MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 10th, 2013 at 7:51:54 AM permalink
O. J. Simpson will be in a Clark county courtroom next week, available for all with an eye for the morbid to observe and gawk at, provided an empty seat in the courtroom can be found.

He is requesting a new trial, claiming one of his attorneys basically botched the case, i.e. ineffective assistance of counsel, coupled to a claim of conflict of interest.

See: article
"What, me worry?"
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
May 10th, 2013 at 8:24:59 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

O. J. Simpson will be in a Clark county courtroom next week, available for all with an eye for the morbid to observe and gawk at, provided an empty seat in the courtroom can be found.

He is requesting a new trial, claiming one of his attorneys basically botched the case, i.e. ineffective assistance of counsel, coupled to a claim of conflict of interest.

he was convicted in 2008 and sentecned to thirty-three years in prison with the possibility of parole after about nine years, in 2017.

why did it take so long for this hail mary try?
or is this the latest hail mary try in a long string of trys?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
May 10th, 2013 at 8:36:23 AM permalink
Most people feel he was guilty of the crime that happened in LA, but if you look at this issue with an open mind, he was convicted and sentenced based on the prior incident. 7 of the people involved were given plea deals to testify against him. Only CJ Steward was tried with him. Judge Glass used this case to get a TV show and made clear her feeling toward OJ multiple times for the prior incident.

After all, he was just trying to get his stuff that was stolen back and the police offered no help.

Whatever happened in LA should have had no bearing on this trial, but it did.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
May 10th, 2013 at 9:06:26 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Quote: MrV

he was convicted in 2008 and sentecned to thirty-three years in prison with the possibility of parole after about nine years, in 2017.

Probably took so long because he is by now likely dead broke. The public is sick of him so little to be gained by defending him on the cheap.

Chances are he will die inside.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Boz
Boz
May 10th, 2013 at 9:13:22 AM permalink
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/10/oj-to-get-vegas-court-hearing-on-bid-for-new-trial/

A link to a story on the hearing. If true, he deserves a new trial and maybe a plea deal on time served. Next Friday will be very interesting when his former lawyer testifies.

Whether or not the public is tired on him or not, he deserves the same fairness from the court as everyone else.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
May 10th, 2013 at 10:37:46 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/10/oj-to-get-vegas-court-hearing-on-bid-for-new-trial/

A link to a story on the hearing. If true, he deserves a new trial and maybe a plea deal on time served. Next Friday will be very interesting when his former lawyer testifies.

Whether or not the public is tired on him or not, he deserves the same fairness from the court as everyone else.

Looks like a long shot. He may have a case against his attorney but bad advice about breaking the law doesn't change that you did or didn't break the law.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
May 10th, 2013 at 4:45:18 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Let us hope that OJ gets the same judge that The Wiz got for the FOIA hearing.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 10th, 2013 at 4:48:22 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Let us hope that OJ gets the same judge that The Wiz got for the FOIA hearing.

:-). I hope so too. He will be back at the High Desert Prison without even a word why.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
May 10th, 2013 at 5:22:18 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

He will be back at the High Desert Prison without even a word why.

Because he is a P-O-S that ruthlessly killed 2 people.

Oh yeah, we can't talk about that he wasn't found guilty by a jury of his peers.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 10th, 2013 at 7:00:40 PM permalink
I played Blackjack with O.J. at the Tropicana about 20 years ago. He was so drunk the pitboss made him leave the table because he kept putting his head down on the table between hands.

A real class act even back then.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Boz
Boz
May 10th, 2013 at 7:10:03 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

Because he is a P-O-S that ruthlessly killed 2 people.

Oh yeah, we can't talk about that he wasn't found guilty by a jury of his peers.

Oh, you were the witness in Brentwood that they decided against putting on the stand. And to think this all would have never happened if Marsha would have let you testify.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
May 10th, 2013 at 7:50:58 PM permalink
For the record, OJ was found not guilty of the killings in Brentwood.

As far as what happened in Nevada -- I hadn't heard that the police wouldnt help him. I often wondered why he didnt go to the police.

But if it is true that the police wouldn't help, wouldn't you have done the same thing to get your stuff back?

OJ still collects a $25K a month NFL pension which federal law protects against lawsuits and claims. His other property is gone, much of his assets either lost to the Goldman verdict or looted by his daughter.
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
May 13th, 2013 at 6:11:31 AM permalink
This is just starting to get covered on the local news channels here in Vegas.

As far as what's fair, I think a lot of people blame OJ for the killings in LA. Some people think it's fair that he didn't get a "fair trial."

Here in Las Vegas, the justice system is quite different from the system in California.

For example, if I knew then what I know now, I would have disappeared (from California) to Las Vegas for a few weeks before filing for divorce and stated that I had "moved."

That would have been fair to me, but not fair to my X-wife.

Fair is a term often used to describe something that ended up benefiting a particular person.

The lesson learned: know the law in the area where you are trying to abide by it. Also, if you don't like the law where you are, MOVE!
aahigh.com
Boz
Boz
May 13th, 2013 at 6:51:51 AM permalink
Any of the lawyers out there want to put odds on his chances? For informational purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 13th, 2013 at 7:27:17 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

But if it is true that the police wouldn't help, wouldn't you have done the same thing to get your stuff back?

Hell, no. You go to a lawyer and explore your options. If the stolen goods (assuming they were indeed stolen) move across state lines, you may have recourse to Federal agencies as well.

If you break in and try to recover your property by force, you're putting yourself at grave risk. not only of being prosecuted for theft, but also of being shot and killed while breaking and entering.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: