borrowing from the Fed and buying government bonds. Why would the lend with risk?

It has stalled because of increased taxes and regulation. Obamacare alone is a huge disincentive to invest. Threatened "carbon taxes" are another. Promised minimum wage boosts yet another. All in all we have the most business hostile administration since 1933. And people want to know why the economy is stalled?

We would simply have to agree to disagree on this one. Your statements are the party line "excuse". I believe it is a hostage situation pure and simple. Your argument #1 is frail; risk management tells us we CAN invest and pull out at x% loss (or continue to long term profit) if a new regulatory environment takes effect. Keep in mind that a great majority of economy movement is small business, (99%) and not to be a douche, but your average employer of 25 people or less (true small business) is simply not well enough informed to form a cogent argument that would validate that statement. He does, however, happen to be vote Republican on average
#2 I can concede that point, but it is a bit more complicated than that, isn't it.

Taxes and Regulation: The economy stalled because of what occurred prior to 2008. Being gamblers we can take a random draw of SIC codes, say 20 purely at random and take a look at if, indeed, they face new taxes and regulations under the current administration. We can then look at any new business incentives they have available and see if they are better off now, or in 2007. You game? I'm not because I already know the answer.

Carbon Taxes: Sure, let's fall behind the rest of the world here too.

Obamacare: Talk about a hostage situation! The radical nestea party held rational Republicans hostage today - Boehner will bend, the govt will not shut down. And again, let's just go back to millions of uninsured Americans driving up the cost of health care and stay in the back of the pack in relation to developed nations. Decline and fall America, it's the patriotic thing to do! I haven't looked at the numbers on this issue, it is the will of the people and it is the law of the land - no reason to hold the economy hostage by not investing.

Minimum Wage: The old saws just don't play in this era. I've read enough economists (okay I'm a Krugman fan) who debunk that claim on merit. It will actually stimulate the economy if employers also invest! Of course it would only be a burden otherwise and there would be some layoffs and failures. Point: when I was researching chicanery by gtech the other night and saw the misreporting of where a winning lottery ticket was bought (120 miles from where they said it was) I was also looking at the economy and saw a McDonalds operating 20 feet (across the street) from a state with a $2 less minimum wage. They were doing fine and didn't plan to move, they didn't move when they tore the old store down and built a new one in it's place. Sales tax is higher where they are, almost all taxes are - but I ramble. In short, your argument no longer holds water. Google Forbes on minimum wage, read with open mind, report back. Thank you.

Business hostile administration: Rubbish. Had the 2010 HIRE act gone through at the 150 billion the President proposed rather than the trickle of $17.5 billion the "pro-business party" allowed we would have seen a much greater affect.

I bore myself, you are of your opinion and I tire of debating stalwarts so unless you want to rebut, with data and fact, not thought experiments, talking points, or think tank propaganda please expect my responses to be one liners on these subjects.

We're all gamblers here - how do ya think the House gambit over Obama care is gonna work out for the party? lol
lojo
lojo
September 20th, 2013 at 5:32:13 PM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

Don't know much about Barney Fag. Vince Forter is certainly dead. The economy sucks. And, If you squint just a little, Aaron Alexis could be Obama's son.

I'm not sure calling someone a 'fag' adds much to the conversation.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
September 20th, 2013 at 6:12:15 PM permalink

We would simply have to agree to disagree on this one. Your statements are the party line "excuse". I believe it is a hostage situation pure and simple. Your argument #1 is frail; risk management tells us we CAN invest and pull out at x% loss (or continue to long term profit) if a new regulatory environment takes effect. Keep in mind that a great majority of economy movement is small business, (99%) and not to be a douche, but your average employer of 25 people or less (true small business) is simply not well enough informed to form a cogent argument that would validate that statement.

l

I would like to see something to back up your you statement that small business owners are "not well informed."
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
September 20th, 2013 at 6:37:29 PM permalink

I'm not sure calling someone a 'fag' adds much to the conversation.

Neither does making fun of my spelling challenge.
lojo
lojo
September 20th, 2013 at 8:01:12 PM permalink
Quote: timberjim

I would like to see something to back up your you statement that small business owners are "not well informed."

Well, nothing empirical to be sure. But if we look at how 'they vote', and where they get their information, and the way they spew party line politics instead of investigating issues, we can anecdotally surmise - a goodly majority are now faux newz shleep.

I don't keep my finger on the pulse, but I could almost guess what sort of business you are in (if employing less than 25 people) by the way you vote. We are all profiled with (how ya say plural matix?) online, but I can read a person and hunker down in the old fashioned ways.

At the risk of assuming you meant red or blue politics in regards to informed (I did) I will admit it was a goad.

My "feeling" from experience in economies like this is that MOST small business owners are not colored red or blue when they vote with their wallet, when they decide to invest or not; that they get the information they use to struggle and boogie in any economy from the market they operate in, not politics. We live in a new world today where it is NOT the under 25 employees guy who has fuck all to say about 'pro business politics'. If that seems to make my point invalid, so be it, there are reasons.

For the statement you challenged I conjured an archetype. That was of a pawnshop owner in Lousiana, who sued the Obama government for relief after a storm, claiming their business had been damaged by an oil spill when we all know damn well they set up a second set of books to stay out of the "new economy" and did landslide business on the backs on people who actually suffered from an oil spill, a storm, a collapse, whatever. I also conjured a gas station owner in Ohio in 1979, a newspaper owner in Ypsilanti, a media company in Chicago, and over a hundred small business owners I have talked to since 2008.

Red, Blue or otherwise, if you are a true small business owner (less than 500 employees) I can inform you and help you release capital and create jobs. Call it charity, call one point of light, call it, break this bullshit economic hostage situation.

If your post was for the sake of argument you will be given one liners just like dude. If you are a small business owner and want to grow I am all ears and sound advice in public. I have nothing to sell.

• Jump to: