vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
February 5th, 2013 at 8:58:38 AM permalink
Ahhh Thank you Teddy. I've read the Raven before, and I remembered the part about the bust....but forgot it was a Bust of Pallas. Pretty dorky reference I agree.
By the way after Googling "Pallas" (i always thought it was spelled Phallas). I now realize why mythology bores me.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 5th, 2013 at 1:46:29 PM permalink
Oh, well:

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 5th, 2013 at 2:19:17 PM permalink
But what # street car used to ride by Edgar Allen Poe's graveyard ? That is the question.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 5th, 2013 at 2:58:16 PM permalink
There was just too much overwhelming support for SF for them to win. 70-80% of people were rooting for them country wide which told me they were going to lose just based on how things normally go when you bet against the crowd. I did enjoy watching my loyal SF fan friend have a nervous breakdown. I myself am a semi-loyal Browns fan, since it is clear the Browns have no financial incentive to ever win and there is more money in it for them to lose.
I am a robot.
Nareed
Nareed
February 5th, 2013 at 3:25:39 PM permalink
BTW:

Dork: Slang. a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others; a social misfit.

So, please someone explain how that fits a simple literary reference?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 5th, 2013 at 4:01:14 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

BTW:

Dork: Slang. a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others; a social misfit.

So, please someone explain how that fits a simple literary reference?

I know you took offense at something similar before (or maybe this exact thing). I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing, but words such as dork, nerd, geek are often thrown around between friends, usually after something exceedingly brainy has been said. I know you probably don't follow my fishing thread on DT, but I often use the Latin genus/species names for things, and also occasionally do so in real life. Almost always, I get called a nerd for it. It's almost certainly not meant as an offensive put down, but rather as a ribbing between friends.

I would definitely consider you a literary nerd, and would say so, and that statement wouldn't contain even a molecule of negativity =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
February 5th, 2013 at 4:16:34 PM permalink
Somehow I missed the people in Baltimore Complaining this week that the Colts left town. Nobody cares anymore.
Nareed
Nareed
February 5th, 2013 at 5:14:15 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing,

It's a personal thing. I'm offended by the use of such terms.

Quote:

but words such as dork, nerd, geek are often thrown around between friends,

I don't think it's firendly to keep on using such terms if you know the person on the receiving end regards them as offensive. That's needling at best, and obnoxiousness at worst.

Quote:

usually after something exceedingly brainy has been said.

What's exceedingly brainy about something like citing a repeating motiff from a well-known poem?

Quote:

I would definitely consider you a literary nerd, and would say so, and that statement wouldn't contain even a molecule of negativity =)

Read above.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 5th, 2013 at 5:29:19 PM permalink
[deleted]
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 5th, 2013 at 5:42:43 PM permalink
Sorry you take it as offensive, I'll try and remember for the future. I was just trying to explain its usage.

Some find things like your reference to Poe, or your in depth stuff about the Roman Empire in your WovCon updates (or your Rome/football mash up, that was hilarious =)) as “exceedingly brainy” I’d bet 0% of my personal peer group would have gotten the Pallus reference, nor would’ve been able to laugh along with the Rome/football thing. Your literary knowledge is much greater than average. To them, and indeed to me, that’s “brainy” ie above average.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.

• Jump to: