Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 13th, 2013 at 2:12:54 PM permalink
Just watched A Bronx Tale on Cable. Like the scene where De Niro tells his 9 nine year old son " you did a good thing for a bad man "

He also tells the kid he will understand what that means when he grows up, The actor's real life Dad was incarcerated an almost all of the actor's childhood and was shot to death in 2003.

The actor who played that same kid as age 17 was adopted. He was discovered while swimming at Jones beach and won the movie role by his imitation of De Niro in Taxi.

Chazz Palminteri wrote the screenplay as well as playing Sonny in the movie. He said the 17 year old actor Lillo Brancato that he had great natural talent, but to control his life. Lillo and a buddy attempted a burglary to buy drugs and a cop was killed. His buddy got life.

Lillo beat the murder rap, but in 2009 got 10 years for attempted burglary.

Sign of the times :: De Niro reminds me a lot of my late Dad. In the movie De Niro does a sign of the cross as he passes a church, while driving a bus. I figured he would pass that church 20 times a day and it might not be the only one on his bus route.

My dad drove a cab and did likewise every time he drove past a church. At my high school, one basketball player would make the sign of the cross before each foul shot. My dad has been gone 20+ years and I can not remember last time I saw anyone making the sign, except when in a church. CAN YOU ? ? ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
January 13th, 2013 at 2:13:56 PM permalink
I saw Chazz do his 1 man Bronx show last year at the Mirage, it was great.
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 13th, 2013 at 2:16:01 PM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

Damn Wish I had seen that. He reminds me of so many guys I knew in the 60's while collecting for bookies.

Of course, an actor can not be blamed for a screenplay he did not write. I mean Chazz and Rod Steiger in Poolhall Junkies.

What an absolute waste of talent. I mean I had racked the table for Willie Mosconi in 1960 and he was technical adviser for tThe Hustler. He also did all the shots for Paul Newman. Jackie Gleason did his own. That movie was absolutely real. Even had a billiard table in it.

Poolhall Junkies is a piece of shit !!
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 13th, 2013 at 2:20:46 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

My dad has been gone 20+ years and I can not remember last time I saw anyone making the sign, except when in a church. CAN YOU ? ? ?

My x girlfriend always did it when we drove by a church. She was the first, and last, person I've seen do it. Once, I asked her why she did and she said it was out of respect.
100% risk of ruin
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 13th, 2013 at 2:22:10 PM permalink
" My x girlfriend always did." A mutual parting of the ways, I hope. Good girls are hard to find.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 13th, 2013 at 2:24:55 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

" My x girlfriend always did." A mutual parting of the ways, I hope. Good girls are hard to find.

I effed it up like most things.

On my way to Vegas there's the occasional broken down car on the side of the highway. I'll say a quick prayer for them and make the sign. "But by the grace of God there goes my shabby ride" lol
100% risk of ruin
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 13th, 2013 at 2:32:01 PM permalink
Drove my share of clunkers in the past. Always funny when a car won't start or breaks down in the movies. SUCKS in real life.

Hey, if nobody else had put his brand on her, try again ? Everybody f's up from time to time.
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
January 13th, 2013 at 2:37:42 PM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

I really wanted to see Chazz show at the Mirage, but missed it by one day during a Vegas trip last year.

Love the scene where they are at the track "We've been mushed."

And the bar fight scene with the biker gang where Sonny locks
the door and say's "Now you's cant leave."

Wow! What a great movie.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 13th, 2013 at 2:41:24 PM permalink
And if there were any " special effects" I missed them.
  • Jump to: